11 May 1960 |
Personal life 
Sergio P. Ermotti was born on May 11, 1960. He left school at age 15, deciding to follow in the footsteps of his father, he began his career as a young apprentice at the Corner Bank in Lugano.
After his apprenticeship as a stockbroker at the Corner Bank, Ermotti was later promoted to trading. Ermotti earned a diploma as a Swiss Federal Banking Certified Expert and a degree in the Advanced Management Program at Oxford University.
In 1985, Ermotti moved to Citibank where he traded equity-linked products and later served as its Resident Vice President. He later went on to Merrill Lynch in 1987, holding various positions in equity derivatives and capital markets. Between 2001 and 2003, he served as co-Head of Global Equity Markets and as a member of the Executive Management Committee for Global Markets & Investment Banking at Merrill Lynch.
He joined UniCredit in December 2005 as Head of Markets & Investment Banking. From 2007 to 2010, he was UniCredit’s Deputy Chief Executive Officer with responsibility for the strategic business area, Corporate and Investment Banking and Private Banking.
Sergio P. Ermotti was appointed Chairman and CEO of UBS's Europe, Middle East, and Africa group and became a member of the Group Executive Board in April 2011. He was appointed interim Group CEO of UBS beginning in September 24, 2011 before being given this post permanently on November 15, 2011. Ermotti also serves as a non-executive Director of the London Stock Exchange Group plc.
He owns a stake in the leisure industry group Tessal which owns four luxury hotels in Lugano that it is renovating. Ermotti presided over the regional carrier Darwin that flies between Zurich and Lugano on behalf of Swiss International Air Lines between 2007 and 2012.
- "UBS appoints Sergio Ermotti as chief executive". Telegraph. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "Meet the man to replace Grübel". Financial News. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "UniCredit's investment bank chief Sergio Ermotti". Reuters. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- "Director of the London Stock Exchange Group". London Stock Exchange Group. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- Gerhard Lob (26 September 2011). "Analytical and charming: the new UBS chief". swissinfo.ch.
- Boni, Massimo. "CHANGE AT THE TOP OF DARWIN AIRLINE: EMILIO MARTINENGHI NEW PRESIDENT". Darwin Airline. Retrieved 25 January 2013.