There are a number of different boundaries for the region. Sometimes it includes only the areas around the suburbs of Liverpool, and Campbelltown. Increasingly, it has also included Macarthur region (the local government areas of Camden Council, Campbelltown City Council, and Wollondilly Shire Council). It may also include the whole area from the inner south-west suburbs around Canterbury and Bankstown to the outer south-west suburbs around Campbelltown and beyond to Camden.
In this second, broader sense, South-western Sydney is the suburbs found in the local government areas of the City of Canterbury, City of Bankstown, City of Liverpool, City of Campbelltown, Camden Council, and Wollondilly Shire Council.
Several institutions have 'South Western Sydney' in their title, including:
- South Western Sydney Local Health District 
- South Western Sydney Institute 
- NSW Education - South Western Sydney Region 
- South Western Sydney Clinical School 
- Southern Sydney
- St George Area
- Greater Western Sydney
- Macarthur Region
- Regions of Sydney
- Western Sydney
- "Home- TAFE NSW - South Western Sydney Institute". Swsi.tafensw.edu.au. 2011-07-01. Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- "South Western Sydney". Schools.nsw.edu.au. 2013-07-17. Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- "South Western Sydney Clinical School - South Western Sydney Clinical School". Swscs.med.unsw.edu.au. 2013-11-15. Retrieved 2013-11-23.
|This article related to the geography of Sydney is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|