Uwais al-Qarni Mosque
|Uwais al-Qarni Mosque
مسجد أويس القرني
Uwais al-Qarni Mosque is a Shia mosque in Ar-Raqqah Syria. It contains the shrines of Ammar ibn Yasir and Uwais Qarni who died there. It is near the Bab al-Baghdad which lies adjacent to it and they are both major landmarks in the city.
Desecration of Uwais's Shrine
On March 11, 2013 foreign-backed militants (Free Syrian Army) bombed and heavily damaged the shrines of Uwais al-Qarani and Ammar ibn Yasir located in al-Raqqah, Syria (located approximately 160 km east of Aleppo). The terrorist group al-Nursa, an al-Qaeda linked group, and other Salafi/Wahabi rebels are blamed for the sacrilegious act. On March 13, 2013 the Free Syrian Army claimed responsibility for the destruction of Uwais's and Ammar's shrines. This attack along with the destruction of Hujr ibn Adi's shrine, Syeda Zaynab bint Ali's shrine, and Syeda Ruqayya bint Husain ibn Ali's shrine have been correlated to the Wahabbi movement.
- Hazrat Lal Shahbaz Qalandar of Sehwan-Sharif - Page 87, Inam Mohammad - 1978
- Religion and politics in Central Asia under Saljûqs - Page 198, Naseem Ahmad - 2003
- "Militants Blow up Muslim Shrine in Syria's Raqqa." PressTV. N.p., 12 Mar. 2013. Web. 02 Aug. 2013. <http://www.presstv.com/detail/2013/03/12/293239/militants-destroy-muslim-shrine-in-syria/>
- "Desecration of the Shrines of the Companions of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw)– Ammar Ibn Yassir and Uwais Al-Qarani in Raqqa, Syria." World Federation. N.p., 05 Aug. 2013. Web. 25 Aug. 2013. http://www.world-federation.org/Secretariat/Articles/Desecration_graves_companions_Holy_Prophet_Muhammad_SAW_Ammar_ibn_Yassir_Uwais_alQarani_Raqq_Syria.htm.
- "Syria militants exhume grave of Prophet’s companion". Press TV. 2 May 2013. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
|This article related to Shia Islam is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a mosque or other Islamic place of worship in Syria is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|