Poway High School
|Poway High School|
Faithful Titans we will be through the years to you
|15500 Espola Road
Poway, California, United States
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Poway Unified School District|
|Color(s)||Emerald Greenand Gray|
|Fight Song||Sons of Westwood|
|Website||Poway High School|
Poway High School is a four-year secondary school in southern California accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. Established in 1961, its approximately 2,408 students are from the suburban communities of Poway and Rancho Bernardo, north of the city of San Diego. The school has curricula for university-bound, college-bound, and vocation-bound graduates. About 1% of the high school's graduates join the military, 3% get civilian employment; 1% enroll in special schools, 37% enroll in two-year colleges, and 54% go to four-year colleges and universities. Some of its alumni are famous athletes.
The high school has a campus with several buildings. Elective course offerings include agriculture, floral design, architectural design, and computer animation. Other activities include automobile repair and design, choir, marching band, and photography. Its athletic teams are called the Titans. It has a Theatre Guild.
The four-year secondary school is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges. It has approximately 2,408 students and employs 90 teachers, 62 support staff, 4 administrators, 4 counselors, 1 psychologist and 1 librarian. The length of its class periods vary and add to 297 minutes per week. Every Monday is a "professional growth day" with 48-minute periods. 2 days a week periods are 57 minutes and 114 minutes another 2 days a week.
The school was established in September 1961 to be the first of five high schools for the Poway Unified School District. The general population in the district reached about 186,195 in 2014, of which about 33,000 were students, including kindergarten through the twelfth grade. The students of Poway High School are from the suburban communities of Poway and Rancho Bernardo which are 15 miles northeast of the City of San Diego.
Students take required classes in English, Social Science, Mathematics, Physical Science, Biological Science, Health, Physical Education, and Fine Arts. They must pass the CAHSEE in English Language Arts and Mathematics. They also take a required amount of elective classes.. There are three majors: University-bound, College-bound, and high school graduation. The last take electives based on their vocational interests. There are advenced placement, honors, and occupational courses. There are also English language and remedial courses..
In the 2012-2013 Poway students scored higher than the national means on the SAT test, 784 students took AP exams and 4 were National Merit semi-finalists. Student pursuits following graduation have been: 1% in the military, 3% full-time employment; 1% in special schools, 37% in two-year colleges and 54% four-year colleges and universities..
Famous alumni include the following:
- Jud Buechler – Former NBA Player most notably for the Chicago Bulls. Has 3 NBA Championship rings with the Bulls.
- Tony Gwynn Jr. – MLB Player Los Angeles Dodgers, son of Padre Hall of Famer.
- Charley Hoffman – PGA Tour Member. Won the 2007 Bob Hope Chrysler Classic and the 2010 Deutsche Bank Championship.
- Bobby Lee – Comedian on MADtv.
- Phil Plantier – Former Major League Baseball player.
- Brian Rast – Professional poker player who won two WSOP bracelets at the 2011 World Series of Poker.
- Jesse Taylor - wrestler; currently a professional mixed martial artist
- Drew Wahlroos – Linebacker for the St. Louis Rams.
- Marvell Wynne II – Soccer defender, who currently plays for the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer
- Tom Delonge-Musician Blink-182
- "Poway High - Reports (CA Dept of Education)". Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- Site Plan, Poway High School. Retrieved, 12:53 AM 8-18-14
- Poway High School, Google Maps. Retrieved, 12:58 AM 8-18-14
- About Poway High School, Retrieved, 12:39AM, 8-18-14
- Glae Thien. October 12, 2007 Poway rallies to stay unbeaten, Retrieved, 1:35 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- Kevin Gemmell. January 22, 2006. Former Titans wrestler a natural fit coaching Slammers feeder program Retrieved, 1:35 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- Boyce Garrison. December 30, 2007. Actions speak louder than words for Poway Retrieved, 1:35 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- North County Times. Feb. 5, 2004 PHS Theatre Guild to perform 'Bus Stop' Retrieved, 1:50 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- U-T. October 15, 2004. North Inland FYI . . . Poway High School Theatre Guild . . . Retrieved, 2:02 AM 8-18-14 San Diego, CA: The Union-Tribune
- Poway High School. 2014. General Information, School, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. An Overview, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Community, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Graduation Requirements, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Curriculum, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Academic Recognition, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
- Poway High School. 2014. Post Secondary Pursuits, Poway High School Profile, 2013-2014.
-  Accessed June 19, 2008.
- Tony Gwynn Jr. Bio Accessed June 19, 2008
- Charley Hoffman Biography. Accessed October 3, 2009.
- 'Mad' man. San Diego Union Tribune, September 19, 2004. Accessed April 26, 2009.
-  Accessed June 19, 2008
- Pomerado News. 2007. WSOP: Poway High grad Rast has chance at largest prize ($18.3M) in poker history
- U-T San Diego. MMA: Poway's Jesse Taylor seeks belt
- U-T San Diego. 2005. NFL: Top-play nominees
- Kevin Gemmell. March 26, 2006. Century club Union-Tribune
- Poway High School site
- Poway High ASB Site
- Poway Unified School District site
- Poway High School Library
- School Accountability Report Card Summary (2003-2004) (pdf file)
- Poway High School Iliad (newspaper)