Princess Elisabeth of Savoy
|Archduchess Rainer of Austria|
|Spouse||Archduke Rainer of Austria|
|Issue||Adelaide, Queen of Sardinia
|Maria Francesca Elisabetta Carlotta Giuseppina di Savoia|
|House||House of Savoy-Carignano (by birth)
House of Habsburg-Lorraine (by marriage)
|Father||Charles Emmanuel, Prince of Carignano|
|Mother||Maria Christina of Saxony|
13 April 1800|
|Died||25 December 1856
Bolzano, Austrian Empire
Elisabeth of Savoy (Maria Francesca Elisabetta Carlotta Giuseppina; 13 April 1800 – 25 December 1856) was a Princess of Savoy and the aunt and mother-in-law of Vittorio Emanuele II, the first king of a united Italy.
Maria Francesca Elisabetta Carlotta Giuseppina was born in Paris to Charles Emmanuel, Prince of Carignano (1770–1800), and Maria Cristina of Saxony (1770–1851), herself granddaughter of Augustus III of Poland. She had an elder brother, Charles Albert, future King of Sardinia.
Marriage and children
With Rainer she had eight children:
- Maria Carolina (1821–1844)
- Adelaide (3 June 1822 – 20 January 1855), who became the wife of Vittorio Emanuele II, King of Sardinia from 1849 to 1861 and subsequently King of Italy.
- Leopoldo Luigi (6 June 1823 – 24 May 1898)
- Ernesto Carlo (8 August 1824 – 4 April 1899)
- Sigismondo Lepoldo (7 January 1826 – 15 December 1891),
- Ranieri Ferdinando (11 January 1827 – 27 January 1913)
- Enrico Antonio (9 May 1828 – 30 November 1891)
- Massimiliano Carlo (16 January 1830 – 16 March 1839)
Elisabeth died in Bolzano on Christmas Day, 1856.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 13 April 1800 – 28 May 1820 Her Highness Princess Elisabeth of Savoy
- 28 May 1820 – 25 December 1856 Her Imperial & Royal Highness Archduchess Elisabeth of Austria
- The original version of this article was based principally on its equivalent in the Italian Wikipedia, in the version retrieved on 2007-03-12.