|Date of birth||16 February 1988|
|Place of birth||Kyrksæterøra, Norway|
|Height||1.86 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 13 November 2013.
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Kyrksæterøra, Forren was originally a youth player at local club KIL/Hemne, before starting his professional career with Molde in 2007. After making over 150 appearances for Molde, he joined Southampton in January 2013 for a fee in the region of £4 million, but ended up not playing a single game. He returned to Molde in July 2013 for an undisclosed fee. Forren plays primarily as a centre back.
Forren was discovered by Molde FK when they met KIL/Hemne in the first round of the Norwegian football cup. KIL/Hemne surprisingly won the match 3–1, with Forren and two other young players impressing highly. They were afterwards invited to trial for Molde in a junior tournament. Shortly after Forren signed a 5-year deal with Molde. He took the Tippeligaen with storm and European clubs as A.C. Milan, Newcastle, Liverpool and Hoffenheim, have watched him playing for Molde FK. But Forren said that he will stay in Molde FK for a while, even though his dream is to play in a bigger European league one time. He said that he was still young and have a long career in front of him. He was also linked with Lazio and F.C. Copenhagen.
After winning the Tippeligaen with Molde in 2011, Molde rejected two offers from Club Brugge in December 2011. Forren then won the Norwegian league with Molde in 2012 for the second time in the row and; VG and Aftenposten, along with broadcaster TV2, named Forren as the top defender in the Tippeligaen.
On 18 January 2013, Forren signed for Premier League side Southampton on a three-and a half-year deal for an undisclosed fee. His first game was for the club's under-21 side on 4 March against Liverpool, when he scored the opening goal for the Saints in the 30th minute with a volley. During his whole time at the club, Forren did not make an appearance for the Southampton first team.
Return to Molde
Rumoured to make a return move back to Molde, Forren insisted he wanted to stay at Southampton to fight for his place. However, Forren left Southampton to return to Molde for an undisclosed fee.
Forren made his debut for Norway U21 in the match against Ukraine U21 on 26 March 2008. He played a total of 14 matches for the under-21 team, scoring three goals, and was later capped twice for the under-23 team.
Forren made his debut for Norway in the 2012 King's Cup match against Thailand on 18 January 2012. He also played against South Korea a few days later, but had to wait to October 2012 for his first competitive match when he started the match against Switzerland, and played five consecutive matches alongside Brede Hangeland in Norway's central defence, until he was left out of the Norwegian squad for the match against Albania in June 2013 due to lack of playing time in Southampton.
- As of 13 November 2013
- (Norwegian)"KIL/Hemnes cuphelter skal trene med MFK". Romsdals Budstikke (in Norwegian). Retrieved 10 July 2008.[dead link]
- (Norwegian)"KIL/Hemnes cuphelt signerte for MFK". Romsdals Budstikke (in Norwegian). Retrieved 3 August 2008.[dead link]
- (Norwegian)"Storspilte med Milan og Newcastle på tribunen". VG (in Norwegian). Retrieved 21 September 2008.
- (Norwegian)"Liverpool så Molde-spiller". Nettavisen (in Norwegian). Retrieved 24 August 2008.
- (Norwegian)"Forren kobles til Bundesliga-klubb". VG (in Norwegian). Retrieved 2 July 2008.
- (Norwegian)"Lazio vil ha Forren". TV 2 Sporten (in Norwegian). Retrieved 25 August 2009.
- (Norwegian)"Forren vil vurdere FC København-tilbud". TV 2 Sporten (in Norwegian). Retrieved 11 November 2009.
- "Molde avviste to Brugge-bud på Forren". db.no (in Norwegian). Dagbladet. 21 December 2011. Retrieved 25 December 2011.
- "Meet Southampton's new signing Vegard Forren: The Norway defender 'good enough to play for Manchester United'". Goal.com. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 13 July 2013.
- "In Profile – Vegard Forren" (in English). Southampton FC. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 18 January 2013.
- "Saints U21s 1–1 Liverpool U21s: Report". Southampton F.C. 4 March 2013. Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Lønning, Simen (17 June 2013). "Uviss framtid for Vegard Forren" (in Norwegian). Nettavisen. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Southampton defender Forren rejects Molde loan return". Goal.com. 29 June 2013. Retrieved 13 July 2013.
- "Southampton release Richard Chaplow and Vegard Forren". BBC Sport. 11 July 2013. Retrieved 13 July 2013.
- "Gullballen til Vegard Forren" (in Norwegian). Verdens Gang. Norwegian News Agency. 25 November 2012. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "Vegard Forren's profil". fotball.no (in Norwegian). Football Association of Norway. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- "Reginiussens deilige landslagsrevansj". fvn.no (in Norwegian). Fædrelandsvennen. 18 January 2012. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- Saltbones, Fredrik (12 October 2012). "Søderlund og Forren starter for Norge" (in Norwegian). Adresseavisa. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Hustad, Trond (22 May 2013). "- Overrasket og skuffet" (in Norwegian). Romsdals Budstikke. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- (Norwegian)Vegard Forren profile at altomfotball.no
- Vegard Forren career stats at Soccerbase
- (Norwegian) Player profile on official club website
- (Norwegian) National Caps
- (Norwegian) From working at REMA to playing for the national team