||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011)|
Vicci Martinez at the 2012 Gracie Awards at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles, CA 05/22/2012
|Born||September 21, 1984|
|Origin||Tacoma, Washington, United States|
|Instruments||Vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, percussion|
|Years active||2000 – present|
|Associated acts||CeeLo Green, Beverly McClellan, Javier Colon, Dia Frampton, Jamar Rogers,Casey Weston|
Vicci Martinez (born September 21, 1984) is an American singer/songwriter from Tacoma, Washington, who is now signed with Republic Records (Universal Music Group). She came in joint third on NBC's singing competition series The Voice in 2011.
Biography and career
Martinez the daughter of a Mexican plumber dad and an ESL teacher mom graduated from Stadium High School in Tacoma, Washington. She first took the stage at the age of 16. Grounded firmly in the acoustic-rock tradition, Vicci Martinez writes and performs music that is personal and often autobiographical. She has received critical acclaim for her live performances.
After the 2005 release of her album, On My Way, Martinez went on tour and released a full-length concert DVD and documentary in 2006 titled Vicci Martinez Live. The DVD, produced by Joel Veatch and Flying Spot, received positive press attention. Vicci also released a live CD that had been recorded at Jazzbones, a musical venue in Tacoma, Washington.
Martinez won the regional tryouts for the first season of American Idol, but declined the invite to the second round due to her belief that the contract was too restrictive. She later appeared on CBS's 2003 season of Star Search.
In 2011, Martinez competed on U.S. talent show The Voice. Billboard magazine praised her diverse performance abilities saying "she gives every song a mature delivery and she appears comfortable in whatever skin she has chosen to adopt on a given night. With a drum corps alongside her and a backstory about her late father to warm the heart, she tore through Florence and the Machine's "Dog Days Are Over" with alacrity; the closing performance Tuesday was also the night's best performance." Martinez came in first place on judge Cee Lo Green's team and represented him in the final round. She finished third overall.
In 2011 after her appearance on The Voice, Martinez signed a record deal according to her "Voice" coach Cee Lo Green. Her EP "Come Along" was released on May 1, followed by her Universal Republic album debut "Vicci" on June 19.
Her current chart hit, "Come Along," features Cee Lo Green and is a cover of a 2001 single from Swedish recording act Titiyo. The song was a top 20 hit throughout Central Europe but was not released in the U.S. or U.K.
- 2000: VMB
- 2003: Sleep to Dream
- 2005: On My Way
- 2006: Vicci Martinez Live
- 2007: I Could Be a Boxer
- 2009: From the Outside In
- 2010: I Love You in the Morning
- 2011: Live From Jazzbones
- 2012: Vicci (Universal Republic)
- 2012: Come Along (Universal Republic)
- 2015: I Am
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"Jolene"||2011||76||—||Non-album releases from The Voice|
|"Dog Days Are Over"||68||—|
|"Love Is a Battlefield" (featuring Cee Lo Green)||102||—|
|"Afraid to Sleep"||78||26|
|"Come Along" (featuring Cee Lo Green)||2012||—||—||Vicci|
|"I Can Love"||2013||—||—|
- "Vicci Martinez, December 29th, 2007, The Triple Door, Seattle, Washington". rivetingriffs.com. Riveting Riffs Ltd. December 29, 2007. Archived from the original on 2008-09-26. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
- Sailor, Craig (June 22, 2011). "Whatever happens on 'The Voice,' Vicci Martinez feels like a winner". The News Tribune.
- "'The Voice': Vicci Martinez Does Florence & the Machine Proud, Plus 7 More Highlights". billboard.com. Billboard. June 22, 2011.
- Ricky. "Mr.". Twitter.
- Vicci Martinez Official Website
- Vicci Martinez Official Myspace Site
- Vicci Martinez Official Facebook Site
- Vicci Martinez Official Twitter Site
- Vicci Martinez Official YouTube Channel
- Flying Spot Entertainment
- Vicci on SonicBids
- Vicci Martinez Army - First Fan Website for Vicci Martinez