Oru Minnaminunginte Nurunguvettam
|Oru Minnaminunginte Nurunguvettam (1987)|
|Produced by||Babu Thiruvalla for Symphony|
|Written by||John Paul|
|Running time||108 minutes|
Oru Minnaminunginte Nurunguvettam (English: Glimpse of the Light of a Firefly) is a 1987 Malayalam drama film directed by Bharathan, written by John Paul and starring Nedumudi Venu, Sharada and Parvathy. The film is about an elderly teacher couple, who bring up a girl with devotion — only to lose her as well as her son. It won two Kerala State Film Awards: Best Actor (Nedumudi Venu) and Best Film with Popular Appeal and Aesthetic Value.
The film narrates a sad story of a Malayali couple. Ravunni Nair and Saraswathi Amma were colleagues teaching in the same school who eventually got married, when the former was 45 and the latter was 40. The greatest sorrow of their life was that they were childless. After retirement from school, Maya comes to stay with them. She was a friend's daughter with whom Saraswathi Amma had stayed with during her earlier teaching career. Maya had got admission into a local college and she was in search of a place for boarding and lodging as well as guardians. Maya, motherless for long, brings with her some cheer. The old couple almost adopt her as their daughter and Maya reciprocates.
Ravi was in love with Maya. He returns from the United States to meet her. Maya's father Bhadran Nampoothiripadu did not approve of Ravi. However, Ravunni and Saraswathi Amma bless Ravi and Maya and get them married. Ravi has to go back to USA; and he leaves Maya with the couple as she is now expecting. She gives birth to a baby boy but dies at child-birth. The couple lose a major prop of their lives. They are left with the baby, who they look after like their grandson. One day, Ravi returns to get his son and now the other prop is also gone. They console each other and comfort themselves to live the rest of their lives.
- Nedumudi Venu as Ravunni Nair
- Sharada as Saraswathi Amma
- Parvathy as Maya
- Devan as Ravi
- M. S. Thripunithura as Bhadran Nampoothiripadu
- Innocent as Parameswaran Nair
- Sankaradi as Menon
- Master Vinu
|1||Kanmaniye||Krishnachandran, Lathika||ONV Kurup|
|3||Melle Melle||K. J. Yesudas||ONV Kurup|
|4||Poovenam||K. J. Yesudas, Lathika||ONV Kurup|
- Nedumudi Venu's performance as Ravunni Nair received great critical acclaim and public appreciation. He won the state award for best actor for this role.
- "List of Malayalam films released during the year 1987". PRD, Government of Kerala. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- "Oru Minnaaminunginte Nurungu Vettam". www.malayalachalachithram.com. Retrieved 2014-10-21.
- "Oru Minnaaminunginte Nurungu Vettam". malayalasangeetham.info. Retrieved 2014-10-21.
- "Oru Minnaaminunginte Nurungu Vettam". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 2014-10-21.
- "STATE FILM AWARDS 1969 - 2008". PRD, Government of Kerala. Retrieved 2009-10-07.
- "AWARDS". mtvasudevannair.com. Retrieved 2009-10-07.