Round & Round (Selena Gomez & the Scene song)
|"Round & Round"|
|Single by Selena Gomez & the Scene|
|from the album A Year Without Rain|
|Released||June 22, 2010
(see radio and release history)
|Format||Digital download, CD single|
|Writer(s)||Kevin Rudolf, Andrew Bolooki, Fefe Dobson, Jeff Halavacs, Jacob Kasher|
|Selena Gomez & the Scene singles chronology|
"Round & Round" is a song by American band Selena Gomez & the Scene. The song was written and produced by Kevin Rudolf, Andrew Bolooki, and Jeff Halavacs, and co-written by Jacob Kasher and Fefe Dobson. It was released on June 22, 2010 as the lead single from the band's second album, A Year Without Rain (2010). "Round & Round" is an electronica-based dance-pop song with rock and disco beats. The song received positive reviews, with critics taking note of the song's instant attraction beyond the expected demographic. It peaked at number twenty-four on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the band's highest charting single in the United States at the time. It charted moderately in several international markets, including Canada, Germany, and the United Kingdom. Gomez & the Scene performed the song multiple times.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"Round & Round" is a dance-pop song with a length of three minutes and five seconds, composed by Kevin Rudolf, Andrew Bolooki, and Jeff Halavacs, Jacob Kasher and Fefe Dobson. The song is also disco-influenced electropop, with an uptempo dance vibe, featuring a light rock edge during the verses. Mikael Wood of Billboard said the song "rides a fist-pumping electro groove". According to Amar Toor of AOL Radio Blog, the song pulls influence from Kylie Minogue circa 2001. The song's lyrics speak of a relationship going around in circles. The song's middle eight is a sing-speak breakdown, in which Gomez raps her lyrics in a Kesha-esque fashion.
Bill Lamb of About.com praised Gomez's vocal maturity and rock edge likely thanks to producer Kevin Rudolf, calling the song "effortless" and would "sound good after months of airplay". Lamb commented the song was "catchy" and "will catch adult listeners right away", even though it was not deep and "pure fluff". Lamb also predicted with Miley Cyrus, "exploring adulthood around the corner, and threatening to leave pop music entirely, Selena Gomez is set to take the female teen pop crown in crowd pleasing fashion." Tim Sendra of Allmusic said that the song was "well sung" and noted it as one of the top tracks on the album. Becky Bain of Idolator said the song had an "infectious tune", and said "might actually be the song to get the non-Disney-centric demographic interested in Selena's tunes." Although commenting that the "glossy electro-pop rock" of the song showed a sophisticated side of Gomez, and the lyrics showed emotional growth, Robert Cospey of Digital Spy said the good work was squandered by the "rusty" chorus. Overall, Copsey complimented Gomez for "avoiding the predictable Hilary/Miley teen-rawk route" and recommended she stay under the Disney umbrella to "perfect her craft further".
Propelled by a debut at number fifteen on the US Hot Digital Songs chart, "Round & Round" debuted at number twenty-four on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming the band's second consecutive top thirty single in the United States. It also appeared on the Billboard charts the Hot Dance Club Play and Pop Songs charts at two and thirty-four. However, it did not match the peaks of its predecessor "Naturally" on those charts, where the latter peaked at one and twelve. The song performed moderately in international markets. It reached fifty-one on the Canadian Hot 100. In the United Kingdom, it reached forty-seven, and was on the chart for three consecutive weeks. "Round & Round" charted in the top sixty in Austria, and Germany, and appeared on the Belgian Flanders tip chart, as well as charting in Slovakia. It has sold 917,000 copies. 
The filming of the video was made by Phillip Andelman, and took place in late May 2010 in Budapest, Hungary during the filming of her film, Monte Carlo. Gomez posted two previews of the song on her Twitter on June 17, 2010 to precede the video's premiere on June 20, 2010 on Disney Channel and subsequently VEVO. Along with singing on a stage with the Scene, the video features Gomez acting as a secret agent and donning spy apparel, as she plants bugs, takes photos, passes off packages, and other duties. She is then caught by other spys and is chased throughout the city, with another secret agent she works with covers her back as she runs away. It ends with Gomez blowing out the match she previously struck. Nadine Cheung of AOL JSYK said, "We love the storyline for the video and how it's mixed in with performance shots of Selena and her band the Scene. Of course, the 17-year-old star is decked out in amazing outfits, no matter if she's rocking out on stage or being followed by cloaked agents."
Live performances and promotion
The song was performed by the band on America's Got Talent on July 14, 2010. It was also performed on Good Morning America on September 23, 2010 along with "A Year Without Rain". While promoting in the United Kingdom, Gomez appeared on Daybreak on September 27, 2010, and on Blue Peter on the following day, September 28, 2010. Gomez performed the song on MTV's The Seven on October 1, 2010.
US digital download
Australian digital single
UK promo CD single
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||62|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||19|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||51|
|Germany (Media Control AG)||52|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||47|
|US Billboard Hot 100||24|
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||2|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||34|
http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumdata.php?artist=%22Round+%26+Round%22(search Round and Roundnot Round & Round)
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
Radio and release history
|United States||June 22, 2010||Digital download|
|June 29, 2010||Mainstream/Top 40 radio|
|Australia||September 3, 2010||Digital download, remixes|
|United States||September 14, 2010||Dave Audé Remix Radio Edit|
|United Kingdom||September 23, 2010||Remixes|
|Germany||September 24, 2010||CD single|
|United Kingdom||September 27, 2010||CD single, digital download|
- Lamb, Bill. "Selena Gomez Releases "Round and Round" To Preview Upcoming Second Album". About.com. Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- Toor, Amar. "Selena Gomez, 'Round and Round' -- New Song". AOL Radio Blog. Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- Lamb, Bill. "Selena Gomez and the Scene - "Round & Round"". About.com. Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- Wood, Mikael (2010-09-10). "Selena Gomez and the Scene, "A Year Without Rain"". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2010-12-25.
- "A Year Without Rain - Selena Gomez & the Scene". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 2010-12-25.
- Bain, Becky. "Selena Gomez Goes "Round And Round" On New Single". Idolator. Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- Copsey, Robert. "Selena Gomez & The Scene: 'Round & Round'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2010-11-07.
- "Selena Gomez Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Selena Gomez. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- "Selena Gomez Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Selena Gomez. Retrieved 2010-07-09.
- "Selena Gomez & The Scene Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Selena Gomez & The Scene.
- "Selena Gomez & The Scene" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- "Ultratop.be – Selena Gomez & The Scene – Round & Round" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- Cheung, Nadine. "Selena Gomez Becomes a Spy in Her New Video 'Round and Round'". AOL JSYK. Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- "Sneak Peeks at Selena Gomez’s "ROUND AND ROUND"". Tiger Beat/BOP. Laufer Media, Inc. 2010-06-17. Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- "'America's Got Talent' welcomes Selena Gomez, 'Rock of Ages,' special guest - From Inside the Box - Zap2it". Blog.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- Daw, Robbie (2010-09-23). "Selena Gomez Goes Round And Round on Good Morning America". Idolator. Buzzmedia Publishers. Retrieved 2011-03-13.
- "Selena Gomez sings 'Round and Round' live in the studio". ITV. Retrieved 2010-12-27.
- Daw, Robbie. "Selena Gomez Answers Some Kiddie Questions On ‘Blue Peter’". Idolator. Buzzmedia Publishers. Retrieved 2010-12-27.
- Ryan, Chris (2010-10-01). "VIDEO: Selena Gomez Performs 'Round & Round' On MTV's 'The Seven'". MTV Buzzworthy. MTV Networks (Viacom). Retrieved 2010-12-25.
- "Round & Round - Single by Selena Gomez & the Scene". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved 2010-06-30.
- "Round & Round (Dave Audé Radio Remix) - Single by Selena Gomez & The Scene - Download Round & Round (Dave Audé Radio Remix) - Single on iTunes". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- "Round & Round (Remixes) - EP by Selena Gomez & The Scene - Download Round & Round (Remixes) - EP on iTunes". iTunes Store Australia. Apple Inc. 2010-09-03. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- "Round & Round: Selena Gomez and The Scene: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- "Round & Round - Single by Selena Gomez & The Scene - Download Round & Round - Single on iTunes". iTunes Store Australia. Apple Inc. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- "Round & Round: Selena Gomez & The Scene: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- "Round & Round: Selena Gomez and The Scene: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.co.uk. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- "Selena Gomez & The Scene – Round & Round – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- "Selena Gomez Album & Song Chart History" Canadian Hot 100 for Selena Gomez. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201034 into search.
- "American single certifications – Selena Gomez & The Scene – Round & Round". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- Grein, Paul (July 31, 2013). "Chart Watch Extra: Selena’s Birthday Present". Chart Watch. Yahoo.
- "Round & Round (2-Track): Selena & the Scene Gomez: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. Retrieved 2010-09-21.
- "Selena Gomez & the Scene "Round & Round" - Single by". HMV. Retrieved 2010-09-11.