April 26, 1926 |
New York City, New York
|Residence||Rye, New York|
|Education||Trinity College, Harvard University|
|Known for||Early investor in Berkshire Hathaway|
|Net worth|| US $ 1.65 billion
|Children||Robert, William, Alice|
He was born to a Jewish family in New York City, the son of Esther Garfunkel and Benjamin Gottesman. He has two siblings, Milton and Alice. He is a nephew of American pulp-paper merchant, financier and philanthropist Samuel Gottesman.
He began a friendship with Warren Buffett in 1962. He was an early investor in Berkshire Hathaway and today owns 19,000 shares, worth $3 billion in 2013. He joined the Berkshire Hathaway board of directors in 2003.
He lives in Rye, New York with his wife, Ruth, to whom he has been married for over sixty years. Ruth has a master's degree in Developmental Education and a PhD in Human Cognition and Learning in the area of Educational Psychology both from Teachers College at Columbia University. Together, they have three children and seven grandchildren. He is an avid swimmer.
- "The World's Billionaires (2010): #655 David Gottesman". Forbes. March 3, 2010. "Net worth: $1.5 billion"
- Forbes: The World's Billionaires - David Gottesman March 2013
- "BRK.A on CNBC". CNBC. October 18, 2013. "Net worth: $3.0 billion"
- David S. Gottesman - nndb
- New York Times: "Paid Notice: Deaths GOTTESMAN, ESTHER" October 05, 1997
- Forbes Israel: Jewish Billionaires - Profile of David Gottesman April 14, 2013 (in Hebrew)
- First Manhattan Co., Business Week
- The Gottesman Libraries: The Library for the Future Published in Inside - Volume IX, No. 2 - September 30, 2003
- My Rye: Rye People: David Gottesman