Patricia Urquiola (born 1961) is a Spanish architect and designer.
Urquiola was born in Oviedo, Spain and now lives and works in Milan. She attended the University of Architecture at Madrid Polytechnic and Milan Polytechnic, where she graduated in 1989 with a thesis followed by Achille Castiglioni. From 1990 to 1992 she was assistant lecturer for the courses held by Achille Castiglioni and Eugenio Bettinelli both at the Politecnico di Milano university and at the E.N.S.C.I. in Paris. Between 1990 and 1996 she worked for the new product development office of De Padova and signed with Vico Magistretti the products: "Flower ", “Loom sofa”, “Chaise” and “Chaise Longue”.
From 1993 to 1996 she had an associate practice with architects de Renzio and Ramerino and was engaged in architectural design, showrooms, restaurants and franchising (Maska/Italy, Tomorrowland Stores/Japan, Des Pres/France). In 1996 she became head of the Lissoni Associati design group, working for Alessi, Antares-Flos, Artelano, Boffi, Cappellini, Cassina, Kartell, and others. At the same time, on her own, she designed for B&B Italia, Bosa, De Vecchi, Fasem, Kartell, Liv’it, MDF Italia, Molteni & C., Moroso and Tronconi and also designed stands and showroom for Knoll, Moroso, Sag 80, and Somma. She has greatly contributed to B&B Italia Outdoor furnitures, releasing three collections from 2007-2009: Canasta, Crinoline and Ravel.
Her products were selected for the 2001 Italian Design exhibition and for the International Design Yearbook both in 1999 and 2001. In 2001 she was chair of the jury for the 19th CDIM Design Award and was lecturer in the Domus Academy. In recent years, she has received numerous awards including A&W Designer of the Year and Design Prize Cologne. In 2011 her set of glass vases All Ambiq has been exhibited at Glasstress, a collateral event of the Venice Biennale. She is currently conducting her professional activity in her own studio in Milan in the field of design, exhibitions, art direction, and architecture.
She designs for Agape, Alessi, Andreu World, Artelano, Axor, B&B Italia, Bart Design, The City of Bilbao, Bisazza, BMW, Bosa, Budri, Chevalier Edition, Il Coccio, De Padova, De Vecchi, Dior, Driade, Emu, Fasem, Salvatore Ferragamo, Flos, Foscarini, Gallotti & Radice, Gandia Blasco, Glas Italia, Kartell, Kettal, Kvadrat, Maurice Lacroix, Liv’it, Louis Vuitton, Peter Mabeo, MDF Italia, Molteni, Moroso, Mutina, Olivari, Panasonic, Paola Lenti, Rosenthal, Champagne Ruinart, San Lorenzo, Tronconi, Viccarbe. Consulting for Moroso, Honda, LG, Panasonic, the Singapore Goverment, the Qatar Museum Autority. Artistic Direction for Mutina.
Patricia Urquiola New Products Salone del Mobile 2014
- Pear Cut copper color – a new type of coloring (showroom) for Agape
- Nub - chair for Andreu World
- Husk - sofa (3 compositions) and Tabàno – armchair and pouf (1 variation – 5 items) for B&B Italia
- Cast products for Beko
- H2O Bilbao – jug for Bosa
- Kitchen Salinas for Boffi
- Bookcase, washbasin, table, coffee table, vases, boiserie, Desk for Budri
- Rever dining armchair (4 variations), Luna (bookshelf – 2 variations) and Altay chair, Altay sofa, Altay coffee tables for CoEdition
- Bandas carpets (6 colors) for Gandia Blasco
- Coffee tables for Glas Italia
- Clap armchair (fiera) and Jellies collection: Underplate, plate 1, plate 2, plate 3, Bowl, Jar, Glass 1, Glass 2, * Glass outdoor, Dessert bowl) for Kartell
- Roll armchair and Mesh sofa, Mesh tables for Kettal
- Gliss-up (2 compositions wardrobe) and Bow Bedside table for Molteni
- Tender – Love me tender (five compositions) and Clarissa hood armchair, Mathilda chair, Mafalda armchair for Moroso
- Tierras (tiles 8 colors) and Selfstanding modular systems for Mutina
- Conca – door handle for Olivari
- Logenze – Carpets for Rucksthul
- Special edition Clarissa lounge armchair with Santoni leather for Santoni
- Zantilam armchair for Verywood
Interior design and architectural works
- 2010 Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Barcelona, Spain
- 2010 W hotel Starwood Group, Vieques, Puerto Rico, Usa
- 2012 Spa, Four Seasons Hotel, Milan, Italy
- 2012 Das Stue Hotel, Design Hotel Group, Berlin, Germany
- 2013 Santoni new boutique, Milan, Italy
- Mandarin Oriental Hotel BarcelonaExtention
- Flos Stand Light & Building Frankfurt
- Flos Stand Euroshop Dusseldorf
- Missoni Shops Berlin, Moscow, Riad, Doha
- Santoni Shop Lugano
- Hotel Sereno Lago di Como, Torno, Como, Italy
- Oasia Hotel, Singapore
- Private House, Melbourne, Australia
- Missoni Shops Venice, Bodrum, New York, Paris, Hong Kong, Casablanca
- Officine Panerai Shops Florence, Paris, Hong Kong, New York, Miami.
- Santoni Shop New York
- Gianvito Rossi Shops London, New York, Tokio
- Pitti Uomo, Florence
- HaworthShowroom Chicago
- Haworth Stand, Orgatec, Cologne
- Jewelry Museum, Vicenza.
- Distillato Restaurant, La Jeune Rue, Paris
- Restaurant, Doha
- Qatar Museum Authority Shop, Doha
- 2003 Galleria Alina Espacio, Mallorca, Spain.
- 2003 Pakhuis Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- 2004 Interieur, Kortrijk, Belgium.
- 2005 Ideal House, IMM, Cologne, Germany.
- 2006 “P.U. Ajuar”, Casa Pasarela, Madrid, Spain.
- 2006 “Pelle d’asino – Donkey Skin”, Verona, Italy.
- 2007 “Dance No.2”, Kölnischer Kunstverein, Art Gallery, Cologne, Germany.
- 2007 “Dance No.3”, SuperSpace, Belgrade, Serbia.
- 2008 “Chasen”, Flexibility, Le Nuove, Turin, Italy.
- 2008 “Purely Porcelain”, London Design Museum, London, UK.
- 2008 “No-where-Now-Here”, Laboral, Contemporary Art Museum, Gijon, Spain.
- 2009 Muzeum Sztuk Użytkowych, Poznań, Poland.
- 2010 “Macrosterias”, Art Basel, Switzerland.
- 2010 “Cosas”, Valencia, Spain.
- 2010 “Contempling The Void”, Guggenheim Museum, New York, NY,USA.
- 2010 Art Basel 41, Basel, Switzerland.
- 2011 “Ossimori”, Casabella Lab, Milan, Italy.
- 2011 “All Ambiq”,Design Miami, Miami, FL, Usa.
- 2011 “Interior Trends”, IMM, Cologne, Germany.
- 2011 Luminaire Miami, , Miami, FL, USA.
- 2011 “All Ambiq”, Venice Art Biennale, Venice, Italy.
- 2011 “Creative Junctions”, National Museum of China, Beijing International Design Triennal, Beijing, China.
- 2011 Luminaire Chicago, Chicago, IL, USA.
- 2011 “O’Clock- Design del Tempo, Tempo del Design”, Triennale Museum, Milan, Italy.
- 2012 “All Ambiq”, Musem of Arts and Design, New York, NY, USA.
- 2013 “O’clock – time design, design time”, CAFA Art Museum, Beijing, China.
- 2013 “Glasstress”, MUDAC, Museum for Design and and Contemporary Applied Arts, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- 2014 "Gathering" exhibitionby Li Edelkoort & Philip Fimmano approaches, Design Museum Holon
Awards and International recognition
- Order of Isabella the Catholic, Awarded by His Majesty The King of Spain Juan Carlos I, Spain.
- Medalla de Oro al Mérito en las Bellas Artes (Gold Medal of Fine Arts), Awarded by His Majesty the King of Spain Juan Carlos I, Madrid, Spain.
- Steelcase 100 Minds from around the world, USA.
- A&W Architektur und Wohnen ‘Designer of the Year’, Germany.
- IMM Cologne, Best of Best of the Interior Innovation Award, Husk Chair by B&B Italia
- European Health & Spa Award, No. 1 in Best Hotel Spa for the Mandarin Hotel Oriental, Barcelona, Spain
- Elle Deco International Design Awardsfor the outdoor furniture Category, Collection Cottage by Kettal
- iF Design Award Gold in the furniture category with lounge collection Hosu for Coalesse.
- Wallpaper Magazine Design Awards, Best trend, Azulej tiles by Mutina.
- Milan Design Award, Best installation “The Revolving Room” for Kvadrat at Moroso Showroom during Milan Design Week
- Australian International Design Award, Furniture and Lighting category. Hosu, Coalesse (Steelcase)
- Red Dot Design Award, Hosu, Coalesse (Steelcase)
- 100 Españoles, for one of the 100 most important Spanish person Being recognized in her professional activities
- Premio Marisa Bellisario for the “Most significant woman” who has achieved great and important goals and who represents the hope and future of our economy and also is the best ambassador of Italy in the world, Roma
- Elle Deco International Design Awards for Husk Bed by B&B Italia
- Red Dot Award for CAST Built-in Oven by Arçelik A.S
- iF Design Award Gold for CAST Built-inn Oven by Arçelik A.S
- Gold Award for Systems for the Openest collection by Haworth, Chicago
- Best of NeoCon Competition for the Openest collection by Haworth, Chicago
-  Products for B&B Italia
-  Official site
-  Patricia Urquiola Furniture Designs
-  Article about Patricia Urquiola
-  Marble Inlay Projects by Patricia Urquiola
-  Patricia Urquiola at the Venice Biennale
- http://www.patriciaurquiola.com/ patriciaurquiola.com
- http://www.designdictionary.co.uk/en/urquiola.htm Patricia Urquiola
- http://www.glasstress.org/event_2011/artist/patricia-urquiola/7_98 Glasstress