Two Gallants (band)
Two Gallants performing in Paris, 2007
|Origin||San Francisco, California, United States|
Two Gallants are made up of Adam Stephens (b. 1981) on guitar, harmonica and vocals and Tyson Vogel (b. 7 November 1981) on drums and vocals.
Stephens and Vogel started performing around San Francisco as Two Gallants in 2002, when both were 21; the two had been making music together since the age of twelve. They made two separate self-released CDs, which are now out of print. Those recordings were spread around the US during the early years of touring (house shows, warehouses, street corners, parks, etc.) After recording their debut, The Throes, for Alive Records, they kept up the touring but started playing more clubs. In July 2005, the band signed with Saddle Creek records. In August 2005, they played their first shows overseas in London as well as Reading and Leeds festivals. In February 2006, they released What the Toll Tells on Saddle Creek records. This spawned two singles: "Las Cruces Jail" and "Steady Rollin'". They toured Europe at the start of 2006 after the album release, played the Saddle Creek SXSW showcase in March, and then toured the US and parts of Canada in May and June. They were invited to play numerous European festivals throughout the summer and then picked up again in September to tour the US and Europe for the second time of the year. They appeared at the 2012 Outside Lands Music and Arts Festival in San Francisco.
During the US tour the band gained music press attention for an incident at a performance in Houston, Texas, when a police officer investigating a noise complaint at the club Walter's on Washington allegedly attacked the band and several fans present with a Taser.
They released a self-titled album, their third full-length, in September 2007 on Saddle Creek, which included the single "Despite What You've Been Told".
- The Throes (2004 · Alive Records)
- What the Toll Tells (2006 · Saddle Creek)
- Two Gallants (2007 · Saddle Creek)
- The Bloom and the Blight (September 4, 2012 · ATO Records)
Singles & EPs
- I'm Her Man (2004, Alive Records)
- Las Cruces Jail (2005, Saddle Creek)
- Steady Rollin' (2006, Saddle Creek)
- Despite What You've Been Told (2007, Saddle Creek)
- "Two Gallants Speak Out About Houston Incident". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
- Goodman, Elizabeth. "When a Texas Cop Attacks: Two Gallants Reveal the Bizarre, Alarming and Even Amusing Details". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Two Gallants (band)|
- Featured Band
- Official Two Gallants website
- ATO Records
- Saddle Creek
- The Bloom and the Blight by Two Gallants
- Alive Records
- Country Music Goodness Interview
- Allmusic: Two Gallants
- Lazy-i Interview: September 2005
- The filmclip to their single, Steady Rollin'
- "Free Songs: Two Gallants" at Daytrotter
- "Free Songs: Two Gallants (encore)" at Daytrotter
- Acoustic Session with 'They Shoot Music Dont They'