RC Willey Home Furnishings
|This article's listed sources may not meet Wikipedia's guidelines for reliable sources. (April 2012)|
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (August 2010)|
|Founded||Syracuse, Utah, U.S. (1932)|
|Founder(s)||Rufus Call Willey|
|Headquarters||Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.|
|Area served||Western United States|
|Key people||William H. Child
(Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Board)
Scott Hymas (CEO)
Jeff Child (President)
Curtis Child (CFO)
RC Willey Home Furnishings (often called just RC Willey) is a home furnishings company with stores in Utah, Idaho, Nevada and California. It was founded by Rufus Call Willey in 1932 when he started selling Hotpoint Brand appliances door-to-door in Syracuse, Utah. RC Willey is a retail store that sells merchandise in the following categories: furniture, electronics, home appliances, mattresses, flooring, and seasonal merchandise. It is currently owned by Berkshire Hathaway.
Rufus Call (RC) Willey started selling Hotpoint Brand appliances door-to-door in 1932. Employed by the local electric company, he conducted his small appliance business from the back of his red pick-up truck on the side. To guarantee customer satisfaction while electricity was still so new, Willey would lend out appliances for a week so that people could try them out. He also let them finance the purchases in installments over a three-year period, payable at harvest time. His business continued to grow, and in 1950 he built his first store, right next door to his home in Syracuse.
In 1954, Willey left the company due to terminal cancer. William H. Child, who had married Willey's daughter Darlene three years earlier, took over the business. He, along with his brother Sheldon Child, worked over the next 40 years to grow and expand the business. William Child is credited with adding furniture to the company's appliance offerings. Multiple stores were built along the Wasatch Front, and RC Willey became the most well-known Home Furnishings retailer in the state of Utah.
Berkshire Hathaway, Inc., the holding company led by billionaire investor Warren Buffett, acquired RC Willey on May 24, 1995.
Chief financial officer Scott L. Hymas, who had been with the company since 1987, succeeded Bill Child as CEO in February 2001. Child remained chairman. At the same time, Bill Child's nephew, Jeffrey S. Child, became the company's president.
Today, RC Willey is still family operated, and has 8 stores located in Utah, 1 store in Idaho, 4 stores in Nevada and 1 store in California. The company continues to be known for its variety of products; furniture, electronics, appliances, mattresses, and flooring. It's also recognized for its customer service, delivery, in-store credit and being closed on Sundays.
- Murray, Utah
- Orem, Utah
- Provo Outlet, Utah
- Riverdale, Utah
- South Salt Lake, Utah
- Syracuse, Utah
- Taylorsville, Utah
- West Jordan Outlet, Utah
- 1932: Rufus Call Willey begins selling appliances door-to-door.
- 1950: RC Willey opens its first store in Syracuse, Utah.
- 1954: William H. Child takes over the business.
- 1969: A second store opens in Murray, Utah.
- 1990: Six stores have sales of $100 million.
- 1995: Berkshire Hathaway, Inc. acquires the company.
- 1999: RC Willey expands outside Utah with Meridian, Idaho, store.
- 2001: RC Willey's first Las Vegas store opens.
- 2005: RC Willey continues expansion in Nevada and into California.
In the Home Electronics department they carry a selection of flat panel televisions, DVD players, home stereos, computers, camcorders, etc. Brands include Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Sharp, LG, Panasonic, and Mitsubishi. Products run from the most-expensive models to budget conscious versions.
RC Willey’s founder, Rufus Call Willey, found his success specializing in home appliances. This tradition continues today. RC Willey’s stores feature a large selection of appliances from General Electric, Whirlpool, LG, Maytag, Electrolux, KitchenAid, Frigidaire, Bosch, Samsung, Fisher & Paykel, Subzero, Wolf, Asko and others.
RC Willey's selection of floor coverings includes carpet, vinyl, wood, and tile. Most brands are represented, and they offer professional installation. Some of the popular brands are Stainmaster Flooring Centers, Flooring by Armstrong, Mannington Flooring, and Shaw Floors, and Mohawk Flooring
During the summer months RC Willey offers patio and outdoor furniture, as well as some outdoor appliances and tools. In the winter they carry snow blowers.
RC Willey has a professionally trained sales force. They undergo training by product specialists so that they can answer customer questions.
RC Willey owns local distribution warehouses. The products they offer are almost always stocked in these warehouses. This allows them to deliver the products quickly using their own delivery trucks.
Distribution Center Locations
RC Willey Financing
RC Willey has its own financial department; approval is usually instant, and you don't have to deal with any middle men in the equation. They offer several financing plans and have their own credit card.
RC Willey Credit Card
An RC Willey credit card offers these features:
- Low monthly payments
- Competitive finance plans
- Online account review and bill payment
- Advance notice of special sales reserved just for cardholders
- Payment protection plan to protect your credit
- Use your card at any RC Willey location and these participating merchants:
- Big O Tires
- Bingham Cyclery
- George's Cycles
- Mr. Mac
- Uinta Golf
- Chris and Dicks Cabinets
- Low Book Sales Auto Service
- Stephen Wade Automotive Group
- Larry H Miller Automotive Group
- Mark Miller Automotive Group
- Murdock Automotive Group
- Brent Brown Automotive Group
- Ed Kenley Ford Automotive Group
There are several financing plans available at RC Willey. Some are available on purchases over a specified amount. The available financing plans include:
- Regular Finance Plan (REG)
- 6 Months, No Interest (6NI) With a minimum sub-total purchase of $299
- 12 Months, No Interest (12NI) With a minimum sub-total purchase of $999
- 18 Months, No Interest (18NI) With a minimum sub-total purchase of $1999
In addition, if the full balance is not paid in full by the due date, the accrued interest will be added to the remaining principal balance and transferred to the customer's Regular Finance Plan (REG). If 2 consecutive payments are missed, accrued interest will be charged from the date of purchase at a rate of 1.75% per month (APR 21%) on the average daily balance, and the entire balance transferred to the REG plan.
- Unlimited delivery for a year with an annual fee
- Minimum order value for delivery is $299.99
- Professionally trained delivery team
- In-home set-up, clean up and haul away
- Delivery notifications if desired via email, web inquiry or telephone
- Post delivery follow-up
RC Willey claims that charitable giving is an important part of their mission "to become the finest home furnishings company in America." With this mission statement in mind, the management and associates of RC Willey are asked to serve in their communities where they work and live. As RC Willey has evolved as a company, they have participated in consistent, quality philanthropic programs.
- Intermountian Distribution Center http://www.rcwilley.com/utah/idc/
- Nevada Distribution Center http://www.rcwilley.com/locations/nevada/Home.jsp
- Rocklin Distribution Center http://www.rcwilley.com/locations/california/Home.jsp
- RC Willey Home Furnishings
- Business Library: R.C. Willey Home Furnishings by Frederick Ingram
- 98-minute audio program on RC Willey story, presented by The Manual of Ideas
- RC Willey resource page, presented by The Manual of Ideas
- Book Review: The R.C. Willey Story by Ravi Nagarajan