Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2010)|
|"Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)"|
|Single by Green Day|
|from the album Nimrod|
|Released||October 17, 1997|
|Genre||Acoustic rock, soft rock, alternative rock|
|Length||2:34 (album version)
2:28 (music video)
|Writer(s)||Billie Joe Armstrong, Green Day|
|Producer(s)||Rob Cavallo, Green Day|
|Green Day singles chronology|
"Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" is a song by the American punk rock band Green Day. Although written by lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong before the release of the band's third album Dookie (1994), the song was not released until Green Day's fifth album, Nimrod (1997), and was the second single released from that album. An alternative version (in a different key, with a faster tempo and sparer arrangement) did appear as a B-side to the 1995 German import single for "Brain Stew/Jaded".
Although it was not issued as a physical single at the time of its original release in the United States, "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" later went on to sell over 2.6 million copies as a digital download in the country. The song is also certified Gold in the United Kingdom for sales of 400,000.
Writing and composition
Billie Joe Armstrong wrote "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" in 1990 and did not show the song to his bandmates until the Dookie recording sessions in 1993. During the sessions, the song was determined to be too different from the rest of the songs on Dookie, and producer Rob Cavallo was unsure of how to structure the recording. When the time came to record Nimrod, Armstrong decided to use the song, and Cavallo suggested they add strings to the track. He sent the band to play foosball in another room while he recorded the strings, which took "like fifteen, twenty minutes, maybe a half an hour at the most." Cavallo reflected on his decision to add the strings "I knew we had done the right thing. It was a hit the second I heard it."
In comparison to previous Green Day material, "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" features more mellow, contemplative lyrics with acoustic music. Band member Mike Dirnt went on to state that the release of this song was probably the "most punk" thing they could have done. The song is more commonly promoted on the radio as "Time of Your Life", and it became a Billboard Country Rock chart-topper and an international hit, and was the only song from Nimrod that was a crossover success when released in single form.
The music video was directed by Mark Kohr, and features Billie Joe Armstrong singing and playing an acoustic guitar in a bedroom, intercut with "pull-in" shots of various people involved in mundane activities. All of the subjects are shown seemingly staring into space absent-mindedly. Band members Mike Dirnt and Tré Cool make cameo appearances in the video as a person pumping gas (Dirnt), and an injured bike rider being attended by paramedics (Cool). When the video came out, the name of the song was inverted, hence the video's title is "Time of Your Life (Good Riddance)". This title was also used on the single cover.
In 1998 Green Day won their first MTV Video Music Award for Best Alternative Video for "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" and they were also nominated for Viewer's Choice.
The video can be found on their music video compilation DVD, International Supervideos!.
In a Seinfeld clip show that came toward the end of the show's duration, the song was played over a series of clips, outtakes and backstage moments.
In "Gut Reaction," the 18th episode of the fourth season of ER, PA Jeanie Boulet, played by actress Gloria Reuben, sang this song as a farewell to a young boy (Scott Anspaugh, son of Dr. Donald Anspaugh) who had died in her care.
|1.||"Good Riddance" (album version)||2:34|
|2.||"Suffocate" (non-LP track)||2:47|
|3.||"You Lied" (non-LP track)||2:25|
|4.||"Good Riddance" (clean remix)||2:28|
|5.||"Desensitized" (non-LP track)||2:47|
|6.||"Rotting" (non-LP track)||2:50|
|1.||"Time of Your Life (Good Riddance)" (clean album remix)||2:28|
|2.||"Desensitized" (non-LP track)||2:47|
|3.||"Rotting" (non-LP track)||2:50|
|2.||"Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" (album version)||2:34|
|4.||"Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" (video)||2:29|
A 30 second sample of "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)".
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||5|
|Canada Alternative 30 (RPM)||7|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||40|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||11|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100 Airplay||11|
|U.S. Billboard Top 40 Mainstream||13|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Adult Top 40 Tracks||11|
|U.S. Billboard Mainstream Rock Tracks||7|
|U.S. Billboard Modern Rock Tracks||2|
- Track Listing for "Brain Stew" Single
- Appel, Rich (November 13, 2014). "Revisionist History, Part 4: Queen Scores a Hat Trick, 'Good Riddance' to Three Dog Night". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved November 26, 2014.
- Spitz, Marc (2006). Nobody Likes You: Inside the Turbulent Life, Times, and Music of Green Day. Hyperion. p. 131. ISBN 978-1401309121.
- VH1 Top 100 Songs of the '90's: "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)"
- The Charting power of "Time of Your Life"[dead link]
- Rock on the net MTV Video Music Award History
- Schwartz, Terri (May 8, 2013). "The Best Prom Songs of the '80s, '90s and '00s". iVillage. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- CBS Local (April 30, 2012). "Top 10 Prom Songs". CBS. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Lamb, Bill (c. 2006). "Top 10 Prom Songs 2006". Top 40 / Pop. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- Atlantic Coast Entertainment. "Popular Prom Songs". Atlantic Coast Entertainment. Retrieved October 30, 2013.
- "Glen Campbell - Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life)". August 18, 2008. Retrieved August 2, 2014.
- "Dwight Yoakam - If there was a way (Live) HQ". May 26, 2009. Retrieved July 23, 2014.
- "Australian-charts.com – Green Day – Redundant / Time Of Your Life (Good Riddance)". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Top Singles - Volume 66, No. 22, February 23, 1998". RPM. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Rock/Alternative - Volume 66, No. 19, February 02 1998". RPM. Retrieved 2010-10-26.
- "Charts.org.nz – Green Day – Time Of Your Life (Good Riddance)". Top 40 Singles.
- UK Charts Search 'Time of your life'
- Allmusic - Green Day chart success
- "ARIA Charts – End Of Year Charts – Top 100 Singles 1998". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2011-04-04.
- "Best of all time: Australia". Australian-charts.com. ARIA. Retrieved December 18, 2013.
- "ARIA Certifications - 1998".
- "MC Certifications - 1998".
- "BPI Certified Awards". British Phonographic Industry. June 1, 1993. Retrieved October 23, 2009.
- "RIAA Certifications - Green Day".