|Studio album by Neil Young|
|Released||September 27, 2005|
|Genre||Country rock, folk rock, Americana|
|Producer||Neil Young, Ben Keith|
|Neil Young chronology|
Prairie Wind is the twenty-seventh studio album by Canadian musician Neil Young, released in 2005. After recent dalliances with 60s soul music (Are You Passionate?) and rock opera (Greendale, which spawned a Young-directed film of the same name), Prairie Wind featured an acoustic-based sound reminiscent of his earlier commercially successful albums Harvest and Harvest Moon. The album was in part inspired by the illness and recent death of his father, Canadian sportswriter and novelist Scott Young, and the album is dedicated in part to the elder Young.
Young recorded the album in Nashville before undergoing minimally invasive surgery for an aneurysm in the spring of 2005, and some of the songs on the album appear to be informed by Young confronting his own mortality.
A premiere live performance of Prairie Wind was held in 18–19 August 2005 at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. Here, Young held a two-night concert where songs from the album were performed. These concerts became the subject of a film directed by Jonathan Demme entitled Heart of Gold.
Charts and awards
The album debuted on the Billboard 200 album chart at number 11, on October 15, 2005, with sales of approximately 72,000 copies. It remained on the chart for 26 weeks. It was awarded a certified gold record by the RIAA on January 23, 2006.
Prairie Wind received two Grammy Award nominations at the 2006 Grammy Awards - Best Rock Album of the Year and Best Rock Solo Performance for The Painter. Prairie Wind was also chosen as one of Amazon.com's Top 100 Editor's Picks of 2005.
All songs written by Neil Young, and ©2005 Silver Fiddle Music (ASCAP)
- "The Painter" – 4:36
- "No Wonder" – 5:45
- "Falling Off the Face of the Earth" – 3:35
- "Far From Home" – 3:47
- "It's a Dream" – 6:31
- "Prairie Wind" – 7:34
- "Here for You" – 4:32
- "This Old Guitar" – 5:32
- "He Was the King" – 6:08
- "When God Made Me" – 4:05
- "An Interview with Neil Young" - 19:06 (LP only)
- Neil Young - acoustic guitar, electric guitar, harmonica, piano, vocals
- Ben Keith - Dobro, pedal steel, slide guitar
- Spooner Oldham - piano, Hammond B3 organ, Wurlitzer electric piano
- Rick Rosas - bass
- Karl Himmel - drums, percussion
- Chad Cromwell - drums, percussion
- Grant Boatwright - acoustic guitar, backing vocals
- Clinton Gregory - fiddle on "No Wonder"
- Wayne Jackson - horns
- Thomas McGinley - horns
- Emmylou Harris - special guest vocalist
- Pegi Young (wife of Neil Young) - backing vocals
- Diana Dewitt - backing vocals
- Anthony Crawford - backing vocals
- Gary Pigg - backing vocals
- Curtis Wright - backing vocals
- Chuck Cochran - string arranger
- Fisk University Jubilee Choir, directed by Paul Kwami