|Birth name||Tammar Anika Chin|
|Also known as||Tami Chynn|
|Born||14 June 1984|
|Genres||Reggae fusion, Dancehall, Pop, R&B, Reggae|
|Labels||Universal/SRC/Konvict Muzik (former)|
|Associated acts||Sean PaulWayne Marshall|
Tami Chynn (born Tammar Anika Chin) is a Jamaican singer, songwriter and dancer.
Tami Chynn (born 14 June 1984) was born in Kingston, Jamaica. Her father, Richard Chin, is of Chinese descent with Cherokee ancestry and her mother, Christine Chin is caucasian and black. Her parents were in a band called The Carnations and her younger sister, Tessanne Chin, is also a reggae fusion singer and former member of the group 'Mile High', and won Season 5 of The Voice (US).
Tami grew up in the parish of St. Andrew and attended St. Peter and Paul Preparatory School. She later attended Campion College in St. Andrew, Jamaica. In 1998, at age 14, she moved to Leamington Spa, UK where she spent three years studying the performing arts and in 2001, at age 17, moved back to Jamaica where she worked on her music career and recorded her first single "Rock U".
Tami Chynn married fellow reggae/dancehall artist Wayne Marshall in 2009.
In 2010, Tami collaborates with Slovakian born Jamaica fashion designer Lubica Kucerova to create the Anuna and Anuna Goddess collections. The collection debuted at 2010 Fashion Art Toronto: Alternative Arts Fashion Week. Later that year, the duo would be nominated at The Jamaica Observer Style Awards and win the Designer of the Year Award.
2005-2007: Beginnings and Out of Many... One
Before pursuing music, she toured with fellow Jamaican artist Shaggy as a backup dancer on his Caught Red Handed Tour. In early 2005 she travelled to Los Angeles, California, USA to perform for Universal Motown Records and in May she was signed to the major label,at age 24, for a four album deal. Before releasing her debut album in the US she appeared in recordings with international Reggae stars: Beenie Man, Lady Saw and Sean Paul on his album The Trinity for the track "All on Me".
In March 2006, she was nominated for Best New Entertainer Award at the International Reggae and World Music Awards, but lost the award to reggae artist Matisyahu. Leading up to the release of her debut album, Out of Many...One she toured clubs around the US for promotion.
Later in 2006 she released her first US single "Hyperventilating" which became a hit on the internet that summer but wasn't a mainstream success. During that summer she released her first album Out of Many...One which also failed to chart in the US but managed to peak at #41 on the Japanese Oricon charts. In 2007 her song "Over and Over" appeared on the compilations Biggest One Drop Anthems 2007 (released 8 October 2007 on the Greensleeves label) and Strictly The Best Vol. 38 (released 20 November 2007 through VP Records)
2008: New record label and Prima Donna
In 2008 Tami received notice by artist Akon who signed her up to his label Konvict Muzik and began production of her second album Prima Donna. Recording of the album began in January in Akon's Atlanta studios with Akon and RedOne executive producing the album. The lead single for the album, "Frozen" (featuring Akon), was released in August, 2008. In March she toured the UK and made an appearance on the BBC Radio show 1Xtra Live, on 22 March 2008 with Akon and performed Frozen. Chynn is expecting a child later this year with husband Wayne Marshall. The couple wed in 2009 In September 2008, she starred in a Pepsi commercial alongside Verne Troyer, T-Pain and Shaggy and made a cover of Kung Fu Fighting for the commercial which is based on Kung Fu. During October, 2008 she opened for New Kids on the Block on their New Kids on the Block Tour alongside Lady Gaga, Natasha Bedingfield and Colby O'Donis. She also appeared in the video "I'm So Paid" by Akon. After cutting ties with Universal, Prima Donna remains unreleased; however, Tami Chynn has stated she is currently at work on a third album that is to become a sophomore release.
In 2011, American singer-songwriter/actress Jennifer Lopez re-recorded 'Hypnotico', a song Chynn had written and recorded for her unreleased second album Prima Donna alongside Lady Gaga and RedOne for Lopez's seventh studio album Love? released 3 May 2011 in the United States. Tami Chynn now plans to release the songs on Prima Donna to other artists to perform as their own songs.
|Year||Album||Peak chart positions||Sales||Certifications|
|2006||Out of Many...One||41
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that territory.|
|US||US Dance Club Play||US Dance Airplay||JPN|
|2001||"Rock U" (feat. Kid Kurup)||—||—||—||—||Single Only|
|2004||"Hyperventilating (Stepz Medly)"||—||—||—||—|
|"Ice Breaker Medley (Gimme Good)"||—||—||—||—|
|"Tell Mi Seh"||—||—||—||—||Out of Many...One|
|"Over and Over Again"||—||—||—||—|
|2008||"Frozen" (feat. Akon)||—||3||17||80||Prima Donna|
|2010||"Certified Diva" (feat. Tifa)||—||—||—||—||Single Only|
|"Nevah Know (Wicked Inna Bed)"||—||—||—||—||Bad Suh Riddim|
|2011||"Long Time"||—||—||—||—||Single Only||"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that territory.|
As featured artist
|"Don't You Go"||Elan (feat. Tami Chynn)||Together as One|
|"All On Me"||Sean Paul (feat. Tami Chynn)||The Trinity|
|"Ice Breaker Riddim Medley"||(feat. Tami Chynn, Voicemail, Wayne Marshall, Kid Kurupt, Christopher,[disambiguation needed] Assassin, Busy Signal)||Single only|
|"Hot Part 2"||Le7is aka Jonathan Edward Chisolm (feat. Tami Chynn)|
|"Arguin"||Wayne Marshall (feat. Tami Chynn)|
|"Why"||Wayne Marshall (feat. Tami Chynn)|
|"Take Me Back Remix"||Tinchy Stryder (feat. Tami Chynn, Taio Cruz, Sway and Chipmunk)|
|"Can You Feel Me"||Michael Bolton (feat. Tami Chynn)||One World One Love|
|"Sycamore Tree"||Sean Paul (feat. Tami Chynn)||Single|
|2001||"Rock U"||Ras Kassa|
|2004||"Hyperventilating (Stepz Medly)"||Nordia Rose|
|"Ice Breaker Medley (Gimme Good)"||Nadia & Naylor|
|"Tell Mi Seh"||Nadia & Naylor|
|"Over and Over Again"|
- "Tami Chynn - Dancehall's Princess of Pop". ReggaeReport.com. 2008-03-31.
- ReggaeReport.com - Tami Chynn
- "Tami Chynn: The Princess of Eclectic Dancehall". Vibe.com. 2006-05-30.
- "TessAnne Chin: Out of many One Voices, A big voice". jamaicans.com. 2007-06-25.
- Planet Urban. RnB News: Tami Chynn Prepares Universal Debut Planet Urban. Accessed 4 May 2008.
- Jamaica Observer. Tami Chynn signs four-album deal with Universal Records Jamaica Observer. Accessed 4 May 2008.
- "Tami Chynn - Out Of Many... One". MusicRemedy.com. 2008-04-17.
- Vibe Magazine. Tami Chynn: The Princess of Eclectic Dancehall Vibe Magazine. Accessed 4 May 2008.
- The Movement. New Artist: Tami Chynn The Movement. Accessed 15 May 2008.
- DJBooth.net. Tami Chynn ft. Akon - Frozen DJBooth.net. Accessed 15 May 2008.
- Oricon (Japanese Charts). Official Japanese Charts Oricon. Accessed 4 May 2008.
- Jpopmusic. JpopMusic Forum JpopMusic Forum. Accessed 4 May 2008.
- Greensleeves Records. Biggest One Drop Anthems 2007 Greensleeves Records. Accessed 4 May 2008.
- CD Universe. Strictly The Best Vol. 38 CD CD Universe. Accessed 4 May 2008.
- Making The Mogul. Talking With Konvict Muzik’s Bu Thiam Making The Mogul. Accessed 11 May 2008.
- Alicia-Zone. Akon, Alicia Keys to receive Int’l Friends of Reggae award Alicia-Zone. Accessed 11 May 2008.
- The Jamaica Observer. TAMI CHYNN: 'Prima Donna' Taking Control The Jamaica Observer. Accessed 11 May 2008.
- Yard Report (31 March 2008). Tami Chynn - Dancehall's Princess of Pop ReggaeReport.com. Accessed 15 April 2008.
- Tami-Chynn.org (4 September 2008). Pepsi Commercial Tami-Chynn.org. Accessed 8 September 2008.
- Pepsi. Pepsi Kung-Fu website Pepsi. Accessed 8 September 2008.
- kickmag.net. Pop Artist Tami Chynn to Open for New Kids On The Block - Detroit, MI Palace of Auburn Hills kickmag.net. Accessed 23 September 2008.
- I'm So Paid Video
- VibeOne. Is Tami Chynn Pregnant for Wayne Marshall? VibeOne. Accessed May 15, 2008.
- Ras Kassa. Ras Kassa Music video director for Rock U. Accessed September 8, 2008.
- Nordia Rose. Tami Chynn's New Video Yard Flex Interview. Accessed September 8, 2008.
- Nadia & Naylor. Tami Chynn - Jamaica's New Dancehall Sensation Yard Flex Interview. Accessed September 8, 2008.
- Cinematographer Tim Naylor. October 2005 - Tami Chynn Video Tim Naylor.com. Accessed August 23, 2008.
- Official Site
- Official Japan Site
- Tami Chynn on Myspace
- Record Label Page
- Certified Diva on YouTube
- Fan Blog