Sheepshead Bay High School
|3000 Avenue X
Brooklyn, New York, United States
|Principal||John P. O'Mahoney|
Sheepshead Bay High School is a large, multi-cultural high school in Brooklyn, New York. There are currently 2,673 students enrolled, in grades 9 through 12. The largest group is African American (65.2%), followed by Hispanics (15.7%), Asian or of Asian descent (9.9%) and white (8.5%%). 580 students are English language learners, and around 400 are special education students.
In later years, Sheepshead Bay High School was thought of by some as a dumping ground for students with low grades. There was talk for years of closing it after 50 years. SBHS opened in 1959 and the first graduating class was 1961.
March 12, 2013 voted to approve plans to phase out Sheepshead Bay High School and introduce four new schools.
- Randall Amster (class of 1984) - Author, professor
- Elayne Boosler (1969) - Comedian
- Frank Brooks – major league baseball player
- Larry David (1965) – Producer, writer and comedian
- Terry Gross (1968) – Radio talk-show host
- Anthony Melchiorri – Television personality
- Donna Pescow (1972) – Actress
- Rico Petrocelli (1961) – Major League Baseball player
- Kelly Wallace (1983) - News correspondent
- Fred Stoller - Stand-up comedian/actor/writer/voice artist
- Masta Ace - Rapper
- Berke, Ned (March 13, 2013). "voted last night to approve plans to phase out and ultimately shutter Sheepshead Bay High School". Sheepheads Bites. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Sheepshead Bay (Brooklyn,NY) Baseball". The Baseball Cube. Retrieved February 13, 2011.
|This Brooklyn school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|