Reunion (The Temptations album)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
|Studio album by The Temptations|
|Released||April 7, 1982|
|Producer||Berry Gordy, Rick James, Smokey Robinson, Barrett Strong, Iris Gordy|
|The Temptations chronology|
Reunion is a 1982 album by The Temptations for Gordy Records. The album was released during the 1982 Temptations Reunion tour, which reunited David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks with the Temptations after a decade-long absence. The album also features then-current Temptations Dennis Edwards, Glenn Leonard, Richard Street, and founding members Otis Williams and Melvin Franklin. Reunion featured the hit single "Standing on the Top", produced by and featuring Motown funk star Rick James, who had previously used the Temptations as the background vocalists for his 1981 hit "Super Freak".
The Reunion tour, which began in April 1982 was only partially successful. Ruffin, a cocaine addict, missed several shows, causing the group to be fined thousands of dollars for each performance he missed, and Eddie Kendricks' falsetto voice had weakened due to constant smoking. Group leader Otis Williams decided that the reunion would not be a permanent thing, and fired Ruffin and Kendricks shortly after Christmas 1982.
|1.||"Standing on the Top"||Rick James||Edwards, Ruffin, Kendricks, Street, Leonard, Franklin, James||9:48|
|2.||"You Better Beware"||Barrett Strong||Ruffin||5:00|
|3.||"Lock It in the Pocket"||Kerry Gordy, Benny Medina||Edwards||4:30|
|4.||"I've Never Been to Me"||Ron Miller, Ken Hirsch||Edwards||5:57|
|6.||"More On the Inside"||Robinson||Edwards||3:49|
|7.||"Money's Hard to Get"||K. Gordy, Medina||Edwards||4:44|
|CD issue bonus tracks|
|8.||"Like a Diamond in the Sky"||Robinson||Edwards||3:06|
|9.||"Don't Hold it In"||Angelo Bond, Berry Gordy, Jr., Melvin Ragin||Ruffin, Edwards||4:12|
- Dennis Edwards: vocals
- Melvin Franklin: vocals
- Eddie Kendricks: vocals
- Glenn Leonard: vocals
- David Ruffin: vocals
- Richard Street: vocals
- Otis Williams: vocals
- Rick James: guest vocals, producer
- Mary Jane Girls: background vocals ("Standing on the Top")
- Oscar Alston: bass guitar
- Paulinho da Costa: percussion
- Bill Elliott: electric piano, synthesizer
- Clarence McDonald: keyboards
- Benjamin Wright: synthesizer, arranger
- Berry Gordy: "Lock It In the Pocket", "Money's Hard to Get", "Don't Hold it In"
- Iris Gordy and Barrett Strong: "You Better Beware"
- Suzee Ikeda and Melvin Ragin: "Don't Hold it In"
- Rick James: "Standing on the Top"
- Ron Miller: "I've Never Been to Me"
- Smokey Robinson: "Backstage", "More on the Inside", "Like a Diamond in the Sky"
|1982||"Standing On the Top - Pt. 1"
(featuring Rick James)
|"More On the Inside"||—||82||—||—|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart|
- Allmusic review
- "The Temptations US albums/singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2012-07-11.