Talk:Significance of numbers in Judaism
|WikiProject Judaism||(Rated Start-class, High-importance)|
|This page was nominated for deletion on August 26, 2010. The result of the discussion was keep.|
Countdown to deletion 
This article is mainly trivia. I accept that you could make a notable article about the significance of numbers in Judaism, but this is not it.
It lists things that HAPPEN to be certain numbers, rather than just numbers that are specifically significant in their own right. For example, the date of something is NOT significant as a number.
This article is NOT called "list of all numbers used in any way in Judaism".
There ARE significant numbers like 7, 12, and 40, but it is only SOME cases of these that are significant AS NUMBERS.
Don't wreck the article by filling it with all possible things that happen to involve such numbers, nor by filling it with all possible numbers.
- I agree that this article should be deleted as a list of trivia. Will nominate it for deletion in a few days. Debresser (talk) 23:02, 19 August 2010 (UTC)
- This is a notable topic. There are books written on this subject, thereby enabling it to meet WP:N. One example is Who knows one?: a book of Jewish numbers By Yaffa Ganz. This article would probably survive afd. Instead of making a deletion proposal, let's see how we can improve it from here. Xyz7890 (talk) 04:05, 20 August 2010 (UTC)
- If you look at WP:BEFORE, you will see that this is an article that has some information of encylopedic value in it, and there should probably be a good-faith effort to salvage it. I have started a discussion below so we can talk about ideas on how to modify this page prior to starting an afd. Xyz7890 (talk) 20:22, 20 August 2010 (UTC)
Ideas for modifying this page as an alternative to AFD 
Some people have expressed that this page should go to AFD. I personally think it could be salvaged with some changes. It will probably take far more than just 7 days to come up with a solution. Let's discuss what can be done to improve this page so it conforms with Wikipedia guidelines. Xyz7890 (talk) 20:22, 20 August 2010 (UTC)
Some possibilities include:
- Writing an introduction to the article
- Adding sourced text in paragraph form on how each number listed is significant in Judaism
- Changing the single lines into paragraphs
I have nominated this article for deletion, see Wikipedia:Articles for deletion/Significance of numbers in Judaism. Debresser (talk) 22:40, 26 August 2010 (UTC)
- Agree with this as well. Why use bad English. BTW, there is some bad English in the text itself as well. Debresser (talk) 23:02, 19 August 2010 (UTC)
Brainstorming how to fix this article. 
I think one way to prevent list-itis is to require at a minimum two or three items for a section. Otherwise the value should be grouped by context in a topic-list placed at the top of the page. So, to give an example, a number of the entries correspond to the gematria of hebrew lettering. Rather than create an entry for each letter this would be a good candidate for a section that would say fall under the heading "Hebrew Numerology" -> "Gematria." Also another common theme found throughout the article is life-span. This could be placed in the category "Genealogy."
Removal of category Jewish philosophy 
"Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language". How does this fit? Editor2020 (talk) 20:05, 23 January 2011 (UTC)