Perry Township, Allen County, Ohio
|Perry Township, Allen County, Ohio|
Location of Perry Township, Allen County, Ohio
|• Total||32.8 sq mi (84.9 km2)|
|• Land||32.7 sq mi (84.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.08 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||932 ft (284 m)|
|• Density||108/sq mi (41.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085697|
Located in the southern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Bath Township - north
- Jackson Township - northeast corner
- Auglaize Township - east
- Wayne Township, Auglaize County - southeast corner
- Union Township, Auglaize County - south
- Duchouquet Township, Auglaize County - southwest
- Shawnee Township - west
- American Township - northwest corner
Name and history
Perry Township was first settled in 1830 by one John Ridenour (disputed—see below). The township was officially established in December 1833, and it was organized in the following April.
Although many biographies indicate that the township was first settled by John Ridenour the facts provided by a list of first land owners indicate that the first land owner in the township was Mr. Isaac Shockey owning land in Section 36, in the year 1830. John Ridenour's land was not recorded until 1831.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Perry township, Allen County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Perry Township of Allen County, Ohio Historical Society 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.