Silver (TV channel)
|Launched||May 26, 2006|
|Owned by||NonStop Television|
|Slogan||"Where Movies Shine"|
|Broadcast area||Nordic countries, Baltic countries|
|Sweden Boxer||Channel 17|
|Sweden Com Hem|
Silver is a movie television channel broadcasting to the Nordic countries broadcasting quality movies, "World cinema" and independent films. The channel is managed by Scandinavian television broadcaster NonStop Television, part of Turner Broadcasting System, TBS, Inc., which merged with Time Warner in 1996, and now operates as a semi-autonomous unit of Time Warner.
The owners NonStop Television applied for a license to broadcast a channel with the working name "NonStop Filmfestival" in the Swedish digital terrestrial network in the autumn of 2005. The government gave the channel a license in February 2006, at the expense of the owner's other movie channel, Showtime Scandinavia. NonStop Filmfestival had to launch before the end of May and Showtime was allowed to continue broadcasting until the new channel started.
NonStop Filmfestival was named "Silver" in April and could start broadcadting on May 26, 2006 during the Cannes Film Festival. The opening night included Velvet Goldmine, Wild at Heart and Millennium Hambo. Initially, the channel was only available in Sweden on the Boxer terrestrial platform and it wasn't available on from any other distributor until April 2, 2007, when it launched on the Swedish Com Hem cable network.
In February 2007, it was announced that the channel would launch on the 3 mobile phone platform in Sweden. This launch occurred on April 16 and NonStop claimed that Silver was the first movie channel in Europe to be available on a mobile platform. On the same day, it was announced that Silver would launch on satellite from Canal Digital in Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark on May 1 and that a high-definition version called "Silver HD" would launch on September 1, 2007. After the launch on Canal Digital satellite, it has expanded to other cable networks such as LumoTV in Finland and Get in Norway.
- Fredrik Svedjetun (February 23, 2006). "Stora förändringar för Nonstop – Star får dela plats med Viacom". Dagens Media. Retrieved June 15, 2007.
- "Cannes-winners on the new movie channel Silver’s opening weekend" (Press release). NonStop Television. May 10, 2006. Retrieved June 15, 2007.
- "Premiär för filmkanalen Silver hos Com Hem" (Press release). Com Hem. March 27, 2007. Retrieved June 15, 2007.
- "Silver premier as Europe’s first mobile film channel April 16th" (Press release). NonStop Television. April 13, 2007. Retrieved June 15, 2007.
- "Film channel Silver launches in standard- and high definition through Canal Digital" (Press release). NonStop Television. April 16, 2007. Retrieved June 15, 2007.
- Jørgen B. Hoff (June 15, 2007). "Trapper opp digital-tv-krigen". Kampanje. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved June 15, 2007.
- NonStop Television "Silver" channels on October 2011:
It is now being launched on Astra for the South African market. It's being brought by Top TV a division of On Digital Media(ODM).It will be launched in May 2010.