Union Township, Auglaize County, Ohio
|Union Township, Auglaize County, Ohio|
Former school in Union Township
Location of Union Township in Auglaize County
|• Total||35.9 sq mi (92.9 km2)|
|• Land||35.9 sq mi (92.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||955 ft (291 m)|
|• Density||53/sq mi (20.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085773|
Union Township is one of the fourteen townships of Auglaize County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 1,902 people in the township, 1,680 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northeastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Perry Township, Allen County - north
- Auglaize Township, Allen County - northeast corner
- Wayne Township - east
- Goshen Township - southeast
- Clay Township - south
- Pusheta Township - southwest corner
- Duchouquet Township - west
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the township has an area of 35.9 square miles (92.9 km2).
Name and history
The township was formed in 1836, while still part of Allen County. One of its earliest settlers was Hugh T. Rinehart, who immigrated to the township in 1839. His house is still in existence; it has been designated a historic site.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
The Wapakoneta City School District encompasses a large part of the township, with the eastern third served by the Waynesfield-Goshen Local School District.
The most of the township is served by the Wapakoneta (45895) post office, with the eastern third served by the Waynesfield (45896) post office. Uniopolis (45888) and Saint Johns (45884) maintain post offices.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Union township, Auglaize County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Auglaize County, Ohio Atlas and History, Piqua: Magee Brother Publishing, 1917. Accessed 5 July 2007. Page 117.
- Williamson, C.W. History of Western Ohio and Auglaize County. Columbus: Linn and Sons, 1905, 766. Accessed 2010-05-03.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2009-03-13.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.