|Also known as||"The Rap Metal Kings of the Philippines"|
|Genres||Heavy metal, metalcore, rap metal, nu metal, alternative metal, industrial rock, hard rock|
|Associated acts||Greyhoundz, Queso, Zoom, Rivermaya, Thaitanium, Pop Shuvit, St Loco, Dandee & Daly|
|Past members||Reynold Munsayac|
Slapshock is a metal band from Manila, Philippines. They were formed in 1996 originally as a rap metal act, significantly being compared with Korn. Their recent material now comes under the metalcore genre.
- 1 Background (1997-2007)
- 2 Project E.A.R. (2008)
- 3 Cariño Brutal and Kinse Kalibre (2009–present)
- 4 Members
- 5 Discography
- 6 Singles/music videos
- 7 References
- 8 External links
The group was formed on February 14, 1997 by several students at UP Diliman, with original vocalist Reynold Munsayac; he was soon replaced with guitarist Jerry Basco's cousin, Jamir Garcia. Heavily influenced by American East Coast rap, they played in clubs in Manila in the 1990s before signing to EMI Philippines (now PolyEast Records) and releasing their debut album, 4th Degree Burn, in 1999. The group has released six albums and been met with sustained commercial success in the Philippines, particularly with their third album, Project 11-41. They were nominated for Band of the Year at the NU107 Rock Awards in 2001 and 2002, and in 2003 were nominated for Best Artist by MTV Asia. Bassist Lee Nadela was also named Bassist of the Year at the 2001 NU107 Rock Awards.
The band was featured in Rivermaya's first live album, Live and Acoustic, filmed and recorded on May 18, 2002 from the "Double Trouble: Akoustik Rampage" concert held at the Music Museum, Greenhills, San Juan.
In 2007, Slapshock released their 2nd compilation album, "Recollection" - a collection of their greatest hits and includes a new track, "Sigaw" (Shout).
Project E.A.R. (2008)
Slapshock together with Pop Shuvit (Malaysia), Ahli Fiqir (Singapore), Saint Loco (Indonesia), Silksounds and Thaitanium (Thailand), formed a supergroup called Project E.A.R., which made their debut in the 2008 MTV Asia Awards in Malaysia.
Cariño Brutal and Kinse Kalibre (2009–present)
Slapshock released their 6th album entitled "Cariño Brutal" on 2009. Their first single is "Can't Stop Us Now", the single is available on their official Myspace page.
They made music videos for "Like Eskimo", the second single, and "Cariño Brutal" from their 2009 album of the same title.
They were the guest VJ artist of MYX for the month of August, 2010.
Kinse Kalibre, their 7th studio album was released on 2011 with Ngayon Na as its lead single which topped the Myx Daily Top 10 for 3 straight days. Their second single for the album was an alternative/rock song called Langit.
- Lee Nadela - bass guitar
- Lean Ansing - lead guitar
- Chi Evora - drums
- Jamir Garcia - lead vocals
- Jerry Basco - rhythm guitar
- Mon Medinaceli - acoustic guitar
- Jam Bumanlag of Even - rhythm guitar
- Reynold Munsayac - vocals (At present, he is now an accomplished and successful lawyer; he is a former Senior Associate at Fortun Narvasa & Salazar Law Offices; he handled cases such as the Maguindanao Massacre, NBN-ZTE and the Batasan Bombing; he also teaches Criminal Law and Election Law in San Sebastian College-Recoletos College of Law, Manila.)
Absence and Return of Jerry Basco
- Rumors has spread that after their Cariño Brutal Tour, he has joined the US navy in late 2010 or early 2011 but no one from the band confirmed this. A video on youtube appeared on March 22, 2012 of him performing an acoustic version of the band's single, Langit, together with their vocalist Jamir Garcia from their latest album, Kinse Kalibre. A photo on their official Facebook page appeared last October 14, 2012 with Garcia and Basco on it. The photo was captioned "Our long lost guitarist \m/" but the band never confirmed if Basco would return to the line-up. Rumors spread that he would participate in the making of a Project E.A.R. album. His return was confirmed during the Red Horse Muziklaban 2012 when Slapshock performed. Jamir Garcia announced this to the audience: "Jerry Basco will be on Slapshock until it ends."
- 4th Degree Burn (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", 1999) Platinum in the Philippines
- Headtrip (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", 2001) Platinum in the Philippines
- Project 11-41 (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", 2002) Platinum in the Philippines
- Novena (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", 2004) Gold in the Philippines
- Silence (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", 2006)
- Cariño Brutal (PolyEast Records, 2009)
- Kinse Kalibre (PolyEast Records, 2011)
- Back to the 2 Inch (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", 2003)
- Recollection (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", Dec. 2007)
- "Agent Orange"
- "Evil Clown"
- "Get Away"
- "Shezzo Wicked"
- "Wake Up"
- "Queen Paranoia"
- "Anino Mo"
- "We Are One"
- "Miles Away"
- "Marabahaya" (Project EAR)
- "Can't Stop Us Now" (Available on their Myspace)
- "Cariño Brutal"
- "Like Eskimo"
- "Ngayon Na"
|NU Rock Awards
Best New Artist