|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)|
SCORE International (Southern California Off Road Experience) is a off-road racing sanctioning body in the sport of desert racing and is famous for its flagship event, the Baja 1000 as well as the Baja 500 and San Felipe 250. Three SCORE races per year are held in Mexico. Founded by Mickey Thompson in 1973, SCORE continues today under the direction of Roger Norman, who purchased SCORE from Sal Fish in late 2012.
Vehicles are released from the start line individually, 60 seconds between vehicles and 2:30 minutes between vehicle classes. Baja races include motorcycles and quads which start releasing when light is available around 6 AM. Four wheel vehicles start releasing approx 4 hours later around 10 AM. Race results are determined by calculating a finish time for each vehicle. The finish time for a vehicle can include time for penalties such as speeding on the highway or other regulated area. GPS tracking devices are used to enforce speed regulations and penalties.
Awards are given for the winner of each class (if a vehicle in the class finishes) as well as overall winner across classes. Overall 4 Wheel and overall Motorcycle/ATV.
Points are awarded based on finishing position in class. The racer with the most points at the end of the season is the overall winner for the class. In the following race season, the vehicle number will end in two zeros "00" to indicate that vehicle as the class champion. As an example the vehicle number of the Class 1 champion will be 100. Trophy Truck champion can run the #1. Starting with Roger Norman's purchase of SCORE in 2012, SCORE no longer issues new vehicle numbers for each race based on starting position, numbers are now semi-permanent. Starting order is generally determined by a random draw, excepting when preferential starts are given to those who finished in top positions at the last race/last season, or when qualifying is held. Qualifying is now held at SEMA before the Baja 1000 for Trophy Trucks and Class 1 vehicles.
Course terrain is primarily off-road in remote areas but it includes highway segments when an alternate off-road path is not available.
Dakar Challenge 2013 includes Tecate SCORE Baja 500 and Eldorado HDRA Reno 500
PRO LEVEL 1
Trophy Truck – Veh #1-99 (Trophy Truck Unlimited)
Class 1 – Veh #100-199 (Unlimited single or two-seaters)
PRO LEVEL 2
TT Spec – Veh #840-848 (Super 8-unlimited trucks/sport utility vehicles, stock, sealed V-8s)
8 – Veh #885-899 (Full-sized two-wheel drive trucks)
4000 – Veh# 4000-4099 (Class 4limited open-wheel car, 2.2/2.4-Liter Ecotec engine)
4400 – Veh# 4400-4099 (Rock Crawler)
5 Unlimited – Veh #500-599 (Unlimited Baja Bugs)
12 SCORE Lites – Veh #1200-1299 (HDRA Lites-Limited single-1776cc-or two-seaters-1835cc)
Heavy Metal – Veh #8000-8099 (Open Production Trucks, V8 engines)
10 – Veh #1000-1099 (Single or two-seaters limited engine)
3 – Veh #300-399 (Short wheelbase 4X4)
3000 – Veh #3000-3099 (Class 78-2,unlimited mini-truck, 2.2/2.4-Liter Ecotec engine)
2 – Veh #200-249 (Unlimited open-wheel, car/truck, 3.6-Liter Turbo or supercharged)
2.D – Veh #250-299 (Unlimited open-wheel, car/truck, 3.6-Liter Diesel Turbo or supercharged)
1/2-1600 – Veh #1600-1699 (single or two-seaters to 1600cc)
Trophy Lite – Veh #6000-6099 (Unlimited Mini-Truck, 2.2/2.4-Liter Ecotec engine)
6100 – Veh #6100-6199 (Unlimited, Sealed V6)
7200 – Veh #7200-7299 (SCORE Class 6 Open Production – Unlimited)
7 – Veh #700-739 (Open Production – Mini Pick-Ups)
Pro Truck – Veh #1350-1399 (Limited Production Trucks)
Stock Mini – Veh #760-799 (Stock mini trucks)
PRO LEVEL 3
11 – Veh #1100-1199 (Stock VW Sedans)
1700 JeepSpeed – Veh #1700-1799 (Jeep Speed Challenge)
3700 JeepSpeed – Veh #3700-3799 (Jeep Speed Cup)
5-1600 Ltd – Veh #500-549 (1600cc Baja Bugs)
7sx – Veh #740-759 (Modified, stock mini-trucks)
9 – Veh #900-999 (Short wheelbase, single or two-seaters)
Stock Full – Veh #885-899 (Stock full-sized trucks)
19 – Stock UTV – Veh #1900-1949
SPORTSMAN LEVEL 4
Baja Challenge – Veh #BC1-BC99 (Spec open wheel cars)
2000 Ltd Truck – Veh #2000-2099
1400 Unlimited Open Truck – Veh #1400-1499
1500 Unlimited Buggy – Veh #1500-1599
19 – Unlimited UTV – Veh #1950-1999
PRO MOTO & ATV –
20 (400cc or less)
21 (450cc or less)
22 (450cc or more)
30 (Riders over 30 years old)
40 (Riders over 40 years old)
50 (Riders over 50 years old)
60 (Riders over 60 years old)
ATV – 24 (450cc or less)
ATV – 25 (450cc or more)
ATV – 26 (Limited Utility)
SPORTSMAN MOTO & ATV
M/C< (450cc or less)
M/C> (450cc or more)
|Tecate SCORE San Felipe 250||Starts and finishes in San Felipe, Baja California.||January|
|Tecate SCORE Baja Sur 500||Starts in Cabo San Lucas. Finishes in Loreto.||April|
|Tecate SCORE Baja 500||Starts and finishes in Ensenada, Baja California.||June|
|IV 250||Starts and finishes in Imperial Valley, CA||September|
|Tecate SCORE Baja 1000||Starts in Ensenada. Finish includes Ensenada, La Paz or Cabo San Lucas.||November|
Cars and Trucks
- SCORE Trophy Truck: Open Production Unlimited Trucks.
- SCORE Class 1: Unlimited open-wheel single- or two-seaters.
- SCORE Class 1/2-1600: Limited suspension. open-wheel single- or two-seaters. (1600 cc)
- SCORE Class 2: Limited 2.2 liter buggy.
- SCORE Class 3: Production short wheelbase 4X4 Jeeps.
- SCORE Class 4: Unlimited 2.2 liter open wheel.
- SCORE Class 5: Unlimited Baja Bugs.
- SCORE Class 5-1600: Baja Bugs. (1600cc)
- SCORE Class 6: V6 powered tube chassis trucks
- SCORE Class 7: Open mini trucks.
- SCORE Class 7S: Stock mini trucks. (3000cc)
- SCORE Class 7SX: Modified mini trucks. (4000cc)
- SCORE Class 8: Full-sized two-wheel drive trucks.
- SCORE Class 9: Short wheelbase, open-wheel. single- or two-seaters. (1600cc)
- SCORE Class 10: Open-wheel single or two-seaters. (2000cc)
- SCORE Class 11: Stock VW Sedans. (1600cc)
- SCORE Lites Class 12: VW limited open-wheel. single seat(1776cc) or two-seaters(1835cc).
- SCORE Class 17: Production short wheelbase 4X4 Modified Jeeps.
- SCORE Stock Full: Stock full-sized trucks.
- SCORE Stock Mini: Stock mini trucks. (4300cc)
- SCORE Class M-Truck: 2 or 4-wheel drive medium utility vehicle with a minimum weight 12,000 pounds.
- SCORE Baja Challenge: Limited, identical open-wheel Baja touring cars.
- SCORE Sportsman Buggy:
- SCORE Sportsman Truck:
- SCORE Sportsman UTV: 660cc, 4-wheel utility vehicle.
- ProTruck: Limited Production Trucks governed by the Baja ProTruck Off-Road Race Series
- SCORE Class 20: 125 cc or smaller two-stroke and 250 cc or smaller four-stroke motorcycles.
- SCORE Class 21: 126 cc to 250 cc.
- SCORE Class 22: 250 cc or more.
- SCORE Class 30: Riders over 30 years old.
- SCORE Class 40: Riders over 40 years old.
- SCORE Class 50: Riders over 50 years old.
- SCORE Class 60: Riders over 60 years old.
- Walker Evans
- Rod Hall
- Rod Millen
- Jimmie Johnson
- Robby Gordon
- Parnelli Jones
- Rob MacCachren
- Don McBride
- Corky McMillin
- Steve McQueen
- Gunnar Nilsson
- Larry Ragland
- Larry Roeseler
- Ivan Stewart
- Mickey Thompson
- Frank "Scoop" Vessels
- BJ Baldwin
- Dust to Glory, the documentary about the 2003 Baja 1000 race
- San Felipe 250 (San Felipe, Baja California loop in February or March)
- Baja 500 (Ensenada loop in June)
- Baja 1000 (from Ensenada, in November),
- SCORE International (May 1, 2009). "Sal Fish Throws First Pitch at Dodgers Game". motorcycleusa.com. Retrieved 2011-01-19.
SCORE International CEO/President Sal Fish
- SCORE International (2006). "2006-2010 Off-Road Racing Rules and Regulations".
- SCORE International. "2009 New Classes & Existing Class Rule Amendments"