The Sneetches (band)
|Origin||San Francisco, California, United States|
|Genres||Indie pop, power pop|
|Labels||Kaleidoscope Sound, Creation, Alias, Bus Stop, spinART|
|Past members||Mike Levy
Alejandro "Alec" Palao
The Sneetches was an indie pop/power pop band formed in San Francisco, California in 1985, who released several albums before splitting up in the mid-1990s. The band was described by Trouser Press as "one of the most tasteful, consistently tuneful pop bands on the American scene".
The initial line-up was Mike Levy (vocals, bass) and Matt Carges (guitar) adding English drummer Daniel Swan, formerly of The Cortinas by 1988. The band showed influences from the likes of The Zombies, The Left Banke and The Easybeats, all of whom had tracks covered by The Sneetches. They signed to the London-based Kaleidoscope Sound label, and debuted in 1988 with "Only For a Moment", followed by the mini-album Lights Out! With The Sneetches. They were then signed by Creation Records in the UK and Alias Records in the United States, who issued the band's debut full-length album, Sometimes That's All We Have, in 1989, described by Allmusic as "a masterful album highly recommended to all fans of the style". Levy switched to guitar with the recruitment of former Stingrays bassist Alejandro "Alec" Palao in 1990. Slow followed on Alias in 1990, the band then moving on to the Bus Stop label for three singles between 1991 and 1993, later compiled on the Think Again compilation.
In 1993, the band recorded a mini-album with Chris Wilson of The Flamin' Groovies, and recorded a final album, Blow Out the Sun, in 1994, before splitting up. A posthumous mini-set, Starfucker, comprising demo recordings of tracks that were not included on Blow Out the Sun, was released by Bus Stop in 1995.
Levy began work on a solo album in 1995, Fireflies, which was eventually released in 2000.
- Light Out! With The Sneetches (1988) Kaleidocope Sound
- Sometimes That's All We Have (1989) Creation/Alias
- Slow (1990) Alias
- Chris Wilson & The Sneetches (1993) Marilyn
- Blow Out the Sun (1994) spinART
- Starfucker (1995) Bus Stop
- 1985-1991 (1991) Alias
- Think Again (1993) Bus Stop
- Obscureyears (1994) Creation Rev-Ola
- "Only for a Moment" (1988) Kaleidoscope Sound
- "He's Frank"/"Please Don't Break My Heart" (1989) Alias
- "She Does Everything For Me" (1991) Bus Stop
- "...and I'm Thinking" (1992) Bus Stop
- "A Good Thing" (1993) Bus Stop
- "She May Call You Up Tonight" (1993) Jelly Bean
- Sunnyside Down EP (1993) Elefant
- Scott McCaughey & John M. Borack "Sneetches", Trouser Press
- Strong, Martin C. (2003) "Sneetches", in The Great Indie Discography, Canongate, ISBN 1-84195-335-0
- Mason, Stewart "Sometimes That's All We Have Review", Allmusic, Macrovision Corporation
- Mason, Stewart "Starfucker Review", Allmusic, Macrovision Corporation
- Faller, Jessica (2001) "Former Sneetches `Fireflies` album shines brightly", The Lantern
- The Sneetches at The Bus Stop Label