July 21, 1982 |
|Notable work(s)||Buzz Out Loud, Mahalo Daily, Qore, Tekzilla|
|Web hosting service(s)||Revision3
Veronica Ann Belmont (born July 21, 1982) was formerly the co-host of the Revision3 show Tekzilla alongside Patrick Norton. Veronica was the co-host of the former TWiT.tv gaming show Game On! along with Brian Brushwood, and the former host of the monthly PlayStation 3-based video on demand program Qore. Additionally, she was the host for the Mahalo Daily podcast and a producer and associate editor for CNET Networks, Inc. where she produced, engineered, and co-hosted the podcast Buzz Out Loud.
At the time of Belmont's birth, her mother was a vice president at Coleco. Belmont went to school at Conard High School in West Hartford, CT before attending Emerson College, in Boston, Massachusetts, to study audio production and new media studies. She worked briefly in Boston afterwards, and eventually secured an internship at CNET. Belmont currently resides in San Francisco, California with her husband, former Engadget editor Ryan Block.
Belmont started as an intern producing audio content for CNET Networks. She was hired full-time six months later to produce their "First Look from the Labs" series, and also began producing Buzz Out Loud. Originally she was the sound engineer and producer of the show, but her role on the podcast grew substantially. She began to inject her own commentary, and was acknowledged as an official co-host in August 2006. She also was the producer and co-host of two more CNET podcasts called MP3 Insider and CRAVE Gadget Blog, which were both co-hosted by James Kim.
Belmont made her video debut on CNET on April 6, 2006, on an Insider Secrets segment titled "Give your PC a Mac-over". Since then, she has hosted videos from Maker Faire, CES, and South by Southwest. She was also the host of the Prizefight series. She appeared for the final time in CNET TV on July 25, 2007, in the iPhone vs Nokia N95 edition of Prizefight".
Belmont left CNET on July 20, 2007 to join Mahalo. She hosted and produced her own podcast called Mahalo Daily covering subjects of her choosing. Her first video was an interview with Leeroy Jenkins at BlizzCon 2007. On April 2, 2008, Belmont announced that she would be leaving Mahalo Daily within two weeks. This was reported by TV Week on April 3, 2008.
On April 9, 2008, Revision3 announced that Belmont would be joining the Revision3 staff as co-host of Tekzilla By May 2008, she became host of Tekzilla Daily Tip.
October 2, 2012 Belmont began hosting Fact or Fictional. A short format show on Revision3's new YouTube channel techfeed. The show examines technology from popular fictional media and determines if the technology is/could be real. On November 12, 2013, Belmont said farewell to Tekzilla and Revision3.
In June 2008, Sony Computer Entertainment announced a new subscription-based "monthly lifestyle gaming program" called Qore that would be hosted by Belmont. On October 19, 2011 she announced via her blog that she would be stepping down as host.
Sword and Laser
On October 16, 2007, Belmont started co-hosting a podcast with Tom Merritt of CNET and TWIT's Tech News Today fame. As the name implies, it is strictly about science-fiction and fantasy books and debuted with Neuromancer by William Gibson. Prior to the creation of the podcast, it was a book club in forum form. This format lasted through the first 3 books, which were, The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and American Gods by Neil Gaiman, with the subsequent creation of the podcast.
On October 30, 2011, Leo Laporte announced on This Week in Tech (TWiT) that Veronica Belmont would cohost TWiT's upcoming gaming show with Brian Brushwood called Game On!. The show's first official episode aired January 15, 2012 at 6:00pm Pacific time on a live webcast in the TWiT network. The last episode of the show was uploaded on April 9, 2012.
In 2010's Fallout New Vegas, she was the voice of Light Switch 01, Light Switch 02, Stealth Suit Mk II and Christine Royce.
References and notes
- "Buzz Out Loud 1588: loved the show". CBS Interactive. 5 April 2012. Retrieved September 19, 2012.
- Growing Up Geek: Veronica Belmont, http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/21/growing-up-geek-veronica-belmont
- Veronica Belmont Fast Facts from Mahalo
- Belmont, Veronica (2007-07-10). "Big (early) announcement day!". Retrieved 2007-11-14. "So, this announcement is coming sooner than I expected, but a little birdie was set loose into the blogosphere today, so here we are! It’s true, I’m leaving CNET to work full-time for Mahalo, producing a daily video show."
- Veronica Belmont » Interview: Leeroy Jenkins
- Moving on to new projects - Veronica Belmont
- Belmont Says Aloha to ‘Mahalo’ - TVWeek - News
- "Revision3 says "aloha" to internet superstar Veronica Belmont" (Press release). Revision3. 2008-04-09. Retrieved 2008-04-11. "She will bring that same genius to Revision3, where she will co-host Tekzilla"
- "Revision3 Launches Tech Feed" (Press release). Revision3. 2012-10-08. Retrieved 2013-03-19. "Fact or Fictional with Veronica Belmont"
- "PSN subscription-based Qore features exclusive content" (Press release). ars technica. 2008-06-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Veronica Belmont.|