|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2007)|
Urolagnia (also urophilia, undinism, golden shower and watersports) is a form of salirophilia (which is a form of paraphilia) in which sexual excitement is associated with the sight or thought of urine or urination. The term has origins in the Greek language (from ouron, urine, and lagneia, lust).[dead link]
As a paraphilia, urine may be consumed or the person may bathe in it. Other variations include arousal from wetting or seeing someone else urinate in their pants or underclothes, or wetting the bed. Other forms of urolagnia may involve a tendency to be sexually aroused by smelling urine-soaked clothing or body parts. In many cases, a strong correlation or conditioning arises between urine smell or sight and the sexual act. For some individuals the phenomenon may include a diaper fetish and/or arousal from infantilism.
Urolagnia is sometimes associated with, or confused with, arousal from having a full bladder or a sexual attraction to someone else experiencing the discomfort or pain of a full bladder, possibly a sadomasochistic inclination.
- Clothes wetting: The person is sexually aroused by wetting one's clothing or observing another person doing so. Usually that person prefers to stage the wetting so that his/her legs (or other body parts) become soaked with urine. The warm sensation felt when urine trickles on the body seems to give very relaxing and pleasurable feelings to the person. In many cases, that person is also aroused by smelling body parts that have a urine scent. Others get aroused by telling some people about when they lost control and wet themselves. Some prefer a particular type of clothing to urinate.
- Exhibitionism: Becoming noticeably desperate or wetting oneself with the express purpose of being seen by strangers. Practitioners have described going to public places such as a mall or a park. Some intend to create situations where others can see their wet clothing.
- Human urinal: An act common in the bondage sex community where a male or female slave will serve as a urinal for a dominant partner. The slave is usually strictly forbidden from placing their lips directly on the body of the dominant so the practice routinely involves them receiving much of the spray all over their face, hair and body, however, another way of doing this that applies mostly to male dominants, is to place the mouth on the head of the penis and drink the urine as it is released.
- Omorashi: The act of holding one's own urine until the need to urinate is urgent, making another hold in their urine, or watching another person with an urgent need to urinate. This fetish sometimes originates from childhood memories of needing, or of seeing another needing, to urinate. Arousal may be triggered by seeing the body movements or facial expressions of that person. It can also be heightened by the person saying that they have to urinate. The arousal from being desperate comes from the sensation of having a full bladder.
- Pussing: British expression for an activity involving a consenting couple where the male partner watches the woman urinate otherwise undetected in a semi-public place, usually a toilet cubicle at a pub, hotel, restaurant, theatre/cinema, office, club etc. The strategies and tactics that are used to smuggle one of the couple into and out of the toilet undetected are as important or almost as important as the urination. The activity is done by itself or as a part of or prelude to other activities which many times involve sex.
- Voyeurism: Seeing another urinate without the person's knowledge either through video taping by a hidden camera, or by lurking in locations where people are urinating or are likely to have an urge to urinate.
- Havelock Ellis: British sexologist who was impotent until at age sixty he discovered that he was aroused by the sight of a woman urinating.
- Albert Fish: an American serial killer, also known as The Grayman, The Boogeyman. He wrote several letters to widows with want-ads in The New York Times and described in detail women urinating on him, inside of him, and in cups so that he could drink it. He later forced children to drink urine.
- Ashley MacIsaac: Nova Scotian fiddler and singer. In 1996 he spoke with a Maclean's interviewer mentioning his sexual life, including his underage boyfriend and his taste for urolagnia. In 2003 he told an interviewer for the Montreal Mirror that he loves to have men urinate on him.
- Ricky Martin: a Puerto Rican singer. He gave an interview with Blender magazine in which he stated that he enjoyed "golden showers".
- Rockbitch: mostly female British band featuring many sexual acts including urination as part of their stage act.
- Annie Sprinkle: an American porn actress, later turned sex educator and advocate for female sexual enjoyment. Her stage name is derived from her obsession with fluids.
- Troughman: an Australian noted in the Sydney media for lying down in urinal troughs at Sydney Mardi Gras parties and other events.
- R. Kelly: is an American singer-songwriter and record producer. On February 3, 2002, an affair began for which Kelly would eventually receive a full acquittal. On that day, a video surfaced allegedly showing Kelly engaging in sex with, and urinating on, an underage girl. The story, which was released by an unknown source, was sent to the Chicago Sun-Times, the newspaper that broke the story on February 8, 2002.
- Ian Watkins: Former lead singer for the Welsh rock band Lostprophets. Convicted in December 2013 of numerous child sex abuse charges, which include urolagnia. 
In popular culture
- "When I grow up" by Garbage (included in Absolute Garbage, initially released on Version 2.0 January 25, 1999) contains the lyrics:
- Happy hours
- Golden showers
- On a cruise to freak you out
|This section requires expansion. (January 2013)|
Female kob (antelope) perform oral sex on each other and even stroke each other's vulvas with their forelegs. They may exhibit urolagnia during sex, one female will urinate while the other sticks her nose in the stream.
A male Patagonian mara, a type of rodent, will stand on his hind legs and urinate on a female’s rump, to which the female will respond by spraying a jet of urine backwards into the face of the male. The male’s urination is meant to repel other males from his partner while the female’s urination is a rejection of any approaching male when she is not receptive. Both anal digging and urination are more frequent during the breeding season and are more commonly done by males.
- Dorland's Medical Dictionary for Healthcare Consumers
- Colman, Andrew M. (2006). A Dictionary of Psychology. Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-280632-1. Retrieved 2009-01-08.
- Laws, Dr. Richard; William T. O'Donohue (1997). Sexual Deviance: Theory, Assessment, and Treatment. Guilford Press. p. 403. ISBN 978-1-57230-241-9. Retrieved 2009-01-08.
- Andrew Brink (1980), "Havelock Ellis: eros and explanation (review of Phyllis Grosskurth, Havelock Ellis: a Biography)", Russell: the Journal of Bertrand Russell Studies 100 (1)
- Harold Schechter (1990), Deranged: The Shocking True Story of America's Most Fiendish Killer (reedited, illustrated ed.), Simon and Schuster, pp. 92, 271–272, ISBN 9780671678753
- Montreal Mirror report.
- "Ricky Martin outraged over controversy caused by his 'golden shower' comment". Singapore: Agence France-Presse / Yahoo! Singapore Pte. Ltd. 2006-01-14. Archived from the original on 2007-01-25. Retrieved 2013-03-11. "Latin crooner Ricky Martin has expressed outrage over controversy that emerged after he told a leading US music magazine he enjoyed "golden showers" -- the act of urinating on another person. ... "I love giving the golden shower," he told Blender magazine earlier."
- Ricky Martin - Martin Regrets 'Golden Shower' Frankness
- Video of Rockbitch performance.
- Redaction, "Annie Sprinkle", Miradas (in Spanish), "(...) she made herself get called Annie Sprinkle. Sprinkle (...) made reference to her obsession with fluids: "I was attracted by the sprinkles over ice cones and by the sound of humidity. I like cascades, urine, vaginal fluid, sweat, anything wet. So the name "Annie Sprinkle" seemed perfect.""
- Barry Charles (July 2003). "Troughman". Journal of Gay and Lesbian Social Services 15 (3&4): 65–74. doi:10.1300/J041v15n03_06.Robert Reynolds (July 2003). "Editor's Comment: Afternoon Tea with Troughman". Journal of Gay and Lesbian Social Services 15 (3&4): 70–74. doi:10.1300/J041v15n03_06.
- Chicago Sun Times, R. Kelly
- Kick (2001)
- Imaginova (2007e)
- Genest, H. & Dubost, G. (1974) "Pair living in the mara ( Dolichotis paragonum Z ) " Mammalia 38: 155-162.
- TABER, B. E., AND D. W. MACDONALD. (1984) "Scent dispersing papillae and associated behaviour in the mara, Dolichotis patagonum (Rodentia: Caviomorpha) ". Journal of Zoology 203:298-301.
- Charles Fergus (1 September 2000). Wildlife of Pennsylvania: And the Northeast. Stackpole Books. pp. 75–. ISBN 978-0-8117-2899-7. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- Uldis Roze (28 September 2012). Porcupines: The Animal Answer Guide. JHU Press. pp. 97–. ISBN 978-1-4214-0735-7. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- Marshall Cavendish (2007). EXPLORING MAMMALS. Marshall Cavendish. pp. 1088–. ISBN 978-0-7614-7719-8. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- Donna Naughton (2012). A Natural History of Canadian Mammals. University of Toronto Press. pp. 214–. ISBN 978-1-4426-4483-0. Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- Trevor Carnaby (30 January 2008). Beat About the Bush: Mammals. Jacana Media. ISBN 978-1-77009-240-2. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- Media related to Urolagnia at Wikimedia Commons