Spectemur Agendo is a Latin motto meaning Let us be judged by our acts.
Denique (quid verbis opus est?) spectemur agendo!
which most literal translations render as
Finally (what is the use of words?) let us be seen together in action!
United Kingdom institutions
It is the civic motto of:
- London Borough of Lambeth, with the translation Let us be regarded according to our conduct;
- London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, using the translation Let us be judged by our actions,
- it was also used by the previous Metropolitan Borough of Hammersmith;
- the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley covering the town of Barnsley and a surrounding area in South Yorkshire. The Borough uses the more direct translation Judge us by our Actions in publicity; the motto appears with the town crest on the shirts of Barnsley F.C. football club.
Spectemur agendo is also the motto of:
- The National Examining Board for Dental Nurses (NEBDN)
- The Royal Dublin Fusiliers
- RAF Benson
- The 148 (Barnsley) Squadron Of the Air Training Corps Based in Barnsley
- the 344 (Fulham) Squadron of the Air Training Corps based in Hammersmith.
- Kingsbury High School
- the Albion FC in Clapham, London.
- Maclear House, at King's College School, Wimbledon.
- Swindon Cricket Club
and was once the motto of Dishforth Police Training Centre. The motto was then adopted by the North Eastern Police Training Centre at Durham, which opened when Disforth closed.
Spectemur Agendo was once the motto of Newbridge Comprehensive School, South Wales. Spectemur Agendo was also the motto of Earsham Hall School, Bungay, Suffolk. Spectemur Agendo was once on the crest of Queens Park Rangers football club.
United States institutions
In the United States, it is the motto of several college student organizations including:
- the Cap and Skull Senior Honor Society (Rutgers University),
- the Beta Charge of Theta Delta Chi Fraternity at Cornell University,
It is the official motto of:
- Westminster Choir College
- Apple Valley Police Department of Minnesota.
- York Fire/Rescue Department of York, Pennsylvania.
- The Anaheim Kingsmen Drum and Bugle Corps - the 1972 DCI world champions.
- The Spring Hill High School soccer team in Spring Hill, Kansas, est 2007.
Sweet Briar College uses it as the class motto every four years. Their translation is We are proven by our actions
- Camberwell Grammar School, a Church of England school for boys in Melbourne, also wears the motto, preferring the translation By our deeds may we be known.
- Clyde House (formerly Clyde School) within Geelong Grammar School,
- Gosford High School, Gosford, New South Wales
- Hawthorn Football Club
- Lismore High School, Lismore, New South Wales
- Newcastle Grammar School
- South Sydney High School, Maroubra, New South Wales
- The Forest High School, Frenchs Forest, New South Wales
New Zealand Schools
South African institutions
- Gymnasium Haganum (schoolpaper: spectemur agendo-spec)
Family and clan mottos
It is the Cobb family motto, and the Eager family motto, that can be found on its crest, dating back to ancestors who held the family seats in the counties of Yorkshire and Northumberland in England from ancient times.
It is also is the McClure Family Motto, the ancestors of the bearers of this surname were thought to be of the ancient Dalriadan clans of Scotland.