Catalina Sandino Moreno
|Catalina Sandino Moreno|
Sandino Moreno at the 61st Cannes Film Festival, May 2008
|Born||Catalina Sandino Moreno
19 April 1981
Life and career 
Sandino Moreno was born in Bogotá, Colombia to a pathologist mother and a cattle breeder/veterinarian father. She went to Saint George's School in Bogota where she graduated in 2000. Before becoming an actress, she studied advertising at Pontificia Universidad Javeriana in Bogotá. She relocated to New York City in 2004, after she was noticed for her talent at the Rubén Di Pietro acting school in Bogotá. She was then referred to a casting audition for the 2004 film Maria Full of Grace where she beat over 900 girls for the lead role. Sandino Moreno's role in this movie made her the first Colombian, the second South American, and third Hispanic actress nominated for an Academy Award.
In 2006 she played roles in Fast Food Nation and Paris, je t'aime. In 2008 she appeared alongside Benicio del Toro in Steven Soderberghs Che Part One: The Argentine and Che Part Two: Guerrilla, playing the role of Aleida March de Guevara. She played the role of female Vampire Maria in The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010), based on the novel of the same name by Stephenie Meyer.
Personal life 
Sandino Moreno lived with motion picture electrician David Elwell from 2002 to 2008, whom she met working on Maria Full of Grace. She married him on 15 April 2006 in a small ceremony held in Cartagena de Indias.
In 2009 she gave birth to her first child, a boy, in New York City. 
Awards and nominations 
- Sandino received a nomination for Best Actress at the 77th Academy Awards.
- Sandino received a nomination for Best Actress at the 11th Screen Actors Guild Awards.
- 2005 Best Female Lead Award in the Independent Spirit Awards.
- 2004 Silver Berlin Bear for Best Actress in the Berlin International Film Festival.
- 2004 Most Promising Performer in the Chicago Film Critics Association Awards.
- 2004 Breakthrough Award in the Gotham Awards.
- 2004 New generation Award in the Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards.
- 2005 Golden Space Needle Award for Best Actress in the Seattle International Film Festival.
- Breaking the mould - Telegraph
- `Maria Full of Grace' star came from out of nowhere. | Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Fort Worth, Texas) (via Knight-Ridder/Tribune News Service) (August, 2004)
- (Spanish) EFE, Se casó Catalina Sandino, actriz de "María llena eres de gracia", Caracol Radio, 2006-04-17, retrieved on 2007-05-14
- Catalina Sandino Moreno at the Internet Movie Database
- Photos "Cristiada": Catalina Sandino filming in Durango, México