It automatically blocks known unsafe, fraudulent, phishing and infected websites which can cause harm to your devices. It also blocks unwanted content, which is not suitable for children. Users can use Norton ConnectSafe by setting their DNS server addresses to those of the Norton ConnectSafe servers. Client software for Windows, Mac OS X, and Android is available to automatically configure devices to use Norton ConnectSafe.
DNS queries routed through Norton ConnectSafe are checked using the Norton Safe Web database to ensure that they do not point to malicious or inappropriate websites. Symantec thus seeks to block malware and phishing attempts, as well as pornographic and inappropriate websites if the user desires. Norton ConnectSafe will also intercept misspelled domain names and offer suggestions or display advertising. This redirection breaks some non-Web applications that rely on getting an NXDOMAIN response for non-existent domains.
- Policy A — Security
This policy blocks all sites hosting malware, phishing sites, and scam sites. To choose Policy A, use the following IP addresses as preferred and alternate DNS server addresses:
- Policy B — Security + Pornography
In addition to blocking unsafe sites, this policy also blocks access to sites that contain sexually explicit material. To choose Policy B, use the following IP addresses as preferred and alternate DNS server addresses:
- Policy C — Security + Pornography + Non-Family Friendly
This policy is ideal for families with young children. In addition to blocking unsafe sites and pornography sites, this policy also blocks access to sites that feature mature content, abortion, alcohol, crime, cults, drugs, gambling, hate, sexual orientation, suicide, tobacco, or violence. To choose Policy C, use the following IP addresses as preferred and alternate DNS server addresses
- "Norton DNS Public Beta". Symantec. Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- "Norton Everywhere - Norton DNS". Symantec. Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- Uli Ries (5 June 2010). "Symantec's Norton DNS service to block malware". The H Security: News and Features. Retrieved 2010-06-28.
- "Top 5 Best Free Public DNS Servers To Use", ListyHow, 20 November 2014.
- "Norton ConnectSafe Configure Router". Retrieved 3 June 2014.