Painted Desert (South Australia)
- For other uses, see Painted Desert (disambiguation)
Created over 80 million years, the Painted Desert in South Australia, distinct from Painted Desert in Arizona, is just as spectacular with its multi-hued terrain. The effects of erosion on the residue from an ancient inland sea and the leaching of minerals in the soil, together lend the myriad colours one sees today. Located towards the north-east of Coober Pedy, Painted Desert is just a few miles away from Arckaringa and is notable also for its distinctive mesas, mountains and geological formations. Not far from here on the way to Oodnadatta you would also see large areas of ground covered with mica. The entire region is desolate and made up of soft, fragile "rock".
- David Olsen (2005-10-10). "Painted Desert". ExplorOz. Retrieved 2006-04-22.
- Wrights Air - official Painted Desert Scenic Flights
- Review of Painted Desert Scenic Flight - on the Road Less Travelled Blog
- Photo Gallery taken during Painted Desert Scenic Flight by Neerav Bhatt
- Bombs away as painted hills debut - Sydney Morning Herald Article (31 March 2007)
- Discovery of the Painted Hills - Sydney Morning Herald Article (15 October 2006)
|This South Australia geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|