|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2010)|
Dark Horse Comics
|Publication date||December 2004 – Present|
|Number of issues||Burlyman:
|Volume 1||ISBN 2-8094-0277-9|
Shaolin Cowboy is an American comic book series created, written (with the exception of the opening dialog in the issues of the original 2004–2007 run being written by the Wachowskis) and drawn by artist Geof Darrow. The book was published irregularly by Burlyman Entertainment.
The last issue Shaolin Cowboy #7 hit the stands in May 2007, a year after #6 went on sale.
At the 2011 Toronto, San Diego and New York Comic Cons, Dark Horse Comics announced that they would be publishing three new Shaolin Cowboy comics, starting with a new Number One. The first issue of the new Dark Horse series has been solicited for release on October 9, 2013 as an ongoing series.
The book is about an unnamed former Shaolin monk who wanders the land with a talking mule named Lord Evelyn Dunkirk Winniferd Esq. the Third. Having been "asked" to leave the Shaolin temple, he has since had a bounty placed on his head, which many are eager to collect. Given the Shaolin Cowboy's prowess in martial arts, however, this will be very difficult.
Taking place in an unspecified time setting (as the first issue notes, "the day after yesterday and a week before tomorrow"), the book features extremely detailed artwork and equally violent and absurd action scenes; in one, the main character battles a giant shark with a human head in its mouth using two chainsaws tied on the ends of a long stick -- which all takes place in the canalization in the stomach of a lizard, on whose back a city is located.
- Volume 1: La vengeance du roi crabe (60 pages, May 2008, ISBN 2-8094-0277-9)
- Volume 2 (70 pages, November 2008, ISBN 2-8094-0413-5)
- Volume 3 (48 pages, April 2009, ISBN 2-8094-0688-X)
- Brady, Matt (December 15, 2004). "Geof Darrow on Shaolin Cowboy". Newsarama. Archived from the original on December 15, 2004. Retrieved April 7, 2010.
- "Dark Horse OCTOBER 2013 Solicitations". Newsarama. July 11, 2013. Retrieved July 23, 2013.
- 2005 Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards, the Comic Book Awards Almanac
- Shaolin Cowboy at Burlyman Entertainment