The Killing Fields (album)
|The Killing Fields|
|Soundtrack album by Mike Oldfield|
|Released||26 November 1984|
|Recorded||England, Germany & Switzerland 1984|
|Mike Oldfield chronology|
|Singles from The Killing Fields|
The Killing Fields is the 10th record album by Mike Oldfield, released in 1984 on Virgin Records. It was the soundtrack album for the British drama film of the same name based on the experiences of two journalists in the Khmer Rouge regime in Cambodia. It is the only full length film score written by Oldfield.
The music was orchestrated by David Bedford. The Killing Fields is expected to be re-released in a deluxe edition format in 2015, as per all previous albums which were originally released on the Virgin label.
Though Oldfield's music had been used in films before (see The Exorcist and The Space Movie), this was the first time he had written specifically for film, and so far the only time. Oldfield composed the album on a Fairlight CMI.
Like many movies, the album is not a comprehensive record of all the Oldfield soundtrack music used in the film. Most notably, the music accompanying the darkroom sequence does not feature on the album. The single from the album, "Étude", is taken from the Francisco Tarrega piece "Recuerdos de la Alhambra".
Oldfield spent six months working on the score for The Killing Fields before going on tour, but when Oldfield returned the producers of the film asked for more music to be written, prompting Oldfield to ask for the use of an orchestra and a choir; three months later the score was finished. It was released just a few months after Oldfield's previous album, Discovery.
All tracks written by Mike Oldfield, except where stated.
- "Pran's Theme" – 0:44
- "Requiem for a City" – 2:11
- "Evacuation" – 5:14
- "Pran's Theme 2" – 1:41
- "Capture" – 2:24
- "Execution" – 4:47
- "Bad News" – 1:14
- "Pran's Departure" – 2:08
- "Worksite" – 1:16
- "The Year Zero" – 0:28 (David Bedford)
- "Blood Sucking" – 1:19
- "The Year Zero 2" – 0:37
- "Pran's Escape / The Killing Fields" – 3:17
- "The Trek" – 2:02
- "The Boy's Burial / Pran Sees the Red Cross" – 2:24
- "Good News" – 1:46
- "Étude" – 4:37 (Francisco Tárrega, arranged by Mike Oldfield)
- Mike Oldfield – guitars (Gibson Les Paul Junior and SG Junior), synthesizers (including Sequential Circuits Prophet 5, Oberheim OB-Xa, DMX and Roland VP 330), Fairlight computer, producer, engineer
- Preston Heyman – oriental percussion
- Morris Pert – percussion
- Eberhard Schoener – conductor
- Bavarian State Orchestra
- Tölzer Boys Choir
- Mike Oldfield Discography - The Killing Fields at Tubular.net