|Single by Ne-Yo|
|from the album In My Own Words|
|Released||January 24, 2006|
|Format||12" single, CD single, digital download|
|Writer(s)||Mikkel S. Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, Shaffer Smith|
|Ne-Yo singles chronology|
"So Sick" is a song by American singer-songwriter Ne-Yo. The track was produced by Norwegian production team Stargate for Ne-Yo's debut studio album In My Own Words (2006). The song was released as the second single from the album.
"So Sick" was successful on charts worldwide, reaching number one in the United States and the United Kingdom. It's also Ne-Yo's biggest hit so far although the single also battled through controversy. It won the race to the UK number-one spot, scoring Ne-Yo his first UK number one and beating "Nature's Law" by Embrace which only reached number two due to a large count of legal download sales of "Nature's Law" which didn't register in the official charts.
Ne-Yo met Norwegian production team, Stargate, consisting of Mikkel S. Eriksen and Tor Erik Hermansen, in a hallway at Sony Music Studios on West 54th Street, New York City after the duo had settled there in the spring of 2005. After finding out they produced R&B-oriented tracks, among others, they started on writing songs for his debut studio album In My Own Words (2006). They produced six songs, including "So Sick".
Mikkel S. Eriksen and Tor Erik Hermansen of Stargate composed the music for the song, while Ne-Yo composed the lyric. "So Sick" centers on a character, who is tired of hearing love songs playing on the radio, as they remind him of his last relationship and breakup.
Ne-Yo has said he got the idea for the song from an old girlfriend he used to have. Ne-Yo told Billboard, "It's about the first time I fell in love with a girl in a way that I completely screwed it up. So it was a story that I didn't have to think really hard about putting it together. A lot of heartbreak went into that song, so that's why I think a lot of people dug it the way they did - because you can feel it."
"So Sick" received generally positive responses from contemporary critics. Bill Lamb of About stated that the smooth instrumental of the song makes it stand out and appropriate to listen during mid-winter season. He was pleased with the vocals of Ne-Yo, but noted that "more emotional involvement would have made his performance more memorable", while calling "restrained". A review from Contactmusic.com echoed the latter's comment, saying that his vocal rendition is "stunning", while complimenting the production a "melodic masterpiece".
The video for "So Sick", directed by Hype Williams, saw heavy rotation on BET and MTV. Two versions of the song's video were shot. The original version of the music video ended up being scrapped for various reasons. The newer version appealed to the current weather conditions of the winter season with the video being filmed in the snowy mountains.
Covers and remixes
There are currently 5 "So Sick" remixes. The official remix was produced by Trackmasters & features LL Cool J and also samples Michael Jackson's song, "Human Nature". This remix is on LL Cool J's 11th album, Todd Smith. One features Jin. Another remix features labelmate Jay-Z. Another remix which is sung by Patrick Stump from Fall Out Boy has also been known to cover the song. In 2007, saxophonist Kim Waters covers the song on Track #1 on You Are My Lady. There is also one with 2Pac. There is also a version that uses the "Seasons" riddim.
Formats and track listings
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||21|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||17|
|Czech Republic (Rádio Top 100)||16|
|Europe (European Hot 100 Singles)||1|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||11|
|Hungary (Rádiós Top 40)||7|
|Netherlands (Single Top 100)||11|
|Slovakia (Rádio Top 100)||94|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||5|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||1|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||3|
|US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard)||1|
|Japan (RIAJ)||2× Platinum||500,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||200,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||3× Platinum||3,500,000*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||32|
- Sisario, Ben (May 6, 2007). "Wizards in the Studio, Anonymous on the Street". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "So Sick by Ne-Yo Songfacts". songfacts.com. Retrieved 23 March 2015.
- Lamb, Bill. "Ne-Yo - So Sick". About. About, Inc. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- "So Sick, Single Review". Contactmusic. Contactmusic.com Ltd. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- "Australian-charts.com – Ne-Yo – So Sick". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Ne-Yo – So Sick" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Ne-Yo – So Sick" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200618 into search.
- "Danishcharts.com – Ne-Yo – So Sick". Tracklisten.
- "Ne-Yo Album & Song Chart History" European Hot 100 for Ne-Yo.
- "Lescharts.com – Ne-Yo – So Sick" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Chartverfulgong > Ne-Yo > So Sick – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track: Week 13, 2006". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Ne-Yo – So Sick" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Ne-Yo – So Sick". VG-lista.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 200637 into search.
- "Swisscharts.com – Ne-Yo – So Sick". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Ne-Yo: Artist Chart History" UK Singles Chart.
- "Ne-Yo Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Ne-Yo.
- "Ne-Yo Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Ne-Yo.
- "Ne-Yo Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Pop Songs for Ne-Yo.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2006 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- "Japanese single certifications – Ne-Yo – So Sick" (in Japanese). Recording Industry Association of Japan.
- "British single certifications – Ne-Yo – So Sick". British Phonographic Industry. Enter So Sick in the field Keywords. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Select Silver in the field By Award. Click Search
- "American single certifications – Ne-Yo – So Sick". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "2006 UK Singles Chart" (PDF). ChartsPlus. Retrieved 13 February 2015.