No One Cares
|No One Cares|
|Studio album by Frank Sinatra|
|Recorded||March 24, 25, 26, May 14, 1959 at Capitol Studio A, Hollywood, Los Angeles, California|
|Genre||Vocal Jazz, Classic pop|
|Frank Sinatra chronology|
No One Cares is a 1959 album by Frank Sinatra. It is generally seen as a "sequel" to Sinatra's 1957 album Where Are You? (also arranged by Gordon Jenkins), and was similar in theme and concept to Frank Sinatra Sings for Only the Lonely (arranged by Nelson Riddle).
No One Cares is considered by some to be the singer's darkest album – Sinatra himself purportedly referred to it as a collection of "suicide songs".
No One Cares was released in 1959 in both stereo and mono versions, each containing 11 songs. A 12th song, "The One I Love (Belongs to Somebody Else)," was recorded at the sessions, but left unreleased until 14 years later. In 1990, that song was released in the 3-disc set, "The Capitol Years," but whereas the 1973 release included two carefully placed edits to correct a gaffe in the lyrics and a poorly-played string passage, the 1990 track was presented raw, without these corrections.
The 1991 CD reissue of the album is a new mix from the 3-track tapes. All other issues, including the release in the 1998 UK box set, use the original 1959 stereo mix.
Tracks 1 and 10, though arranged by Gordon Jenkins as part of the original concept, were conducted by Nelson Riddle (uncredited) in Jenkins' absence. On CD, the final three bonus tracks had nothing to do with the original album, and are arranged and conducted by Nelson Riddle.
- "When No One Cares" (Sammy Cahn, Jimmy Van Heusen) – 2:42
- "A Cottage for Sale" (Larry Conley, Willard Robison) – 3:16
- "Stormy Weather" (Harold Arlen, Ted Koehler) – 3:20
- "Where Do You Go?" (Arnold Sundgaard, Alec Wilder) – 2:34
- "I Don't Stand a Ghost of a Chance with You" (Bing Crosby, Ned Washington, Victor Young) – 3:16
- "Here's That Rainy Day" (Johnny Burke, Jimmy Van Heusen) – 3:34
- "I Can't Get Started" (Vernon Duke, Ira Gershwin) – 4:01
- "Why Try to Change Me Now?" (Cy Coleman, Joseph Allan McCarthy) – 3:41
- "Just Friends" (John Klenner, Sam M. Lewis) – 3:40
- "I'll Never Smile Again" (Ruth Lowe) – 3:46
- "None But the Lonely Heart" (Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky, Bill Westbrook) – 3:41
- Bonus tracks not included on the original 1959 release:
- "The One I Love (Belongs to Somebody Else)" (Isham Jones, Gus Kahn) – 3:05
- "This Was My Love" (Jim Harbert) – 3:27
- "I Could Have Told You" (Carl Sigman, Van Heusen) – 3:18
- "You Forgot All the Words (While I Still Remember the Tune)" (E.H Jay, Bernie Wayne) – 3:20
- Allmusic review
- No One Cares at AllMusic
- "SH Forums - View Single Post - Sinatra / Capitol Sound Quality - "No One Cares" (1959 LP)". Stevehoffman.tv. 2010-06-18. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
- "Frank Sinatra - Capitol". Steve-albin.com. Retrieved 2012-03-03.
Ralph J. Gleason liner notes: http://www.johnbrown.tv/linernotes