The Ascension (professional wrestling)
6 ft 5 in (1.96 m)
6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)
265 lbs (120 kg)
217 lbs (98 kg)
|Debut||August 28, 2011|
The Ascension is a villainous professional wrestling tag team, consisting of Konnor and Viktor. The Ascension started out as a stable which also had Kenneth Cameron, Ricardo Rodriguez, Tito Colon, and Raquel Diaz, but later became a tag team with O'Brian and Cameron after O'Brian returned from injury in March while Rodriguez, Colon, and Diaz had all disbanded from The Ascension.
On August 28, 2011, Ricardo Rodriguez announced the formation of a stable called The Ascension, with members including Kenneth Cameron, Conor O'Brian, Tito Colon, and Raquel Diaz. The first match to include all members in some capacity came on September 1, 2011, and saw Cameron, Colon and O’Brian, accompanied by Diaz, defeating CJ Parker, Donny Marlow and Johnny Curtis. On September 30, Cameron and Colon had a shot at the Florida Tag Team Championship but lost to then champions CJ Parker and Donny Marlow.
By October, The Ascension was no longer associated with Rodriguez, as video packages promoting The Ascension with new darker characters only featured the other four Ascension members without Rodriguez. By the end of November The Ascension had all but disbanded, as O'Brian fell to injury and Colon was been called up to WWE to team with his cousin Primo (see Primo & Epico), meanwhile Diaz became Queen of FCW and distanced herself from the group. This left Cameron as the sole survivor of The Ascension and he continued to use The Ascension gimmick during his appearances. However the disintegration of the group would prove to be beneficial for Cameron as he would go onto a three month singles winning streak beating the likes of Jiro and Calvin Raines until he finally lost to Colin Cassady on February 23, 2012.
O'Brian and Cameron (2012–2013)
On March 15, 2012 Cameron was accompanied to the ring by the returning Conor O'Brian in his match against Byron Saxton, the match ended in disqualification when O'Brian interfered. Cameron and O'Brian began wrestling as a tag team using the name of The Ascension, and their first tag team match together came on March 23 when the two defeated Jason Jordan and Xavier Woods. The Ascension suffered their first loss when the pair lost to the Florida Tag Team Champions, Corey Graves and Jake Carter, in a title bout. After this loss the Ascension would go on another winning streak, including winning a fatal four way elimination against the teams of Adam Mercer & Chad Baxter, Jason Jordan & Mike Dalton, and Brad Maddox & Rick Victor.
On June 6, 2012, The Ascension made their debut on NXT, defeating Mike Dalton and CJ Parker with their double team finisher, Downcast. They would later enter a rivalry with the Usos, with the Ascension getting the better end of most of the encounters between the two teams. The Ascension also defeated another main roster team in Tyson Kidd and Justin Gabriel on the October 3, 2012 episode of NXT. However, Cameron was released on November 30, 2012 after being arrested.
Konnor and Viktor (2013–present)
From there O'Brian worked as a singles wrestler keeping the Ascension gimmick on his own for some time. Following O'Brian's victory over Alex Riley on the June 5, 2013 edition of NXT, Rick Victor appeared on the ramp, getting O'Brian's attention. Victor would officially accompany O'Brian to the ring as his partner in the Ascension on the July 3 edition of NXT as O'Brian defeated Andy Baker. After winning a gauntlet match to determine the number one contenders for the NXT Tag Team Championship, the Ascension defeated the team of Adrian Nevile and Corey Graves on the October 2 edition of NXT to capture the titles. On the 8th of November the two were renamed, Connor O'Brian renamed to Konnor and Rick Victor renamed to Viktor.
For the majority of their title reign; The Ascension would battle and dismantle local wrestlers in mere minutes with very little to no offense from their opponents. Their first major title defense was against Too Cool at NXT's first live event; NXT Arrival where they emerged victorious. The Ascension began demanding competition in the weeks following, moving up from local wrestlers to random combinations of teams made up from contracted wrestlers. While still disabling and annihilating their opponents week after week, they were confronted by a team of masked wrestlers; El Local and Kalisto who challenged them for their tag team titles at the second live event, NXT Takeover. Though they were given their toughest challenge to date, The Ascension successfully defended their gold after hitting Fall of Man on Local.
The Ascension made their main roster debut on the September 9, 2014 edition of Main Event, defeating Los Matadores in a match to promote their title defense against the team of Kalisto and Sin Cara at the NXT Takeover: Fatal 4 Way event. At the event, The Ascension lost the titles to Kalisto and Sin Cara, ending their reign a day short of a full year. That same night they were in an altercation with William Regal and the debuting Hideo Itami. After feuding with and assaulting Itami for several weeks; Finn Balor a second international wrestler joined Hideo in his fight against both Konnor and Viktor with a match being set for December 11 at NXT Takeover: R Evolution where The Ascension were defeated. The following night on Smackdown a vignette aired for their promotion to the main roster with them wearing face paint and shoulder pads.
- Double team finishing moves
- O'Brian and Cameron
- Konnor and Viktor
- Konnor's finishing moves
- Entrance themes
- "Let Battle Commence" by Daniel Nielsen (2011–2014)
- "Rebellion" by CFO$ (2014–present)
Championship and accomplishment
- http://forums.onlineworldofwrestling.com/showthread.php/17403-FCW-Ascension[unreliable source]
- http://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=78916[unreliable source]
- Bishop, Matt. "WWE NXT: Kidd, McGillicutty start new show off in style". SLAM! Wrestling. Retrieved 14 July 2012.
- "NXT WEEKLY RANKINGS & EVALUATION 6/20 - New NXT Week 1: Early impressions from new cast of FCW talent". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
heir gimmick is Brood-esque, selling they have demonic supernatural qualities such as hanging out a top building sites without even wearing a hard hat.
- James, Justin. "JAMES'S WWE NXT REPORT 8/15 - Week 9: Gold Rush tournament continues, Scotty 2 Hotty cameo, Overall Reax". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- James, Justin. "JAMES'S WWE NXT REPORT 8/29 - Week 11: First NXT champion crowned in big-match setting". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- James, Justin. "JAMES'S WWE NXT RESULTS 9/5: Hero (Ohno) vs. Steamboats feud, Ross interviews new NXT champ, Clay, Usos, more". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- James, Justin. "JAMES'S WWE NXT REPORT 10/17 - Week 17: Six-man tag main event, Barreta & others, Overall Reax". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 29 November 2012.
- James, Justin. "JAMES'S WWE NXT REPORT 10/3 - Week 16: Kidd & Gabriel main event, Showtime is back, Ohno-Steamboat issue continues, Overall Reax". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- James, Justin. "JAMES'S WWE NXT RESULTS 5/29 & 6/5: Wyatts defend Tag Titles, NXT Women's Title introduced, #1 contender battle royal, Parade of released NXT wrestlers in matches". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 6 June 2013.
- "JAMES'S WWE NXT REPORT 9/25". PWTorch. 2013-02-10. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- "JAMES'S WWE NXT REPORT 10/2: New NXT Tag champions". PWTorch. 2013-02-10. Retrieved 2013-10-20.
- Trionfo, Richard. "WWE NXT REPORT: A NEW SETTING; A NEW COMMENTARY TEAM; SOME NEW FACES; THE USUAL FROM TYSON KIDD AND MICHAEL MCGILLICUTTY". PWInsider. Retrieved 7 July 2012.
O’Brian tags back in and they hit the DownCast (Cameron with a jaw breaker and Conor with a flapjack) for the three count.
- Bishop, Matt. "WWE NXT: Steamboat, Ohno continue on". SLAM! Wrestling. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- Trionfo, Richard. "WWE NXT REPORT: THE FIRST NXT CHAMPION IS CROWNED; DOES LIGHTNING STRIKE TWICE FOR DALTON AND JORDAN?; DID WE SEE THE MOST DOMINANT FORCE IN NXT IN THE RING?; THE USOS AND ASCENSION BATTLE". PWInsider. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
The Ascension with Total Elimination to Jey on the floor. They give Jimmy Total Elimination in the ring.
- "The 10 coolest moves in WWE right now: #5 The Ascension's Fall of Man". WWE. 2014-09-26. Retrieved 2014-09-26.
- James, Justin. "JAMES'S WWE NXT REPORT 2/6 - Week 32: Tag Tournament continues, Bo Dallas's main-roster debut carries over, Overall Reax". PWInsider. Retrieved 2013-02-10.
- "JAMES'S WWE NXT REPORT 7/3 - WEEK 53: Bo Dallas defends NXT Title, Women's Tourney continues, Mason Ryan". PWTorch. Retrieved 2013-07-14.
- "JAMES'S WWE NXT RESULTS 5/29 & 6/5: Wyatts defend Tag Titles, NXT Women's Title introduced, #1 contender battle royal, Parade of released NXT wrestlers in matches". PWTorch. Retrieved 2013-06-21.