Catalina Sandino Moreno
|Catalina Sandino Moreno|
Sandino Moreno at the 61st Cannes Film Festival, May 2008
|Born||Catalina Sandino Moreno
19 April 1981
Life and career
Sandino Moreno was born in Bogotá, Colombia to a pathologist mother and a cattle breeder/veterinarian father. She went to Saint George's School in Bogota where she graduated in 2000. Before becoming an actress, she studied advertising at Pontificia Universidad Javeriana in Bogotá. Casting calls for Maria Full of Grace were conducted in both New York and Colombia where she was initially noticed for her talent at the Rubén Di Pietro acting school in Bogotá. She was then referred to a casting audition where she beat over 900 girls for the lead role. Sandino Moreno's role in this movie made her the first Colombian, the second South American, and third Hispanic actress nominated for an Academy Award.
In 2006, she played roles in Fast Food Nation and Paris, je t'aime. In 2008, she appeared alongside Benicio del Toro in Steven Soderbergh's Che, playing the role of Aleida March de Guevara. She played the role of female Vampire Maria in The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010), based on the novel of the same name by Stephenie Meyer.
Sandino Moreno lived with motion picture electrician David Elwell from 2002 to 2008, whom she met working on Maria Full of Grace. She married him on 15 April 2006 in a small ceremony held in Cartagena de Indias.
In 2009, she gave birth to her first child, a boy, in New York City.
|2013||The Bridge||Alma Ruiz||9 episodes|
Awards and nominations
- Breaking the mould - Telegraph
- `Maria Full of Grace' star came from out of nowhere. | Fort Worth Star-Telegram (Fort Worth, Texas) (via Knight-Ridder/Tribune News Service) (August, 2004)
- (Spanish) EFE, Se casó Catalina Sandino, actriz de "María llena eres de gracia", Caracol Radio, 2006-04-17, retrieved on 2007-05-14
- Catalina Sandino Moreno at the Internet Movie Database
- Photos "Cristiada": Catalina Sandino filming in Durango, México