Ronald S. Dancer
|Ronald Stanley Dancer|
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly
from the 12th Legislative District
January 10, 2012
Serving with Robert D. Clifton
|Born||May 31, 1949|
|Residence||Plumsted Township, New Jersey|
|Alma mater||Wesley College (Business Administration)
|Website||Legislative web page|
Ronald Stanley Dancer (born May 31, 1949) is an American Republican Party politician who serves in the New Jersey General Assembly representing the 12th Legislative District. Prior to redistricting, he represented the 30th Legislative District from 2002 until 2012.
Dancer serves in the Assembly on the Labor Committee and the Tourism and Gaming Committee. In November 2002, Republican County Committee representatives from the 30th District chose Dancer to fill the vacancy created by Melvin Cottrell's death; Dancer defeated Howell Township Councilmember Joseph DiBella by a 106–72 margin.
Dancer has served as Mayor of Plumsted Township since 1990. He has served on the Ocean County Board of Social Services since 1997 (as Chair), the Ocean County Natural Lands and Farmland Preservation Advisory Committee since 1998 and the Ocean County Senior Services Advisory Council since 2002. He was on the New Jersey Horse Racing Commission from 1999-2002. Dancer served in the United States Army from 1969-1971.
He simultaneously holds a seat in the New Jersey General Assembly and as Mayor. This dual position, often called double dipping, is allowed under a grandfather clause in the state law enacted by the New Jersey Legislature and signed into law by Governor of New Jersey Jon Corzine in September 2007 that prevents dual-office-holding but allows those who had held both positions as of February 1, 2008, to retain both posts.
Dancer attended the Peddie School, Wesley College (majoring in Business Administration) and the Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy at Rutgers University.
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 12th District for the 2014-2015 Legislative Session are:
- Assemblyman Dancer's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 23, 2012.
- Baratta, Kathy. "Dancer tapped to replace Cottrell in N.J. Assembly", Tri-Town News, November 21, 2002. Accessed May 31, 2010.
- via Associated Press. "N.J. Lawmakers keep double dipping", WPVI-TV, March 4, 2008. Accessed June 4, 2009.
- Legislative Roster 2014-2015 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 27, 2014.
- Assemblyman Dancer's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms
- Assembly Member Ronald S. Dancer, Project Vote Smart
- USTrotting.com article on Assemblyman Dancer