Robinson performing at the SXSW on March 16, 2012.
|Birth name||Porter Weston Robinson|
|Born||July 15, 1992|
|Origin||Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States|
|Occupations||Producer, DJ, musician|
|Labels||OWSLA, Ministry of Sound, Anjunabeats, Big Beat Records, Big Fish Recordings, Astralwerks|
|Associated acts||Zedd, Skrillex, Lazy Rich, Tiesto, Mat Zo, Hardwell, Mikkas, Kill The Noise, Heather Bright, The M Machine|
Porter Weston Robinson (born July 15, 1992) is an American electronic dance music producer and DJ from Chapel Hill, North Carolina. He primarily produces and DJs in the electro house genre, but his 2014 Album Worlds is expected to take a different direction.
In the summer of 2011 he signed a one-EP deal with OWSLA, a new label operated by Skrillex, to release Spitfire. It reached the number one spot on the iTunes Dance chart as well as the number one spot on Beatport's overall release chart, even crashing Beatport's servers upon release. Spitfire was the first-ever OWSLA release.
Robinson next released a single, "Language", on April 10, 2012 through Big Beat Records in North America, and Ministry of Sound everywhere else. The song quickly shot to the #1 overall chart position on Beatport as well as the iTunes Dance chart. The single was premiered initially via a live BBC Radio 1 Essential Mix on January 27. The music video, directed by Jodeb, was released via Ministry of Sound's YouTube channel on August 1, 2012.
On December 17, 2012, a collaborative single with Mat Zo entitled "Easy" was pre-released exclusively on Beatport by Ministry of Sound, and spent two entire weeks as the #1 overall song on the Beatport Top 100 chart. The full official release occurred in April 2013 for the world outside the Americas, and May 2013 for North and South America.
He was voted number 40 on DJ Mag's Top 100 DJs List for 2012, and was the highest climbing artist as compared to the 2011 chart where he sat at number 96.
His debut LP Worlds is set for release some time in 2014.
As a DJ, he has toured internationally and performed alongside artists including Tiesto, Skrillex, and Deadmau5, the latter telling USA Today, "Porter Robinson plans, produces, and plays his own music...Being a DJ generally means being a human iPod. Porter is an authentic artist."
His rise to prominence on the touring circuit began in 2011 when he performed at major music festivals including Ultra Music Festival, Electric Daisy Carnival (3 cities), Electric Zoo, South by Southwest, Global Dance Festival, Virgin Mobile FreeFest, Beyond Wonderland, Electric Forest and Nocturnal Festival.
In September and October 2011, he performed as direct support to Tiesto on his College Invasion tour of the United States and Canada. A mini-documentary focusing on Robinson was recorded from this tour, broadcast on MTV's television network, and uploaded to his YouTube channel. Following this, he began a run of headline dates across clubs in North America as part of "The Spitfire Tour".
Robinson kicked off the following year by performing an Essential Mix that was broadcast live from Hull City Hall, January 28, 2012 on BBC Radio 1 during his first trip to the UK. Shortly after, he announced his first major European headline tour dubbed "The Spitfire Tour Europe", which visited clubs in many cities across the continent over the course of 6 weeks. In June 2012 he embarked on a large, 31-date headline bus tour of North America called The Language Tour, which featured support from Mat Zo and The M Machine.
In September and October 2012, Robinson went out with fellow producer/DJ and friend, Zedd to co-headline the Poseidon Back-To-Back Tour. Robinson also played numerous worldwide festivals that year including Tomorrowland, Coachella, Creamfields, Future Music Festival, Ultra Music Festival, Electric Daisy Carnival, Lollapalooza, Stereosonic, Electric Zoo, Amsterdam Dance Event, Mystery Land, Djakarta Warehouse Project, ZoukOut, and Camp Bisco.
Porter kicked off the 2013 festival season by playing the main stage of Ultra Music Festival. He is currently scheduled to play many more this year including Bonnaroo, Creamfields, Mystery Land, Electric Daisy Carnival (Orlando, Las Vegas, NYC, and London), Paradiso Festival, Wireless Festival, Global Gathering, Tomorrowland, TommorowWorld (in Atlanta), and Fuji Rock Festival. He also performed at X-Games Brazil. On August 3, he performed at Osheaga, Montreal.
- Worlds (2014)
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|Spitfire - Bonus Remixes||
(with Mat Zo)
|"—" denotes album that did not chart or was not released.|
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|2010||"Say My Name"||—||—||—||—||—||—||Non-album single|
|"I'm On Fire"||—||—||—||—||—||—|
(with Lazy Rich and Sue Cho)
|2014||"Sea of Voices"||—||—||—||—||—||—||Worlds|
|"—" denotes single that did not chart or was not released.|
|"Wer Ist Sie?"||Heiko & Maiko||N/A||N/A|
|"Less Go"||Spencer & Hill||Bazooka Records||N/A|
|"Seek Bromance"||Tim Berg||Ministry of Sound||The Battery Pack|
|"We No Speak Americano"||Yolanda Be Cool & DCUP||Sweat It Out||N/A|
|"American Trash"||2011||Innerpartysystem||Red Bull Records||Never Be Content|
|"The Edge of Glory"||Lady Gaga||Interscope||Born This Way|
- http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/code/5793170/porter-robinson-says-debut-lp-is-not-a-party-record-taking-a-break. Missing or empty
- Fusilli, Jim (July 4, 2012). "A Powerhouse, And He's Not Yet 20". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- Kelowna Capital News – Young DJ just starting to make his mark. Bclocalnews.com (2011-02-01). Retrieved on 2012-09-06.
- Youtube interview with Porter Robinson. Youtube.com (2011-06-24). Retrieved on 2012-09-06.
- Less Go! lessthan3.com (2010-12-04)
- Exclusive Interview: Porter Robinson. Salacious Sound. Retrieved on 2012-09-06.
- Interview with Porter Robinson Immediately following his first show
- Beatport Artist Biography
- Magnetic Mag Article
- Seek Bromance. Chubbybeavers.com (2010-10-11). Retrieved on 2012-09-06.
- "Armin van Buuren - DJ Mag's number 1 DJ once again - Blog - Amsterdam Dance Event 2013". Amsterdam-dance-event.nl. 2012-10-20. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "Porter Robinson Updates Fans".
- Say my name Robinson s No 1. The Herald-Sun. Retrieved on 2012-09-06.
- "Porter Robinson Bio, Music, News & Shows". DJZ.com. Retrieved March 11, 2013.
- Ultra Phase 3 Line Up Announced. ultramusicfestival.com (2011-03-07).
- Electric Zoo 2012: The Artists. Madeevent.com. Retrieved on 2012-09-06.
- Porter Robinson. Schedule.sxsw.com. Retrieved on 2012-09-06.
- Beyond Wonderland. beyondwonderland.com
- Nocturnal Festival Texas 2011 – Friday April 29th & Saturday April 30th 2011. Nocturnalfestival.com (2011-04-30). Retrieved on 2012-09-06.
- "Skrillex Announces "Project Blue Book" Tour With Tommy Lee And Dj Aero". Mvremix.com. Retrieved 2012-09-06.
- OWSLA Summer Tour 2011 | Digilove. Digi10ve.com (2011-05-31). Retrieved on 2012-09-06.
- RA: Porter Robinson tour dates. Residentadvisor.net. Retrieved on 2012-09-06.
- Premiere: Porter Robinson’s ‘The College Invasion Tour’ Mini-Doc. Newsroom.mtv.com (2011-11-30). Retrieved on 2012-09-06.
- AM Only (Porter Robinson Announces Spitfire Tour). Amonly.tumblr.com. Retrieved on 2012-09-06.
- ">[tour-with-mat-zo-the-m-machine/ Porter Robinson Announces ‘The Language Tour’ with Mat Zo & The M Machine. Beatdreams.com (2012-05-07). Retrieved on 2012-09-06.
- Porter Robinson & Zedd’s Poseidon Back-To-Back Tour Dates Announced | Elektrodaily. elektrodaily.com. Retrieved on 2013-02-24.
- "Porter Robinson - Worlds (Album Announce)". YouTube. 2014-02-10.
- "Porter Robinson – Chart History: Dance/Electronic Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Porter Robinson – Chart History: Heatseekers Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Porter Robinson – Chart History: Dance/Electronic Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Discografie Porter Robinson". ultratop.be. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- Peak positions in Ireland:
- For: "Language": "Chart Archive > Irish Singles > Week ending: 30th August 2012". (IRMA).
- "Porter Robinson > Scottish Charts". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2013-08-08.
- "Porter Robinson > UK Charts". Official Charts Company.
- Peak positions for Dance singles in the UK:
- "Amazon.com: The Edge Of Glory: Lady Gaga: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-08-20.