Roland Berger Strategy Consultants
|Headquarters|| Munich, Germany
51 offices in 36 countries
|Key people||Prof. Roland Berger, Honorary Chairman
Prof. Vincent Mercier, Chairman
Prof. Burkhard Schwenker, CEO
|Products||Management Consulting Services|
|Revenue||US$ 850 million (est. 2009)|
Roland Berger Strategy Consultants is a global strategy consulting firm headquartered in Munich, with 51 offices in 36 countries. Roland Berger Strategy Consultants was founded in 1967 by Roland Berger. According to Vault.com, the firm has established itself among the top three consulting firms in Europe, behind McKinsey & Company and Bain & Company, and among the top four in the global strategy consulting market. In 2009, the company's sales were c. USD 850 m with around 2,700 employees worldwide. The company is an independent partnership wholly owned by its approx. 250 partners. In July 2011 18 new partners and in November 2012 another 17 new partners were appointed.
Roland Berger operates as a generalist strategy consultancy and advises the world's leading corporations, non-profit organizations and public institutions on management issues ranging from strategy development to performance improvement. Roland Berger's business is organized into global functional and industry competence centers. Its practice areas include corporate development, marketing and sales, operations strategy, restructuring and corporate finance, and information management. Industry specialties include automotive, consumer goods and retail, energy and chemicals, engineered products and high-tech, financial services, information communications, pharmaceuticals and health care, public services and transportation.
Roland Berger established the firm in 1967, after four years of working for Gennaro Boston Associati in Boston and Milano, Italy. At that time management consulting was a new profession in Germany, and generally centred on cost-cutting; Berger instead focussed on marketing and strategy. Revenues doubled annually for the first three years, reaching DM 5.6 million in 1970. By 1987 the firm became the largest consultancy in Germany, with sales over DM 100 million.
To finance overseas expansion, Berger then allowed Deutsche Bank to take a minority stake, rising to 75.1% in 1988. This proved a problem in the US, where the Federal Reserve Bank did not allow subsidiaries of commercial banks to practise consulting, so the managers bought back Deutsche Bank's shares in 1998 and 2000.
The organization is based on global Competence Centers along functional and industry lines. Roland Berger Strategy Consultants is known for its expertise in the fields of restructuring and marketing. Furthermore, the consultancy has a focus on the automobile industry and the capital goods sector.
Roland Berger Strategy Consultants' major competitors include McKinsey & Company, The Boston Consulting Group, Bain & Company, Booz & Company and A.T. Kearney. The firm also competes with specialist boutiques such as Monitor Group, L.E.K. Consulting, Oliver Wyman, OC&C Strategy Consultants and Simon-Kucher & Partners.
Roland Berger Strategy Consultants has 51 offices in 36 countries.
Europe and Africa
Projects and initiatives
Since 2013 Roland Berger Strategy Consultants Consultants' pro bono engagement focuses on promoting education via the Roland Berger Foundation which was established in 2008 by the firm's Honorary Chairman Roland Berger and endowed with EUR 50 million: With its German scholarship program, the Foundation supports gifted children and young people from socially disadvantaged families. The program currently supports 500 individual pupils from 6 to 18 years across Germany.
In 2006 the company founded Best of European Business Awards. It sponsors the Counterparts initiative to support culture and education in Central and Eastern Europe. and also supports the Young Global Leaders at the World Economic Forum.
On 30 January 2012, the company said it was in the process of collecting €300 million from financial institutions and business intelligence agencies to set up an independent non-profit credit ratings agency, which could provide its first country ratings by the end of the year. On 19 April 2013 the effort was foundered after negotiations with a private European group of investors ended without agreement
Members of the Executive Committee
- Burkhard Schwenker - Chief Executive Officer, former CFO
- Charles-Edouard Bouée - Member of the Executive Committee
- Bernd Brunke - Member of the Executive Committee
- Tijo J.G. Collot d'Escury - Member of the Executive Committee
- Ralf Kalmbach - Member of the Executive Committee
Members of the Supervisory Board
Company Founder and Honorary Chairman
- Roland Berger - Entrepreneur, philanthropist and founder of the firm, now Honorary Chairman
- think:act, the brand aggregating the corporate publishing formats of Roland Berger (books, customer magazines, surveys and information brochures)
- Europe: Consulting Firms Rankings 2011,Vault Consulting 25 Europe
- ,Firm Consulting 2011
- Vault's company profile,Vault
- Asia: Consulting Firms Rankings 2011,Vault Consulting 25 Asia Pacific
- ,Roland Berger Strategy Consultants website
- , handelsblatt.com Roland Berger appoints 18 new partners, 11 July 2011
- , Roland Berger appoints 17 new partners, 30 November 2012
- More bang for your buck, Financial Times, 19 November 2007
- Richter, Konstantin (17 August 1999). "German Consulting Guru Is Seeking a U.S. Audience". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2010-11-22.
- Company profile,Vault Asia
- Roland Berger & Partner GmbH - Company Profile at referenceforbusiness.com
- Adam Jones (2010-11-21). "Berger drops Deloitte merger plans". Financial Times. Retrieved 2010-11-22.
- Roland Berger Strategy Consultants website
- Best of European Business Awards Roland Berger Strategy Consultants website
- Counterparts - Culture and education in Central and Eastern Europe Roland Berger Strategy Consultants website
- Roland Berger supports the Young Global Leaders - socio-political engagement as a connecting element of managers worldwide trading-house.net, 31. March 2011
- Eder, Florian (2012-01-20). "Bonitätswächter wehren sich gegen Staatseinmischung". Die Welt. Retrieved 2012-01-20.
- rolandberger.com, official website
- Roland Berger & Partner GmbH, company profile at ReferenceForBusiness.com
- website containing information of all publications of Roland Berger, Think: act
- Collection of studies and surveys from Roland Berger Strategy Consulting