Volkan playing for Turkey in 2008
|Full name||Volkan Demirel|
|Date of birth||27 October 1981|
|Place of birth||İstanbul, Turkey|
|Height||1.91 m (6 ft 3 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:30, 18 January 2013 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Volkan Demirel (Turkish: [voɫkan demiɾeɫ]; born 27 October 1981,) is a Turkish goalkeeper who plays for the Süper Lig club Fenerbahçe and is also the goalkeeper for the Turkey national football team. Demirel was the starting goalkeeper of the Fenerbahçe side that reached the quarter-finals of the 2007–08 UEFA Champions League. He was also the starting goalkeeper of the Turkey side that reached the semi-finals of UEFA Euro 2008. Demirel married Miss Belgium 2009 Zeynep Sever on 21 September 2010.
Demirel was born in Fatih, İstanbul. He joined Kartalspor as an 18-year old in 1999 and became the starting goalkeeper the following year. Demirel played in 51 matches over the next two seasons, earning a transfer to Fenerbahçe at the start of the 2002 season.
Originally backing up Rüştü Reçber and Recep Biler, Demirel made his debut for the club on 26 April 2003. After Reçber's transfer to Barcelona, Demirel competed in 19 league matches, splitting time with Biler (who played in 14 matches). He also featured in three Turkish Cup matches and won the 2003-4 Süper Lig title with Fenerbahçe. The following season, Demirel won another Süper Lig title, but was relegated to the bench after Rüştü Reçber returned to the club at the start of the season. Demirel was the starting goalkeeper at the start of the 2005–06 season, but was benched halfway through the season. At the start of the 2006–07, Demirel was the first choice keeper, but was supplanted by Reçber for a second time. After Reçber suffered an injury, Serdar Kulbilge took over as starting goalkeeper in favor of Demirel for the rest of the season. Demirel played in 25 league matches the following season, with Kulbilge playing the rest. Demirel was the starting goalkeeper for the Fenerbahçe squad that progressed past the group stages of the 2007–08 UEFA Champions League. In the Round of 16 tie with Sevilla, Demirel made several mistakes, costing two goals. However, he went on to save three penalties in the penalty shootout, helping the club progress to the quarter-finals, the first time in club history. Fenerbahçe went on to face Chelsea, losing 2–3 on aggregate. Following Kulbilge's transfer to Kocaelispor, Demirel took over as starting goalkeeper. Demirel signed a four-year contract extension at the end of the 2008–09 season.
Demirel was called up to the Turkey U-20 squad in 2001, being capped four times. He was capped by the Turkey national under-21 football team 21 times between 2001 and 2003, and earned his first call up to the Turkey national football team in 2004. He made his debut for the national team on 28 April 2004 in a friendly against Belgium. Demirel came on as a substitute in the second half. Demirel was the starting goalkeeper for the Turkey national football team at the UEFA Euro 2008 championships, reaching the semi-finals for the first time in team history. Demirel started all three group stages matches, but was suspended for two matches after receiving a red card against the Czech Republic for viciously pushing Jan Koller to the ground after Jan for unknown reasons ran and shouted at him.
Correct as of 2 February 2012
- Turkish Süper Lig (5): 2003–04, 2004–05, 2006–07, 2010–11, 2013–14
- Süper Kupa (3): 2007, 2009, 2014
- Turkish Cup (2): 2011–12, 2012–13
- UEFA Champions League 2007-08: Quarter-finals (1)
- UEFA Europa League 2012-13: Semi-finals (1)
- VOLKAN DEMİREL tff.org (Turkish), accessed 23 August 2010
- "Volkan Demirel dünya evine girdi" (in Turkish). fenerbahce.org. Retrieved 22 September 2010.
- "Kaleci Volkan evlendi". Cumhuriyet (in Turkish). 22 September 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-22.
- VOLKAN DEMİREL'İN PERFORMANSI turkfutbolu.net (Turkish), accessed 23 August 2010
- FENERBAHÇE 1–1 SAMSUNSPOR tff.org (Turkish), accessed 23 August 2010
- SPOR TOTO SÜPER LİG ŞAMPİYONLUKLARI tff.org (Turkish), accessed 23 August 2010
- SERDAR KULBİLGE tff.org (Turkish), accessed 23 August 2010
- Volkan the hero as Turkey's Fenerbahce beats Sevilla hurriyet.com.tr (English), accessed 24 August 2010
- Fenerbahce beats Sevilla on penalties to reach Champions League quarter-finals dailymail.co.uk (English), accessed 24 August 2010
- BELÇİKA 2–3 TÜRKİYE tff.org (Turkish), accessed 24 August 2010
- Volkan Suspended For Two Games, Turkey Fined goal.com (English), accessed 24 August 2010
- "Volkan Demirel Stats". www.mackolik.com. Retrieved 2010-09-10.
- Includes the Süper Kupa
- Volkan Demirel – UEFA competition record
- Volkan Demirel – FIFA competition record
- Profile at Fenerbahce.org (Turkish)