tyDi performing at Global Gathering 2008
|Birth name||Tyson Illingworth|
|Also known as||tyDi|
31 May 1987 |
|Genres||EDM, trance, house|
|Occupation(s)||Songwriter, producer, DJ|
tyDi (born Tyson Illingworth, 1987) is an Australian song writer, music producer and DJ specializing in electronic dance music. From Queensland, tyDi was signed by Armin van Buuren’s Armada label at 17 and was Australia’s No.1 DJ in 2008 and 2009, the youngest winner of this award.
He studied at the Queensland Conservatorium of Music and graduated with a Bachelor of Music Technology. In 2009, his first album, Look Closer, reached No. 2 in the Australian Dance charts and in 2010 he won "Best Break-Through DJ" at the International Dance Music Awards (IDMA) in Miami, receiving the award from Tiësto. His second album 'Shooting Stars' was released in 2011. It reached No.1 on the Australian, Canadian, Finnish and UK iTunes Dance charts and No.4 in the USA. Between 2008-12 tyDi was included in the annual DJ Mag Top 100 DJs poll, with his highest position at No. 48 in 2011.
In October 2012, tyDi signed a worldwide publishing deal with Rondor/Universal Music and a record deal with Republic Records in April 2013. His third album, Hotel Rooms, was released 22 November 2013.
Unexpectedly, tyDi released a brand new trance EP, The Promise, on 14 December 2014. All proceeds from the sale of the EP are being donated to charity.
ReDefined, the title track on tyDi's 3rd album reached as high as No.9 on the Billboard Dance/Mix Show Airplay Chart in April 2015.
The Early Years
Tyson is from Mooloolaba on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast. He has three older sisters. At 14, he became keen on dance music, particularly trance. His parents tried unsuccessfully to divert his enthusiasm to a musical instrument (drums), but he soon traded this drum kit for his first set of turntables. However, he was sufficiently interested in music theory to spend most school lunch times writing music. His original inspiration for song writing came from the end of a high school relationship. After two years he entered DJ competitions using his school nickname "tydi". This became "tyDi" from a printing error on a promotional flyer for the Brisbane DJ Wars competition that he won.
After leaving school, he began touring in Australia. In 2006, he entered the Technics InTheMix Australian Top 50 DJs, reaching #12 and after gaining more experience at music festivals in 2007 he reached #4 in the Top 50 DJ charts. In 2008, he became Australia's youngest N#1 DJ and the first non-New South Wales winner of the award.
First Album and further awards
After becoming Australia’s #1 DJ, tyDi released his debut album Look Closer that reached #2 in the Australian Dance Charts. It featured 15 predominantly trance tracks, with a few in other styles ("Interlude", "Let You Go" and "How Much Longer"). As InTheMix put it in May 2009 "Look Closer is an absolute belter of a debut, and displays a musical maturity way beyond Tydi’s years." Website Trance.nu went further saying that Look Closer was "…of world class quality the likes of some of the best trance and progressive artist albums out there." A few months later he mixed a disc for the annual Ministry of Sound Trance Nation release and was again voted Australia's #1 DJ in the Sony In The Mix Top 50 for 2009.
"You Walk Away" (featuring Audrey Gallagher) was his first tyDi original single, followed by others that included "Good Dream", "Vanilla" (featuring Tanya Zygar), "Calling" (again featuring Audrey Gallagher) and the anthem "Half Light" (featuring Tanya Zygar). In February 2010, tyDi won the "Best Breakthrough DJ" award at the International Dance Music Awards. He was presented with the award at a ceremony in Miami by Tiësto. Unsuccessful nominees that year included Boys Noize, Chuckie, Joris Voorn and Super8 & Tab.
August 2011 saw the release of tyDi’s second album, Shooting Stars. It achieved #1 on the Australian, Canadian, UK and Finnish iTunes dance charts and reached number #4 in the USA. The album was departure from his trance background with 18 tracks illustrating many genres of electronic music It featured collaborations with some of dance music’s best vocalists including Tania Zygar, Brianna Holan, Audrey Gallagher and DJ Rap.
Talking Reviews said "For want of a better description, this musical journey is nothing short of astounding and breath taking.” Meanwhile Beat Magazine described the final track – Ariana - with “The final track Ariana could be rated the best album outro of 2011, so be sure to give it a listen." Almost half the tracks have been released in extended club mixes or remixes, extending their longevity.
August 2011 – present
Since the release of Shooting Stars, tyDi has continued touring of the world, playing around 150 shows a year from London to Macau to Sydney, and including regular appearance in his hometown of Brisbane.
tyDi’s release following "Shooting Stars" was "Glow in the Dark", a collaboration with Ultra Records artist Kerli, played on over 10 Top 40 radio stations. The accompanying music video was premiered on VEVO.com and shown on MTV's Clubland. The video highlighting the positive things in life no matter how the darkness of events.
In October 2012, tyDi signed a worldwide publishing deal with Rondor/Universal Music. He signed his first major label record deal with Republic Records (www.RepublicRecords.com) in April 2013.
His EP "When I Go" was released in January 2013 containing two trance tracks, a progressive house number and a chillout track as well as multiple remixes.
As well as working on his chillout album Hotel Rooms (released 22 November 2013), tyDi worked with American producer and DJ BT. They collaborated on two tracks on BT's ninth album A Song Across Wires: "Tonight" (with JES) and "Stem the Tides" (with Tania Zygar).
tyDi's fourth album, Redefined, was released on 30 September 2014. The project features vocals by Chris Carrabba and Jordan Witzigreuter. The album reached #5 on both the USA and Australian iTunes dance charts on day of release.
The album took three years to write and produce, during which time approximately 300 tracks that were started were whittled down to the final 20. The album was not genre specific with house, progressive house, pop (ish), trance and chillout tracks all making the final cut.
On 20 November 2014, tyDi announced that he had made a promise to all of his trance fans and would be producing an EP in time for Christmas with all money being donated to children in need. That EP, The Promise, was released on 14 December 2014. It features five trance tracks in his "old" style (circa 2008) and features not only solo tracks but collaborations with Audrey Gallagher, The Ready Set, Dennis Sheppard and Jennifer Rene.
His accessibility through social media also makes tyDi popular with his fans. By December 2013, he had tweeted over 30,000 times and had over 80,000 followers. By September 2014 his followers had grown to 130,000 and he has tweeted 41,000 times!  As well as music news, tyDi tweets interesting scientific facts and sometimes call fans via his Twitter feed. His Facebook page is "liked" by over 230,000 people.
Global Soundsystem podcast
Since November 2011, tyDi has hosted a weekly radio show/podcast of world electronic dance music called Global Soundsystem. As of 5 December 2013, there have been 213 episodes. On 10 May 2012, the show was shortened from a two-hour to a one-hour format. It is syndicated to more than 30 countries weekly and is available for download via iTunes and more recently SoundCloud.
The 50th episode included many well-known DJs including Paul Oakenfold, Judge Jules, Sasha, Sander Van Doorn and Markus Schulz. The 100th episode was special in a different way with fans introducing all of the tracks.
- Shooting Stars (Armada)
- Global Soundsystem 2012: California (Armada)
- Hotel Rooms (Armada)
- Redefined (Global Soundsystem Records)
- Familiar Streets (Mixology Digital Records)
- Mind Games (Mazeman)
- Never Seems So / Starcrossed (Trancetribe Recordings)
- Russia (Armada Music)
- Fool (Armada Music)
- Under the Stars (Armada Music)
- Kopi Susu (Armada Music)
- Meet Me in Kyoto (Armada Music)
- Somehow (feat. Dennis Sheperd feat. Marcie) (Armada Music)
- You Walk Away (feat. Audrey Gallagher) (Armada Music)
- Is it Cold? (Armada Music)
- Foolish (Armada Music)
- Calling (feat. Audrey Gallagher) (Armada Music)
- Good Dream (Armada Music)
- Vanilla (feat. Tania Zygar) (Armada Music)
- Half Light (feat. Tania Zygar) (Armada Music)
- Talking tTo Myself (feat. DJ Rap) (Armada Music)
- Acting Crazy (feat. Sarah Howells) (Armada Music)
- Never Go Back (feat. Brianna Holen) (Armada Music)
- Why Do I Care (feat. Tania Zygar) (Armada Music)
- Loose Unit (with Richard Durand) (23 January)
- Sex, Lies & Still Oblivious (16 July) (Single + Remix pack)
- Jelly (Unreleased - DJ Mag Top 100 Voters Exclusive)
- Glow in the Dark (feat. Kerli) (22 October)
- Fire & Load (feat. Christina Novelli) (17 December) (Single + Remix Pack)
- Nothing Really Matters (feat. Melanie Fontana) (9 April)
- Something About You (feat. Kerli) (30 July)
- Stem the Tides (with BT and Tania Zygar) (16 August)
- Tonight (with BT and JES) (16 August)
- Live this Lie (feat. Carmen Keigans) (11 November)
- If I Stayed (17 March) (Global Soundsystem Records)
- Pineapple - Dr. Willis vs Tydi (Promo Only) Unreleased
- D:Folt - I Come Running (Armada)
- Re-ward & Dr. Willis - Maybe
- Beat Service & Tucandeo - Waiting for the Sun
- Nadia Ali - Fine Print
- 4 Strings - Take Me Away (with Dennis Shepard)
- Adam K & Soha - Long Distance (Generationext)
- Rank 1 - L.E.D. There Be Light (High Contrast Recordings) [with Trent McDermott]
- Yamin feat. Marcie - Forward Motion (Motion Music)
- Ashley Wallbridge feat. Meighan Nealon "My Blood" (Auryn Music)
- Topher Jones - Different Parts
- Alex Bartlett - [No Title] (Released in 2011 as "Reflected" under the Fabio XB moniker)
- Reckless - Heaven's Scent (tyDi's Vicious ReWrite)
- Lentos - Forget About Us
- Markus Schulz - Without You Near (Bootleg, unreleased)
- BT feat. JES - The Light in Things
- Vegas Baby feat. Angelic - For The Love of You
- Allure feat. JES - Show Me the Way
- Fabio XB - Reflected
- Tenishia & Jan Johnston - As It Should (4 June)
- Andain - Turn Up the Sound (20 June)
- Emma Hewitt - Rewind (20 July)
- Kerli - The Lucky Ones (6 November)
- Cher - Woman's World (22 July)
- Never Seems So/Starcrossed (Trancetribe Recordings)
- Hide/Closer Than My Breath (AVA Recordings)
- When I Go (You Will Know) (S107 Recordings)
- tyDi Remixed (ARVAS)
- The Promise (Global Soundsystem Records)
- "inthemix Interview". Retrieved 2009-02-13.
- "tyDi wins IDMA for 'Best Breakthrough DJ'".
- "DJ Mag Top 100 DJs 2012".
- "DJ Mag Top 100 DJs 2011".
- "DJ Mag Top 100 DJs 2010".
- "DJ Mag Top 100 DJs 2009".
- "tyDi: SIGNS TO REPUBLIC RECORDS + Nothing Really Matters".
- "Interview with tyDi about his album Hotel Rooms".
- "Artist of the Week - tyDi".
- "DJ Interview - tyDi (Australia)".
- "The Technics InThe Mix 50".
- "InThe Mix 50".
- "Sony InThe Mix 50".
- "tyDi - Look Closer".
- "Sony InThe Mix Top 50".
- "25TH ANNUAL INTERNATIONAL DANCE MUSIC AWARDS NOMINEES AND WINNERS".
- "Music Review: tyDi - Shooting Stars".
- "tyDi - Shooting Stars".
- "NEW BT Album: "A Song Across Wires", to be released August 16, 2013". Retrieved 1 June 2013.
- "tyDi - "The Closer I Get" (Feat. Chris Carrabba) song premiere". http://www.altpress.com.
- "tyDi". Facebook. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "tyDi's stream on Soundcloud".
- "TyDi lines up superstar guests for Global Soundsystem #50".