|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||(List of episodes)|
|Running time||42 minutes|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original run||March 31, 1998– present|
True Life is an American documentary television series that has been airing on MTV since March 31, 1998. Each episode follows a particular topic, such as heroin addiction as in the first episode - "Fatal Dose." The show is created by following a series of subjects by a camera crew through a certain part of their lives.
True Life has covered over 140 topics from drug use, money issues, sexual topics to simple social behavior like visiting the Jersey Shore. There is an occasional intersection between this show and other shows. For example, the episode "I'm a Reality TV Star" featured people from The Real World and Survivor, while the episode "I'm a Muay Thai Fighter" and "I'm a Mixed Martial Artist" both featured Kit Cope, who has recently signed a deal with the WFA and Frankie Edgar, who was the UFC Lightweight Champion. In the episode "I'm Bisexual," Sydney goes on a date with A.D. from From G's to Gents. In 2011, Sydney was featured in season 6 of Oxygen's Bad Girls Club. Lazar, who was in the episode "I'm in A Love Triangle," was in a 2007 episode of Parental Control.
Awards and nominations
- Won 2009 Emmy Award for Best Special Class Series.
- Won 2000 Image Award for Outstanding News, Talk, or Information Special (For episode "I Am Driving While Black".)
- Won 2005 GLAAD ashleeMedia Award for Outstanding Documentary (For episode "I'm Gay and I'm Getting Married". Accepted by Aaron Pike and Stephen Schonberg)
- True Life: I'm on Crystal Meth Won 2007 Prism Award for TV Teen Series Episode or Special (awarded to Cheryl Horner Sirulnick.)
- Nominated 2000 GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding TV Journalism (For the segment "Matthew's Murder".)
- Nominated 2003 GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Documentary (For episode "I'm Coming Out.")
- "Episodes: True Life". TV Guide. Retrieved 4 March 2011.