Ramanathan V. Guha
Guha graduated with Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Master of Science from University of California, Berkeley and Ph.D from Stanford University.
Guha was one of the early co-leaders of the Cyc Project where he worked from 1987 through 1994 at Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation in collaboration with Douglas Lenat. He was responsible for the design and implementation of key parts of the Cyc system, including the CycL knowledge representation language, the upper ontological layers of the Cyc Knowledge Base and some parts of the original Cyc Natural Language understanding system.
Leaving what became Cycorp, Guha founded Q Technology, which created a database schema mapping tool called Babelfish. In 1994, he moved to work at Apple Computer, reporting to Alan Kay, where he developed the Meta Content Framework (MCF) format. In 1997 he joined Netscape Corporation where together with Tim Bray, he created a new version of MCF that used the XML language and which became the main technical precursor to W3C's Resource Description Framework (RDF) standard.
Guha also contributed to the "smart browsing" features of Netscape 4.5 and was instrumental in Netscape's acquisition of NewHoo, which Netscape rebranded the Open Directory Project. In March 1999, he created the first version of RSS as part of Netscape's personalized home page project. In 1999 he left Netscape and in May co-founded Epinions where he worked until 2000. Guha founded Alpiri in late 2000 which created TAP, a semantic web application and knowledge base. In 2002, he became a researcher at IBM Almaden Research Center.
In 2005 Guha joined Google and is currently a Google Fellow. While at Google he has been responsible for Google Custom Search and a number of enhancements to Adwords. He is also one of the founders of Schema.org.
On January 26, 2013, Guha was named as a Distinguished Alumnus of the Indian Institute of Technology Madras.
- Ramanathan V. Guha at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Guha, R. V.; Lenat, Douglas B. (1990). Building large knowledge-based systems: representation and inference in the Cyc project. Reading, Mass: Addison-Wesley Pub. Co. ISBN 0-201-51752-3.
- Guha, R.; McCool, R.; Miller, E. (2003). Semantic search. WWW'03. Proceedings of the twelfth international conference on World Wide Web: 700–709. doi:10.1145/775152.775250. ISBN 1-58113-680-3.
- Ramanathan V. Guha's publications indexed by the DBLP Bibliography Server at the University of Trier
- Ramanathan V. Guha from the ACM Portal
- Ramanathan V. Guha's publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database, a service provided by Elsevier.
- "Ramanathan Guha's Curriculum Vitae".
- Skrenta, Rich. "About Rich Skrenta". Retrieved April 20, 2014.
- Guha, R.; McCool, R. (August 2003). "TAP: A Semantic Web platform". Comput. Netw. 42 (5): 557–577. doi:10.1016/S1389-1286(03)00225-1.
- "IIT-M announces awards for distinguished alumni". The New Indian Express. Jan 28, 2013. Retrieved Feb 4, 2013.