|Also known as||"The Rap Metal Kings of the Philippines"|
|Genres||Metalcore, alternative metal, nu metal (early)|
|Associated acts||Greyhoundz, Queso, Zoom, Rivermaya, Thaitanium, Pop Shuvit, St Loco, Dandee & Daly|
|Past members||Reynold Munsayac|
Slapshock is a metal band from Manila, Philippines. They were formed in 1996 originally as a rap metal act, significantly being compared with Korn. Their recent material now comes under the metalcore genre.
The group was formed on February 14, 1997 by several students at UP Diliman, with original vocalist Reynold Munsayac; he was soon replaced with guitarist Jerry Basco's cousin, Jamir Garcia. Heavily influenced by American East Coast rap, they played in clubs in Manila in the 1990s before signing to EMI Philippines (now PolyEast Records) and releasing their debut album, 4th Degree Burn, in 1999. The group has released six albums and been met with sustained commercial success in the Philippines, particularly with their third album, Project 11-41. They were nominated for Band of the Year at the NU107 Rock Awards in 2001 and 2002, and in 2003 were nominated for Best Artist by MTV Asia. Bassist Lee Nadela was also named Bassist of the Year at the 2001 NU107 Rock Awards.
The band was featured in Rivermaya's first live album, Live and Acoustic, filmed and recorded on May 18, 2002 from the "Double Trouble: Akoustik Rampage" concert held at the Music Museum, Greenhills, San Juan.
In 2007, Slapshock released their 2nd compilation album, "Recollection" - a collection of their greatest hits and includes a new track, "Sigaw" (Shout).
Cariño Brutal and Kinse Kalibre (2009–present)
Slapshock released their 6th album entitled "Cariño Brutal" in 2009
They made music videos for their second single "Like Eskimo" and "Cariño Brutal" from their 2009 album of the same title.
They were the guest VJ artist of MYX for the month of August 2010.
Kinse Kalibre, their 7th studio album was released in 2011 with its lead single Ngayon Na which topped the Myx Daily Top 10 for 3 straight days. Their second single for the album was a hard rock song called Langit.
- Lee Nadela - bass guitar
- Lean Ansing - lead guitar
- Chi Evora - drums
- Jamir Garcia - lead vocals
- Jerry Basco - rhythm guitar
- 4th Degree Burn (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", 1999) Platinum in the Philippines
- Headtrip (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", 2001) Platinum in the Philippines
- Project 11-41 (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", 2002) Platinum in the Philippines
- Novena (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", 2004) Gold in the Philippines
- Silence (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", 2006)
- Cariño Brutal (PolyEast Records, Distribution 2009)
- Kinse Kalibre (PolyEast Records, Distribution 2011)
- Night Owls (BMBX Records, Distribution 2014)
- Back to the 2 Inch (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", 2003)
- Recollection (PolyEast Records "Formerly EMI", Dec. 2007)
- "Agent Orange"
- "Evil Clown"
- "Get Away"
- "Shezzo Wicked"
- "Wake Up"
- "Queen Paranoia"
- "Anino Mo"
- "We Are One"
- "Miles Away"
- "Cariño Brutal"
- "Like Eskimo"
- "Ngayon Na"
- "Night Owls"
|NU Rock Awards
Best New Artist