She (Green Day song)
|Single by Green Day|
|from the album Dookie|
|Released||May 5, 1995|
|Genre||Pop punk, punk rock|
|Label||Reprise, WEA International|
|Writer(s)||Billie Joe Armstrong / Green Day|
|Producer||Rob Cavallo, Green Day|
|Green Day singles chronology|
"She" is a song by the American punk rock band Green Day. It is the eighth track on their third album, Dookie and was released as the fifth and final single. The song was written by frontman Billie Joe Armstrong about a former girlfriend who showed him a feminist poem with an identical title. In return, Armstrong wrote the lyrics of "She" and showed them to her. She later dumped him and moved to Ecuador, prompting Armstrong to put "She" on the album. The same ex-girlfriend is the topic of the songs "Sassafras Roots", "Chump", and "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)". It is one of the few Green Day singles that did not have a music video.
PopMatters listed "She" as the eighth best Green Day song, citing ""She" is sensitive without being soft; in between Armstrong's empathetic declarations of "Scream at me / Until my ears bleed / I’ll take [sic] heed / Just for you", the band is hammering away at its instruments with amped-up intensity."
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||30|
|US Billboard Hot Airplay||41|
|US Billboard Modern Rock Tracks||5|
|US Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||18|
- Green Day Album & Song Chart History | Billboard.com. Retrieved 2009-12-23.
- by AJ Ramirez. "Nice Guys Finish Last: The Top 15 Green Day Songs". PopMatters. Retrieved 2013-05-25.
- "Green Day - Fantasy Studios". Fantasy Studios. "Issued in February 1994, Dookie would spawn five hit singles — ‘Longview’, ‘Welcome To Paradise’ (a re‐recording of a track on Kerplunk), ‘Basket Case’, ‘When I Come Around’ and ‘She’ — and, with worldwide sales of over 16 million units, would prove to be the group’s most popular work, while establishing them at the forefront of the neo-punk scene."
- "Billie Joe Armstrong Interview on VH1". VH1. Retrieved 2007-07-16.
- "Australian-charts.com – Green Day – Longview". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.