Steve Williams (rower)
|Representing Great Britain|
|2004 Athens||Coxless Four|
|2008 Beijing||Coxless Four|
|2000 Zagreb||Coxed Four|
|2001 Lucerne||Coxless Four|
|2002 Seville||Coxless Four|
|2003 Milan||Coxless Four|
|2005 Gifu||Coxless Four|
|2006 Eton||Coxless Four|
Williams made his full international debut in 1998 at the age of 22. He partnered Fred Scarlett in the coxless pair, and came a creditable sixth in his first world championships. A year later he partnered Simon Dennis in the same event, this time finishing fifth. In 2000 both Scarlett and Dennis would win seats in the Eight for the Olympics in Sydney, but Williams just missed out, and instead was part of a coxed four which won a gold medal at the World Championships in Zagreb for non-Olympic events. The following year he was again world champion, this time in the coxless four, and won the silver medal in the same discipline in both 2002 and 2003.
Williams was the only member of the 2004 Olympic crew to continue racing for the 2005 season, joining Alex Partridge, Peter Reed and Andrew Triggs-Hodge in the coxless four, again winning at the World Championships that year and in 2006, before coming a disappointing fourth at the 2007 world championships. In 2008, Partridge was replaced by Cambridge Blue Tom James, and despite an injury torn season, the quartet became Olympic Champions, defeating the Australian boat by 1.28s on the day dubbed 'Super Saturday' by the media, owing to the large GB medal haul. The Australians had led for much of the race, before an epic push by the British boat overhauled them in the last 400m.
Williams was appointed as a fitness consultant to Andy Liddell for Ipswich Town Football Club on 3 July 2012.
- 2008 - Gold, Coxless Four (with Andy Hodge, Peter Reed, Tom James)
- 2004 - Gold, Coxless Four (with Matthew Pinsent, James Cracknell, Ed Coode)
- 2007 - 4th, Coxless Four (with Peter Reed, Alex Partridge and Andrew Triggs-Hodge)
- 2006 - Gold, Coxless Four (with Peter Reed, Alex Partridge and Andrew Triggs-Hodge)
- 2005 - Gold, Coxless Four (with Peter Reed, Alex Partridge and Andrew Triggs-Hodge)
- 2003 - Silver, Coxless Four (with Josh West, Rick Dunn and Toby Garbett)
- 2002 - Silver, Coxless Four (with Josh West, Rick Dunn and Toby Garbett)
- 2001 - Gold, Coxless Four (with Ed Coode, Rick Dunn and Toby Garbett)
- 2000 - Gold, Coxed Four (with Alistair Potts, Rick Dunn, Toby Garbett and Graham Smith)
- 1999 - 5th, Coxless Pair (with Simon Dennis)
- 1998 - 6th, Coxless Pair (with Fred Scarlett)
- Leander Club (where Steve Williams is a member)
- Williams' Team GB profile
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2008.
- "GB Olympic champion rower Steve Williams retires". BBC. 22 January 2010. Retrieved 23 January 2010.
- "Williams confident of British prospects without him in 2012". morethanthegames. 22 January 2012. Retrieved 23 January 2010.