|Type of site||Technology journalism|
|Launched||January 16, 2012|
PandoDaily is a web publication that offers technology news, analysis, and commentary, with a focus on Silicon Valley and startup companies. It billed itself at launch as "the site of record for Silicon Valley."
PandoDaily was started by former TechCrunch writer Sarah Lacy on January 16, 2012. The name was inspired by a tree colony in Utah, Pando, whose massive root system covers 106 acres and is continually sprouting new stems or trunks, even after wildfires have destroyed existing trunks. "It’s the perfect metaphor for what I love about Silicon Valley. It’s not just individual hot startups of-the-moment; it’s that unique startup ecosystem that continually shoots up new companies no matter how frothy or scorched everything above ground gets," she wrote.
At launch, PandoDaily had a number of staff writers and guest contributors including Michael Arrington (founder of TechCrunch), Paul Carr, M.G. Siegler, and Farhad Manjoo. Due to a disagreement, Michael Arrington and M.G. Siegler stopped writing for PandoDaily, but they acquired new technology writers including Greg Kumparak (formerly of TechCrunch). Noted journalist Adam Penenberg is editor of the site.
PandoDaily's creator Sarah Lacy was quoted by American Public Media's Marketplace concerning the Bay Area Rapid Transit worker strike of July 2013:
“People in the tech industry feel like life is a meritocracy. You work really hard, you build something and you create something, which is sort of directly opposite to unions.”
Her comments concerning the work ethic of union workers received considerable criticism.
PandoDaily hosts periodic "fireside chat" events with influential people from the world of technology and startups. Past speakers have included Mark Pincus, Reid Hoffman, Peter Thiel, Elon Musk and Tony Hsieh.
- Lacy, Sarah (2012-01-16). "Why I Started PandoDaily". Retrieved 2012-05-26.
- Arrington, Michael (April 9, 2012). "About Pando". Uncrunched.
- Lacy, Sarah (August 20, 2012). "NFW: Adam Penenberg Joins PandoDaily as Editor".
- Clark, Krissy (July 4, 2013). "BART strike reveals tech, transit worker divide". Market Place.
- Roose, Kevin (July 8, 2013). "Stupid Striking BART Union Doesn't "Get" Silicon Valley Values". The Awl.
- Lynley, Matt (January 16, 2012). Business Insider article on PandoDaily launch "TechCrunch 2.0 Has Arrived". Business Insider.
- Kincaid, Jason (January 16, 2012). TechCrunch article on PandoDaily launch "TC Alum Sarah Lacy Launches New Tech Blog, PandoDaily".
- Arrington, Michael (January 16, 2012). "Sarah Lacy Launches Pando Daily Your New Favorite News Site". Uncrunched.
- "Events Archive". Pando Daily.