John Congleton (born April 5, 1977) is a Grammy-nominated producer/engineer/mixer who produced his own band, The Paper Chase, and many other artists. He is managed by Adam Katz of Next Wave Management in Los Angeles. He runs Elmwood Recording.
In addition to his production work Congleton fronted the indie rock band, The Paper Chase, and writes music for a newer project entitled The Nighty Nite and music for various projects, including MTV's Jackass, the Discovery Channel, and several Halloween sound effects/music CDs. In a recent interview John said he was currently working with Franz Ferdinand, Sparks, Chelsea Wolfe, and Nelly Futardo.
Congleton has worked with Amanda Palmer, St. Vincent, The Walkmen, Modest Mouse, Angel Olsen, Swans The Thermals, Cloud Nothings, Earl Sweatshirt, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Something for Kate, Okkervil River, Sarah Jaffe, David Byrne, Brian Wilson, Astronautalis, Bill Callahan, Smog, Xiu Xiu, Lower Dens, The Polyphonic Spree, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Kirk Franklin, Explosions in the Sky, The Black Angels, Blood Red Shoes, Clinic, R. Kelly, The Mountain Goats, Swan Lake, The Octopus Project, Wye Oak, Rogue Wave, Erykah Badu, The Roots, Trash Talk, Heartless Bastards, Minus Story, Chairlift, Bitch Magnet, Maserati, 90 Day Men, Rubblebucket, Autopilot Off, Margot & the Nuclear So and So's, Marilyn Manson, John Grant, Elvis Perkins, Jens Lekman, Bono, Two Ton Boa, Pink Mountaintops, Hitch, Logh, Chin Up Chin Up, Sybris, Black Mountain, Baroness, Ximena Sarinana, Lightning Dust, Zzzz, John Vanderslice, Hagfish, Big Harp, Antony and the Johnsons, Mozella, The Toadies, Buddy Miles, MC Breed, William Elliott Whitmore, This Will Destroy You, Lymbyc Systym, Anna Calvi, Micah P. Hinson, Keren Ann, The Appleseed Cast, Port O'Brien, Land of Talk, Brutal Juice, Shearwater, The New Pornographers, Pattern is Movement, Treefight For Sunlight, Bleeding Heart Pigeons, Black Joe Lewis, Pompeii, Waters, Knesset, Budos Band, Murder By Death, Thao and the Get Down Stay Down, Disappears, Two Gallants, We Ragazzi, Dismemberment Plan, Andrew Jackson Jihad, Monika, Mini Mansions, Strand Of Oaks, and Civil Twilight.
Selected Engineering Work
- Dallas Symphony Orch. "A Dayful of Song"
- Kirk Franklin & the Family Kingdom "Come - O.S.T."
- Prince of Egypt -" O.S.T."
- Bono (w/Kirk Franklin) "Lean On Me"
- Nu Nation Project
- Jackie McCullough "This is for You, Lord"
- The Roots w/Erykah Badu "You Got Me" (Single)
- R. Kelly
- MC Breed Let's "Go To the Club"
- Modest Mouse Float on/Bukowski
- Erykah Badu
Musically, Congleton is best known for being a founding member of the band The Paper Chase, an alternative rock band formed in Dallas, TX in 1998. The band was signed to Kill Rock Stars and Southern Records. Their albums "God Bless Your Black Heart" and "Now You Are One Of Us" have been released on vinyl by the Austrian label Trost Records.  Congleton produced all the band's material to date. He also wrote all of the material, with a few exceptions: Bobby Weaver co-wrote "A Face That Could Launch a Thousand Ships" and "Off with Their Heads" from the album Young Bodies Heal Quickly, You Know. Mike Sanger co-wrote "Throw Your Body on the Apparatus", and Elliot Figg co-wrote "When You Least Expect It," both from the aforementioned album.
- Budapest One - This Town Just Gave You a Dreamer
- Thumbsucker Soundtrack
- The New Transit Direction - Wonderful Defense Mechanisms
- 2014 NPR All Songs Considered Interview and Guest DJ Session
- 2011 NPR Interview
- 2010 Tape Op Interview
- interview with audio technology magazine
- interview in sound on sound
- interview with baeble music
- interview with sonic scoop
- tape op live interview by larry crane
- interview with radio.com
- interview with myspace
- Interview gearwire
- Interview - popmatters (August 2006)
- fan tumblr page
- punk planet interview
- everything went black podcast interview
- interview (regarding the nighty nite)
- d magazine interview about producing the walkmen
- d magazine interview
- john congleton's twitter account