Van Alstyne, Texas
|Van Alstyne, Texas|
|Motto: "Proud Past, Bright Future"|
Location of Van Alstyne, Texas
|• Total||3.4 sq mi (8.8 km2)|
|• Land||3.4 sq mi (8.8 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||784 ft (239 m)|
|• Density||733.5/sq mi (283.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1370567|
|Website||City of Van Alstyne, Texas|
Van Alstyne is a city in Grayson and Collin counties in the U.S. state of Texas. The population was 3,046 at the 2010 census. The Grayson County portion of Van Alstyne is part of the Sherman–Denison Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Van Alstyne was built in 1872, for settlers to be near the railroad stop of the Houston and Texas Central Railway. The town was named for either William A. Van Alstyne, a civil engineer with the railroad, or for Marie Van Alstyne, a shareholder in the railroad company.
The town was incorporated in 1890.
Van Alstyne is located at (33.423911, -96.578730).
The racial makeup of the city was 88.7% White, 4.50% African American, .8% Native American, 0.7% Asian, 3.7% from other races, and 2.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 9.4% of the population.
There were 1114 households out of which 37.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 57% were married couples living together, 12.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.8% had a male householder with no wife present, and 25.3% were non-families. 22.4% of all households were made up of householders living alone and 2.0% had a male living alone who was 65 years of age or older, 8.9% had a female living alone who was 65 years of age or older . The average household size was 2.69 and the average family size was 3.5.
In the city the population was spread out with 30.5% under the age of 19, 4.9% from 19 to 24, 24.5% from 25 to 44, 25% from 45 to 64, and 14.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38.2 years. For every 100 females there were 96.2 males. For every 100 females, there were 96.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $51,450, and the median income for a family was $69,773. About 9.5% of families and 10.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 9.6% of those under age 18 and 13.0% of those age 65 or over. Source: U.S. Census Bureau, 2007-2011 American Community Survey
Grayson County College operates a branch campus in Van Alstyne.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Van Alstyne, Texas". Texas State Historical Association. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "Profile for Van Alstyne, Texas, TX". ePodunk. Retrieved July 27, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Van Alstyne Independent School District". Van Alstyne Independent School District. Retrieved July 29, 2012.
- City of Van Alstyne
- Van Alstyne Independent School District
- Van Alstyne Chamber of Commerce
- Van Alstyne Community Development Corporation
- Van Alstyne Economic Development Corporation
- Van Alstyne Police Department
- Van Alstyne Public Library
- City of Van Alstyne Demographics
- Texas State Historical Association