|Launched||29 March 1998|
|Owned by||BBC Worldwide|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
|Headquarters||New York City, New York|
|Sister channel(s)||BBC Entertainment, BBC World News|
|Dish Network||135 (HD/SD)|
|C-Band – H2H/4DTV||AMC 18 – Channel 202|
|Available on most US cable systems||Consult your local cable provider for channel availability|
|AT&T U-verse||122 (SD)
|Verizon FiOS||689 (HD)
Unlike the BBC's domestic channels in the United Kingdom, the network is not subject to funding from the UK licence fee by law (which is the principal funding for the BBC's channels within the United Kingdom); the BBC cannot fund any of its channels that are not available in the United Kingdom; therefore, BBC America operates as an advertiser-supported channel and accepts traditional advertising. In addition to advertising revenue, It is also funded by cable and satellite TV license fees.
As of August 2013, BBC America is available to approximately 80,066,000 television households (70.11% of cable, satellite and telco customers) in the United States.
BBC America was launched on 29 March 1998, maintaining a format of comedy, drama and lifestyle programmes from BBC Television and other British television broadcasters like ITV and Channel 4. In the channel's early days, it focused on repeats of popular lifestyle shows such as Changing Rooms and Ground Force. BBC America's head of television programming later stated that it was important for the channel to establish a niche since non-UK viewers found the lifestyle shows appealing. Most of the newer programming appeared as part of BBC America's evening schedule.
The network removed the popular British soap opera EastEnders from its schedule in 2003 due to low ratings; however the programme's removal from BBC America provoked complaints from viewers, which caught media attention.
After CEO Paul Lee was appointed president of ABC Family in 2009, the network appointed Bill Hilary from Comedy Central to serve as its chief executive officer. Hilary appointed Kathryn Mitchell to the newly created position of general manager. Under Hilary's tenure, BBC America was restructured; it moved its main offices to New York City and saw its programming budget increase substantially. The channel was led by Garth Ancier, who served as the president of BBC Worldwide Americas from February 2007 until 2010, when he was succeeded by former MTV Networks executive Herb Scannell. Meanwhile, Perry Simon serves as general manager.
BBC America HD
BBC America HD is a 1080i high definition simulcast feed of BBC America with British-originated programming converted from the Eurasian DVB standard to the North American ATSC standard. It is available nationally by satellite provider Dish Network, DirecTV, and regionally by Xfinity by Comcast, Charter Communications, Cablevision, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, Verizon FIOS, AT&T U-verse and some smaller providers. Like all Discovery-run networks, NTSC 480i standard definition programming, with an additional step of conversion from the 576i PAL format for British-originated programming, is shown in 14:9 on the HD feed.
The following is a list of some of the current programming that is currently airing on the channel. While many of the shows were produced by the BBC, some of the shows were produced by other British networks. The channel also includes some reruns of American programming.
- Almost Royal
- BBC World News
- Doctor Who
- The Graham Norton Show
- In the Flesh
- Intruders (Original Series)
- Kitchen Nightmares
- Law & Order: UK
- The Musketeers
- Orphan Black (Original Series)
- Planet Earth
- Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares
- Star Trek: The Next Generation
- Top Gear
- Wild Things with Dominic Monaghan
Most of the non-news programming on the channel is edited either for adult content or to allow for commercials. However, occasionally comedy shows run in specially formatted 40-minute blocks and a few first-run drama programmes air in a longer block that allows them to run to their original broadcast length, though adult content can be edited.
In the mid-2000s, BBC America produced a few of its own shows along with some joint productions. These have included Sharpe's Challenge, part of the Sharpe series of made-for-television movies and co-produced with ITV; as well as The State Within and Jekyll, which were co-productions with the BBC. The first original series produced solely by the channel was Copper, which premiered in the summer of 2012.
The weekday morning (6:00–9:00 am Eastern Time) simulcast used to include BBC World News bulletins, World Business Report, Sport Today, Asia Today and a one-hour bulletin called World News Today. Most of these were removed from the schedule without any announcement on 6 April 2009. The weekend morning (6:00–6:30 am ET) simulcast was also abruptly dropped on 4 April 2009. According to BBC America, the simulcast was dropped because of disappointing ratings.
From 2007 to 2011, BBC America aired BBC World News America, a live Washington, DC-based programme anchored by Matt Frei. Katty Kay served as a Washington-based correspondent. On 18 February 2011, network management announced that BBC World News America would be dropped from BBC America and would instead be airing only on BBC World and PBS member stations in the United States.
The network was in discussions to unveil a weekly news programme fronted by Newsnight host Jeremy Paxman, who was to introduce a synopsis of Newsnight items with an international aspect and was expected to bring his brash interviewing style to bear on American politicians. An international edition of Newsnight debuted on 29 February 2008, in the 10 pm time slot. This programme was cancelled in November 2008, but the announcement of the programme's cancellation was not released until April 2009.
During major breaking news situations, the network will sometimes preempt regular programming to carry coverage from BBC World News (the London bombings in July 2005 were one such example). BBC World News itself is not currently widely available in the US as a separate channel (although it is carried on several cable systems throughout the United States, generally in lieu of BBC America; one previous example is New York City-based Cablevision, which did not carry BBC America until August 2011) or in a 30-minute telecast on public television stations daily.
BBC America is available in Bermuda on both Bermuda CableVision's digital cable service, and the WOW (World on Wireless) service, as well as in Barbados on Multi-Choice TV's wireless service, on Weststar TV in the Cayman Islands,Grenada on Flow Digital Cable, and on SXM Cable & Data in Sint Maarten. It is also available in the US territory of Guam on MCV Broadband and GTA Teleguam's IPTV service,.
- BBC America - Frequently Asked Questions
- Seidman, Robert (23 August 2013). "List of How Many Homes Each Cable Networks Is In - Cable Network Coverage Estimates As Of August 2013". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- BBC America Press - Corporate
- BBC NEWS | Entertainment | TV and Radio | EastEnders returns to US screens
- BBC AMERICA; Alas, 'East Enders' - New York Times
- Arts, Briefly; A Reprieve for 'EastEnders' - New York Times
- "Home - BBC America Press". Press.bbcamerica.com. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- List of DISH HD Programming
- On August 15 four exciting channels will be available in eye-popping HD! DirecTV press release, 15 August 2012
- "Comcast crunchbase". http://www.crunchbase.com. 30 December 2013.
- "Charter Communications, Inc. Company Profile". http://www.hoovers.com.
- "Cablevision Systems Corporation". http://www.google.com/finance.
- BBC America HD Launches in NYC on TWC
- "Company Overview of Cox Communications, Inc.". http://investing.businessweek.com. 30 January 2014.
- Verizon Adds BBC AMERICA HD to FiOS TV Lineup
- Press, Joy (4 January 2012). "BBC America gives details about its first original drama, 'Copper'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- http://www.bbcamerica.com/schedule/ BBC America television schedule
- BBC America drops BBC World
- "'BBC World News America' Shifts To BBC World News - February 18, 2011 20:13:35 | Multichannel News". Multichannel.com. Retrieved 17 December 2011.
- Welcome To Bermuda CableVision
- WOW :: World On Wireless - Bermuda
- Multi-Choice TV
- Weststar TV
- Flow Digital
- MCV Broadband Guam: High-Definition Television
- Guam Cable TV vs GUdTV - Schedules and Channel line up - GTA Teleguam
- BBC America website
- BBC America on Facebook
- BBC America on Google+
- @BBCAMERICA on Twitter
- Anglophenia—BBC America's blog