Peter Rabbit (TV series)
|Country of origin||United States / United Kingdom|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||13 (26 In total and two Specials)|
|Running time||11 Minutes (23 Minutes in total)|
|Production company(s)||Silvergate Media
Brown Bag Films
Nickelodeon Animation Studios
|Original run||14 December 2012 – Present|
Peter Rabbit is a CGI TV series that debuted on Nickelodeon on December 14, 2012 in the US and the CBeebies channel and BBC1 on Christmas Day, 2012 in the UK. It is based on the character of the same name from the Beatrix Potter children's books. The series debuted in 2012 with a holiday special, Peter Rabbit’s Christmas Tale, which was watched by three million viewers in the US alone. The first official DVD of "Peter Rabbit" came out on May 28, 2013, as a Walmart exclusive. it contains the show's first eight episodes on a single disc. On October 11, 2013, Nickelodeon ordered a second season of 26 episodes.
The show follows mischievous, charming Peter Rabbit as he overcomes obstacles, outwits predators and avoids danger. Peter wants to grow up to be just like his late father and carries his journal (a guide on how to be a good rabbit) on his adventures with his friends, Cousin Benjamin Bunny and new character Lily Bobtail, in the Lake District of northern England.
Cast and characters
- Peter Rabbit - The title character. Unlike in the original books and other adaptations, he doesn't wear shoes. (voiced by Colin De Paula in the US, Connor Fitzgerald in the UK.)
- Benjamin Bunny - Peter's cousin. (voiced by Peter Harris in the US, Danny Price in the UK.)
- Lily Bobtail — A character created by the production team for the series. (voiced by Michaela Dean in the US, Harriet Perring in the UK.)
- Mrs. Rabbit - (voiced by Stephanie Sheh)
- Flopsy and Mopsy - (voiced by Megan Harvey)
- Cotton-Tail - (voiced by Jenna Iapoopa)
- Squirrel Nutkin - A tailless squirrel, and the leader of the squirrels. (voiced by Kyle D. Massey)
- Mr. Tod - (voiced by Mark Huckerby)
- Mr. McGregor - A human farmer whose vegetables are the target of Peter. His face is kept hidden from the picture. (voiced by Dave Mitchell)
- Mr. Jeremy Fisher - (voiced by Kirk Thornton)
- Jemima Puddle-Duck - (voiced by Sarah Bolt)
- Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle - (voiced by Gwenfair Vaughan)
- Mr. Bouncer - Benjamin's father.
- Dr. Bobtail - Lily's father. He has a strong sense of smell. (voiced by Shawn Curran)
- Mrs. Bobtail - Lily's mother. (voiced by Sarah Bolt)
- Ginger and Pickles - (Pickles voiced by Kirk Thornton)
- Tommy Brock
- Mr. Samuel Whiskers
- Old Brown - (voiced by Dave Mitchell)
Unlike the Christmas special, each of these episodes only begin with "The Tale of...".
|Season||Episodes||Season premiere||Season finale|
|1||TBA||December 14, 2012||TBA|
Season 1 (2012–present)
|No.||#||Title||Original air date|
|1||1||"Peter Rabbit's Christmas Tale"||December 14, 2012|
|2||2||"The Tale of the Radish Robber/The Tale of Two Enemies"||February 20, 2013|
|3||3||"The Tale of Benjamin's Strawberry Raid/The Tale of the Lying Fox"||February 27, 2013|
|4||4||"The Tale of the Greedy Fox/The Tale of the Secret Treehouse"||March 3, 2013|
|5||5||"The Tale of the Angry Cat/The Tale of Mr. Tod's Trap"||March 10, 2013|
|6||6||"The Tale of Nutkin on the Run/The Tale of the Wriggly Worms"||March 17, 2013|
|7||7||"The Tale of Jemima's Egg/The Tale of the Great Breakout"||March 24, 2013|
|8||8||"The Tale of the Lucky Four Leaf Clover/The Tale of the Unguarded Garden"||March 31, 2013|
|9||9||"The Tale of the Start of Spring"||April 7, 2013|
|10||10||"The Tale of the Big Move/The Tale of the Lost Tunnels"||April 14, 2013|
|11||11||"The Tale of the Dash in the Dark/The Tale of the Grumpy Owl"||April 21, 2013|
|12||12||"The Tale of the Down Hill Escape/The Tale of the Cat and the Rat"||April 28, 2013|
|13||13||"The Tale of the Mother's Day Pie/The Tale of the Mystery Plum Thief"||May 4, 2013|
|14||14||"The Tale of the Hazelnut Raid/The Tale of the Broken Bed"||May 11, 2013|
|15||15||"The Tale of the Hero Rabbit/The Tale of the Falling Rock"||May 18, 2013|
|16||16||"The Tale of the One That Got Away/The Tale of Cotton-tail's New Friend"||May 25, 2013|
|17||17||"The Tale of the Runaway Kites/The Tale of the Surprising Sisters"||June 15, 2013|
|18||18||"The Tale of the Giant Pumpkin/The Tale of the Fierce Bad Rabbit"||June 22, 2013|
“Peter Rabbit’s Christmas Tale” (Dec. 14, at 7 p.m. ET/PT), drew 3 million total viewers and ranked as the number-one program with K2-5 and K2-11 across all TV in its time period. It was also the top-rated and most-watched preschool telecast for the week, posting double and triple-digit gains over last year with K2-5 (6.7/891,000, +196%) and K2-11 (4.7/1.6 million, +22%); and A18-49 (.9/940,000, +73%), making it the week's top preschool telecast.
According to 'By The Numbers', Nickelodeon’s brand-new animated series Peter Rabbit hopped to the top of the charts, with its Tuesday, Feb. 19 premiere, which delivered 1.7 million total viewers. The new CG-animated series was also basic cable’s top telecast in its time period (12-12:30 p.m. ET/PT) with K2-5, A18-49, W18-49 and total viewers, posting double-digit gains for the net with K2-5 (5.7/760,000, +21%), A18-49 (+47%), W18-49 (+43%) and total viewers (+31%).
CBeebies broadcasts of the show have been equally successfull with the broadcast on Christmas morning 2012 on BBC1 earning it the highest ratings on any channel in that timeslot.
Some people have criticized the series for not being in keeping with the look or feel of Beatrix Potter's original stories and characters however general response from audiences and critics has been overwhelmingly positive.
At the 2014 Emmy Awards, the show bagged three daytime Emmys and scored another five nominations, earning the most nominations for an animated show this year.
- "Adventure Abounds In Peter Rabbit, Nickelodeon's New Animated Preschool Series Premiering Tuesday, Feb. 19, At 12 PM (ET/PT)". Sacramento Bee. February 7, 2013. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- "Nickelodeon Premieres Peter Rabbit with Holiday Special". People Magazine. December 12, 2012. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- "Adventure Abounds in "Peter Rabbit," Nickelodeon's New Animated Preschool Series Premiering Tuesday, Feb. 19, at 12 PM (ET/PT)". Futon Critic. December 12, 2012. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Milligan, Mercedes (February 7, 2013). "‘Peter Rabbit’ Hops to Nickelodeon (Games)". Daily Dead. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Chozick, Amy (December 5, 2012). "Bet Your Camomile Tea, Peter, You’re a TV Star Now". NY Times. Retrieved February 8, 2013.
- Koch, Dave (May 1, 2014). "Peter Rabbit Bags Three". Big Cartoon News. Retrieved May 1, 2014.